Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    just look at the ss design, its easy to replicate cheap. probably would only take a few hours.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    I've used a ThermaRest and a TNF Cat's Meow down to the mid-upper 30's in a HH classic entry(bottom) and was almost too warm, not warm enough to vent, but warm enough that it could have gotten colder and still been fine
    Used the same setup in the high 40s at 5000 feet during a windy, misty, damp night. Sweated my back off on that thermarest... Wound up leaving sleeping bag open from the waist up, with a light fleece blanket on top of me (I use it as a bag liner because it feels better than the nylon) I have no doubt with the thermarest I could have gone much colder with that setup, especially with the bag zipped up and the liner inside. I had the rainfly flaps closed in tight, which was a problem with condensation, but it was so moist outside, EVERYTHING was wet in the morning. Water condensed on the trees and rained down on me all night. But it sure beat the 95 degree weather down at 500 feet...
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer and ENO
    Tarp
    stock
    Insulation
    The Nest JRB
    Suspension
    Knots
    dont know if this would help, but im sure on the forums people have been making underquilts and top quilts from poncho liners, so i imagine you could use a a couple poncho liners

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 multicam
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad, sleeping
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A military surplus poncho liner, or woobie, should do well as an under quilt. It will have ties already built on to it and can be used for many other things as well. I'm sure one of the more senior members can correct me if I am wrong but this is what I plan to do with the woobie I have on order.
    Last edited by ZakBait; 12-24-2012 at 22:37. Reason: the post above me seems to have addressed this issue

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    I have used the blue ccf in my HHBPUL with bottom entry. It was a straight unmodified pad (no SPE). I placed a wool blanket over it to lie on, which helped avoid the cold shoulder syndrome. There is a knack to getting into the bottom entry which entails rolling the bottom half of the ccf/blanket up, sitting down, and then lifting legs to unroll ccf/ blanket. The wool between myself and the pad likely helped avoid condensation problems others have talked about. I also did the woodsmans blanket roll which offers extra insulation around your feet. Remember to have him do a test hang somewhere with an easy bailout if needed.
    Hangin' High and Dry

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Cuben Cuben Cuben
    Insulation
    FEATHERS N STUFF
    Suspension
    DiY Mule LarksHead
    Images
    This thread gave me exactly what I wanted to hear before I try winter hammocking for the first time

Just scored a Coleman 0 degree mummy bag and a Thermarest trail mattress for Christmas. Not exactly sure how these will fair in the HH scout zip with a bubble radiant pad but will be testing soon

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by brown4914 View Post
    This thread gave me exactly what I wanted to hear before I try winter hammocking for the first time

Just scored a Coleman 0 degree mummy bag and a Thermarest trail mattress for Christmas. Not exactly sure how these will fair in the HH scout zip with a bubble radiant pad but will be testing soon
    You will be just fine with that set up in your Scout. Do a test hang close to home to see if you need more or less clothing.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

I got a HH expedition zip for Xmas and am planning on using it tonight at -5 to -10c with 40-60 km winds and snow.

My question is what order do you layer the pads, reflector and use what I have on hand. I have some good ideas and am not a complete newb but I don't feel like learning on my own when others have already.

At my disposal I have a 1/2" CCF, windshield bubble reflector, -7/20* synthetic mummy bag, fleece rectangular liner or over bag, and a reusable emergency reflective tarp (SOS).

My sleeping bag has straps on the bottom to hold the pads in place. I plan on wearing medium fleece top and bottom and wool socks x2.
    Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12