DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by packdaddy View Post
    MDSH - How would you use it? Would you use it as is, or DIY something?
    I'd DIY a DL hammock and use it between the layers for winter warmth. Some people are allergic to down.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Weighing options
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I think I'd be interested, headed to my first winter hang this weekend and am worried that my 24" W x 74" L pad is going to leave me with cold shoulders. Actually the 39" W pad from Gossamer Gear would be great if it was longer, 59" is too short for really cold weather in my as of yet un-experienced opinion. And I am a little paranoid about winter insulation simply because weather forecasts at altitude (say above 10,000') tend to change rapidly and 20 F predicted low can quickly change to a -20 F low.

Jory

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Quote Originally Posted by jobo View Post
    I think I'd be interested, headed to my first winter hang this weekend and am worried that my 24" W x 74" L pad is going to leave me with cold shoulders. Actually the 39" W pad from Gossamer Gear would be great if it was longer, 59" is too short for really cold weather in my as of yet un-experienced opinion. And I am a little paranoid about winter insulation simply because weather forecasts at altitude (say above 10,000') tend to change rapidly and 20 F predicted low can quickly change to a -20 F low.

Jory
    I doubt you will enjoy a pad like that. Shoulders quickly become cold and wake you up when you shift off a pad plus these won't keep you warm at these temps. You best do some research. An Underquilt is a must for comfort and warmth. also a hammock sock is nice to block wind and spindrift as well as keep you warmer. For spring and fall I plan to do a pad or sandwich raw synthetic insulation between the layers of my hammock so as not to compress it.

Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Weighing options
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Here is the full picture, didn't give all the details in my post showing interest...

The pads are actually to supplement a 20 deg 3/4 UQ, I have 5/8" total in thickness of CCF. Plus put together a wider bit of reflectix to help with cold shoulders. I have a sock for the hammock, and doors on the tarp. Plan to trench in the tarp to help trap a little more heat and reduce convection loss. 1.7 DL hammock to help keep it in place, along with an extra-wide 0 deg top quilt from UGQ at 56" in ensure I have enough tuck. Packing in some extra long underwear, basspro 1.0 and 3.0 baselayers along with UA basemap and base4.0 which all fit over each other nicely - not as many layers for the legs. For heat I've got 3x SS water bottles that I trust not to leak to be filled with hot water, and packing in lots of chemical heaters as well just in case. Almost forgot GoLite's warmest hooded down jacket. And the weather guess is favorable (always still unpredictable) at lows in the teens with daytime highs getting close to 40 (t-shirt weather).

Sadly I just found out Tuesday that my UQ wasn't going to arrive in time, and when I asked if my pads only would leave me freezing and for any other last minute insulation suggestions I received two very generous offers of loans on the same UQ (yeti) that I am awaiting delivery in both 20 deg and 0 deg versions. Thanks again to OutandBack and Rhinoman!

And now a thanks to Bosman for looking out for me as well! I am still amazed that I haven't seen any flames or hatred on here, everyone is so very helpful and friendly compared to most other boards I've been on. The others are mostly tech boards for work, so I guess all that built up stress and angst shows quite a bit more over there - they need to get a hammock and get outside to relieve that! This is a great community of people and glad to have been able to start joining in.

Given this is my first cold weather hang trying to go over prepared, always seems like a better option than under prepared to me. Still would like to get some wider pads long term even if I end up with an overstuffed full length 0 deg UQ, mainly for the ability to go to ground in high wind. Going to have to get a pulk at this rate as well cuz snow shovel, snow shoes, and extra wide pads just aren't going to be great all strapped to outside of pack .

Jory

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mointainfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    WB whoopie slings
    How does gthe material in that Evazoto pad compare with the ccf Landau foam linked to in the Warbonnet Outdoors web site?

I'm about to make my first hammock purchases. I borrowed a dbl 1.1 WBBB for an October trip to see if hanging was for me, and it most definitely is. For under insulation between the layers I used an older thermarest self-inflating pad lengthwise and half a Z-Lite crossways under my shoulders. This set-up provided adequate insulation in temps around 40 when I could keep the Thermarest under me, but shifting was inevitable.

I'm not ready to make the investment in an under quilt, and I also like to bring my Thermarest pad & chair sleeve to have a comfy supportive seat anywhere in camp or along the trail. I also have an Exped Downmat 9 standard width for colder temps.

I'm thinking about a pad combo in which I cut some ccf Landau (or Evazoto if it's better)to a shape that is held in place by conforming to some edge points within the double layer of a WBBB. I would establish the position of the Thermarest then fasten it in place with a couple of straps running through and under the ccf.

I'd like some feedback on the viability of that set-up.
    Last edited by Drift Woody; 02-03-2013 at 08:54. Reason: typo

Hammock
    Wbrr
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    New river uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Self inflating pad

Does a foam pad help u lay more flat in a hammock? Have a 29 * 78 self inflating air pad and would like to know if anyone has used a self inflator before.

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images

Smile

The test I have had with the Volara so far as been Ok. We got some test pieces trying to have a pad we can offer to Hangers that would be light and I wanted a piece that was good to 40's. The Volara on two different test failed at 50F. Personally the 1/4 wide we have test better than that. Last weekend went out on a night 42F and my personal set up is an underquilt with a 3/16th pad cut down for legs and slide air frame in quilt for feet. Before we had air frame would slide sitlite down into foot area of quilt. Above 60 if trying to go light I just use two 3/16th one 3/4 length and the other cut in half. Works for me but everyone has different bodies and different levels that they get cold.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Hey guys, while i havent tested it as yet, I have mentioned this before but if you bought like some raw primaloft and just slid it between your dual layer hammocks wouldnt that do what you want without needing a pricy uq or a comfort killing ccf? You could throw mylar below the insulation too. So many options. I havent ever seen anyone mention this way but to me, a guy who doesnt sew this seems so simple being that you can order apex insultex or primaloft. I might have 2qzq make me up an underquilt protector and throw in my polarguard delta i bought from ray way quilts some years ago. I would love to hear if anyone has enjoyed this setup.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Quote Originally Posted by jobo View Post
    Here is the full picture, didn't give all the details in my post showing interest...

The pads are actually to supplement a 20 deg 3/4 UQ, I have 5/8" total in thickness of CCF. Plus put together a wider bit of reflectix to help with cold shoulders. I have a sock for the hammock, and doors on the tarp. Plan to trench in the tarp to help trap a little more heat and reduce convection loss. 1.7 DL hammock to help keep it in place, along with an extra-wide 0 deg top quilt from UGQ at 56" in ensure I have enough tuck. Packing in some extra long underwear, basspro 1.0 and 3.0 baselayers along with UA basemap and base4.0 which all fit over each other nicely - not as many layers for the legs. For heat I've got 3x SS water bottles that I trust not to leak to be filled with hot water, and packing in lots of chemical heaters as well just in case. Almost forgot GoLite's warmest hooded down jacket. And the weather guess is favorable (always still unpredictable) at lows in the teens with daytime highs getting close to 40 (t-shirt weather).

Sadly I just found out Tuesday that my UQ wasn't going to arrive in time, and when I asked if my pads only would leave me freezing and for any other last minute insulation suggestions I received two very generous offers of loans on the same UQ (yeti) that I am awaiting delivery in both 20 deg and 0 deg versions. Thanks again to OutandBack and Rhinoman!

And now a thanks to Bosman for looking out for me as well! I am still amazed that I haven't seen any flames or hatred on here, everyone is so very helpful and friendly compared to most other boards I've been on. The others are mostly tech boards for work, so I guess all that built up stress and angst shows quite a bit more over there - they need to get a hammock and get outside to relieve that! This is a great community of people and glad to have been able to start joining in.

Given this is my first cold weather hang trying to go over prepared, always seems like a better option than under prepared to me. Still would like to get some wider pads long term even if I end up with an overstuffed full length 0 deg UQ, mainly for the ability to go to ground in high wind. Going to have to get a pulk at this rate as well cuz snow shovel, snow shoes, and extra wide pads just aren't going to be great all strapped to outside of pack .

Jory
    Jory, glad to be looking out for ya, I am always a proponent to people enjoying their outdoor experience so they keep getting out there. One tip i recommend and many of my friends now use is to boil up water before bed time and throw it in a nalgene or evernew bag (I don't recommend a platypus bag due to cheaper caps). Anyway throw that in your bag 1/2 hour before sleep time and it is a toasty heaven inside your bag!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12