WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

How much tension on the ridgeline?

Sorry if this has been asked many times before, my search fu is weak. How much tension is put on the ridgeline in the hammock when you lie in it? I want to make it removable, and am wondering what kind of attachment I should use - like if I need a heavy-dut biner or not?

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I'd look at getting an adjustible ridge line. basically a real long whoopie sling.
    Most say that you should lay in the hammock and then be able to reach up and with your thumb and index finger, be able to vertically turn the ridgeline close to 90 degrees. So the line has enough slack in it to go from horizonal to verticle and then it would be tight. the verticle part is just an inch or two.

Here is one
    CLICK THIS
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks. I mean a little different though - I want to make it detatchable, and was wondering if the tension is low enough to use just a regular carabiner, or if I need to use something more heavy-duty.

But you reminded me about the level of tension that ususally works, and that isn't too much since you can bend the line! So thanks!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    There should be only enough tension to keep it straight so the it will hold up a bugnet and headlamp.

That being said, some hangers like to stretch their hammocks guitar string tight (make that, piano string tight) so if you are one of those, act accordingly.

In light of recent reports of trees falling down, I strongly recommend the no tension setup.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    It depends entirely on the hang angle, which is a function of distance between trees and elevation of the straps on the trees.

If the hang angle is more than 30* then you may dispose of the SRL. If it is less than 30* the SRL will begin to work, which means it begins to bear some of the load. Since they are usually of lesser material one ought not to hang much more shallow than a 30* angle with a conventional set up.

In SLS (single line suspension) systems (a different animal) the SRL bears weight and so is intergrated somehow, usually being of one piece with the rest of the suspension. It must be much stronger than a conventional SRL, at least equal to the rest of the suspension.

Since I switched to 1/8" Amsteel for suspension, including the SRL, I don't worry about the hang angle so much and have achieved a span of 32 feet. But I weigh only 165 pounds.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Images
    Dutch Ridgline Carabiners
    Hammock Calculator wil give you an idea of the force put on the ridgline.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I used to use a light weight chain link, but recently sprung for a Dutch ridge line biner. Worth the $$. I keep my RL fairly taut, but can still flex it between two fingers. It's adjustable, so I can fiddle with the tension if I want.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked many times before, my search fu is weak. How much tension is put on the ridgeline in the hammock when you lie in it? I want to make it removable, and am wondering what kind of attachment I should use - like if I need a heavy-dut biner or not?
    It depends on the angle of your support lines / distance between trees.
    If your trees are 20+' apart your angle will be low and your ridge line will carry the load allowing your hammock to sag. If the trees r 8-10' apart the ridge line will be slack with no load.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    My hammock has a 6-8" loop of amsteel on each end going through a rap ring. I then clove hitched the woopies to that. For the SRL I use a UCR clove hitched on one ring and doubled back threw the other. Removable & adjustable.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    If you can strum a tune out on it, then it's entirely too tight Measuring from suspension to suspension on hammock (where it gathers) start with rideline length that is 83% of that. Mess with from that point to find your ideal lay a little at a time. That is why adjustable is ideal. You can do removable though, it's just more of a PITA to figure out, one of our Eno DN had a removable ridgeline because my son hated them during day use, so it's doable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast