ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Chenvre, depending what time you can be there I can meet you at the meeting lake parking lot and give a ride to where we will leave from.

Sounds good, I can essentially leave whenever and meet up wherever, I just need to factor the driving time, which I can worry about when it gets closer to the date.

Sorry to hear the bad news, Chard. Myself and others (I assume) would be more than happy to help out lugging your stuff to base camp if you can manage to make it. I think my sled might be able to carry you as well if we have to force you to join us!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    A little bad news on my part. I mentioned a while ago that my knee's been bugging me. Well on Sunday I managed to wrench it pretty well. I limped over to get x-rays and an ultrasound done yesterday and hopefully will get the results by the end of the week. I hate to say it, but at this rate, I won't be able to manage any more ambitious routes, like Cedar's trail to Source.
    That is unfortunate news about your knee, Chard. Knee injuries are tough as it greatly affects mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Chenvre View Post
    Sorry to hear the bad news, Chard. Myself and others (I assume) would be more than happy to help out lugging your stuff to base camp if you can manage to make it. I think my sled might be able to carry you as well if we have to force you to join us!
    I am sure everyone would pitch in to help out Chard with his gear, but in winter the risk of mechanical injury due to slippery conditions or unseen hazards is high enough for those with healthy knees. I don't think it is wise to risk permanent knee damage on a winter trip. As the saying goes, there will always be a next group hang.

Cedar, that was a great scouting report. That unmapped snowshoe trail to Source Lake and beyond from the Art gallery parking lot.... did you get any further information on where it goes after it hits Source Lake? According to the online maps for Algonquin, on the south side of Source Lake there is a rail trail that leads to the west and North that puts us at the NW corner of Source like (same spot if access by Mizzy Lake trail).

The winter trekkers that were at Source Lake last winter went up the access road by Ouse Lake to where the rail trail meets this road and then tucked in. It was reported that the hike in was relatively easy. They parked one car in the snow bank at the access road and shuttled all cars to the Mizzy Lake trail head parking lot (about 1km west).

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Keep in mind I'll be arriving mid day Saturday so I'll likely be going in alone and there fore will need somewhere to park. If that would spoil the chance at a good spot for the group then I don't want to hold everyone from it. I can always do my own thing if necessary.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I say we use the trail into Source Lake...across from the art center. Lots of parking there. I will bring flagging tape so we can be found.

Chard if you decide to come i will happily walk out and help get your gear in...my pulk is pretty big so....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Parking is a concern for me too

But

If mizzy lake has parking and about a KM From trail I'm ok with the hike if the trail is on the easy side and the hike from trail head to our site isn't too far.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Jayson

That's what I'm looking for (source lake)
    If there's parking yay !

I'm good with that.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    I say we use the trail into Source Lake...across from the art center. Lots of parking there. I will bring flagging tape so we can be found.
    The question on that one, is where does this trail across from the Art Center meet Source Lake? If anywhere it is going to be on the south side of the lake, which is undesirable from a wind stand point. I am certainly not going to entertain any ice travel with conditions unknown and variable at the best of times. I would also prefer not to have the hike in be much more than 1.5 - 2 hours.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    As another note
    On the Algonquin forums I was recommended mizzy lake (I was going to head up last month but plans changed)

As long as I have a place for my car I'm happy

I haven't had a chance to look as Jeff's map (I've been on my iPhone all week)
    But for the few that are close and suggested places ill take your advice.

Images
    When I got my permit for Bruce Lake via Source Lake, the gate attendant told me about the unmarked snowshoe trail as an alternate route. The entrance of the trail is very close to the entrance of the access road. I checked the trail entrance when I went in, but decided on the unplowed access road instead.

On my return, I was going to come back via the unmarked trail, but ran into thin ice and open water. When I crossed Source Lake back towards access point # 7, I went past it into the narrow bay beyond the access point. The end of this bay was where the attendant had told me the trail comes into Source Lake. As I got closer to the end of the bay, the ice got more wobbly and I spotted open water at the end. That was also when my ice probe went through the ice. I turned around and went back to access point # 7 to get back on the road out. There’s a creek that feeds into the bay close to the end and that was probably why the ice was so thin. This was back in February, 2010 and the snowshoe trail may go somewhere else now.

I’m still leery of the highway though. There’s a nice wide shoulder on the hwy. to park for unloading, but when I was going in and coming out, the logging trucks were actually partially on the shoulder as they barreled around the curve. Also, when I was there, the snowbank was quite high beside the hwy., which meant loading/unloading was a challenge. I don’t know what it’s like this year; maybe Cedar can comment on this.

I'd prefer Mizzy Lake. My .02 cents.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm voting mizzy
    From what I've read there's parking at the trail head (hopefully plowed)

If its a popular trail then we will have a relatively easy hike untill we veer off and bushwhack to camp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast