DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    For me, the big thing about hammock camping is comfort. I backpack the AT in Virginia alot and the rocky soil is something my back no longer tolerates even at my young age. Nothing worse than waking up the next day with a sore back and shoulders and having to hike 12 miles over to the other side of the mountain.

Plus I always hated having to look for preexisting campsites to find semi-flat ground to set up my tent. Now I can set up my hammock wherever I need to. So location choices is also a big advantage to hammocks.

As far as winter camping in sub-freezing temps with ample snow, watch Shug's Videos. Hes the expert on that.

In the Summer Time, hammocks own the forest. Much lighter weight than a tent and waaaay more comfortable. Also, much cooler than a tent. Plus during downpours its nice to sit in a hammock an look out around you vs being locked down inside a tent staring at 4 walls.

Just my personal likes about hammocks vs dislikes about tents.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Plus during downpours its nice to sit in a hammock an look out around you vs being locked down inside a tent staring at 4 walls.
    An added benefit to that is when the torrents run underneath you, and puddles are becoming small lakes, and you hang dry above it all. DAMHIK..

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Due to injuries the hardest thing for me to do is get up and down from the ground, plus all the bending over and crawling around one must do to pitch a tent. A hammock is all at a comfortable level for pitching and striking, and it's like getting in and out of a bed.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hammock camping re-invigorated my whole backpacking experience.
    Here is my deep winter way to hammock in the video below using a sleeping bag around the hammock and some supplemental insulation inside that.
    Hope it works out for you.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Shug
    Thanks for your input. I went through some of your video's and found lots of good information. I must say you had me in stitches. Great job.

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Just to make sure it does not get overlooked.

Test in the yard before you go out into something you cant get out of easily if things go wrong with your new gear. Leave yourself an "OUT" until you are very familiar with using your gear and knowing it's limits. Always have a plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by webhanger View Post
    Just to make sure it does not get overlooked.

Test in the yard before you go out into something you cant get out of easily if things go wrong with your new gear. Leave yourself an "OUT" until you are very familiar with using your gear and knowing it's limits. Always have a plan B.
    Always good advise Webhanger.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12