Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm definitely confirmed with my son

I'm good with wherever you choose.

A few things

Ill be up Saturday AM If we all go in together that'll be cool.
    As a thought - if someone was up Friday and found a spot I know there is cell service along 60 that can go into the bush a few KM. Perhaps post GPS cords of site.

Ill have axe and probally my buck saw. - I like splitting wood (at home I heat with wood so it's nothing new to me)

For water - melting is fine / I always bring lots fuel - if there's a stream the filter is always in the pack.

Looking forward to this trip !

Hammock
    Speers
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Re Trip

Hi all,

So a slight snag in the recon plan... My son, who is already in a full leg cast, now has chicken pox which means no school. Combine with a couple "no bus" days, this week has eaten up all my free time this week. Tomorrow I am going to drive up to the park with the boy and have a look around at our potential sites but obvious mobility issues mean that it will be mid next week before I can get out of the car and go for a hike to find a spot.

As far as the head count goes I am definitely attending. Anytime after noonish I can head up to the park on the Friday. I am still waiting on scheduling regarding Monday so there is a good chance I am staying till the end but a small chance that I will have to head home Sunday evening.

I will report back as soon as possible and will monitor the thread to make sure I have a look at all suggestions.

Cheers

Cedar.
    ...to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach,...

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar328 View Post
    Hi all,

So a slight snag in the recon plan... My son, who is already in a full leg cast, now has chicken pox which means no school. Combine with a couple "no bus" days, this week has eaten up all my free time this week. Tomorrow I am going to drive up to the park with the boy and have a look around at our potential sites but obvious mobility issues mean that it will be mid next week before I can get out of the car and go for a hike to find a spot.

As far as the head count goes I am definitely attending. Anytime after noonish I can head up to the park on the Friday. I am still waiting on scheduling regarding Monday so there is a good chance I am staying till the end but a small chance that I will have to head home Sunday evening.

I will report back as soon as possible and will monitor the thread to make sure I have a look at all suggestions.

Cheers

Cedar.
    Hey Cedar. Hope your boy gets to feeling better! We won't be to the park till close to noon on Friday. We will for sure wait for you to hike in together...another body to break trail

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Perhaps another option is to use the east branch of the Mizzy lake trail and follow that up past Mizzy lake, bushwack a bit to catch the access road trail to Source Lake and camp where that road meets the rail trail in that area. The pros of this is using the potentially well packed Mizzy Lake trail, all cars can be parked at Mizzy Lake trailhead. No vehicle shuffling needed for those that are coming and leaving at different times. We can get water from Source Lake, instead of melting snow.

Thoughts? I do agree that we need to get the destination and route nailed down soon.

Cheers

Brian
    That sounds doable. Looks like that would be around 2.5 to 3 km. A lot would depend on the condition of the trail. Last year walking in was really tough goings but walking out on the same trail was easy.

Roll Call

Confirmed
    Bubba
    Chard
    BrianWillan
    Jayson and friend
    Cedar 328
    Mongrel
    Lofty and son

Possible
    keg
    hankster747
    Deep Thought

Have expressed interest but have not responded recently
    dant8ro
    blackd
    DRF
    chenvre
    jefftrex
    Last edited by Bubba; 01-30-2013 at 15:23.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey Cedar, I'm really sorry to hear about you young'n. I hope he's up and around and giving you grief soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    That sounds doable. Looks like that would be around 2.5 to 3 km. A lot would depend on the condition of the trail. Last year walking in was really tough goings but walking out on the same trail was easy.
    Totally agree.

Frankly my knee's been bugging me and breaking trail several kilometers to Source Lake is not in the cards. If the trail was a well packed snowshoeing trail, that'd be different, but not fresh snow. Also, by going that far back we might lose the easy access some people were looking for, especially if they wanted to have emergency/backup gear in their cars fairly close at hand.

Oh, thanks for the list. I drafted the same one last night . You beat me to it!
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Dont forget me and Austin will have went in Friday afternoon. By Saturday morning the trail will be cintered up nice and firm. I have a roll of flagging tape so no worries marking the trail.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I suppoe we'll have to trust Jayson, Austin and Cedar to gauge the trail and leave it up to them to decide on where to make camp based on the preferences of the others.

My only priorities are to be away from the highway and other algonquin visitors. A nice moderate hike is nice but I'm not interested in anything overly challenging. Don't want to be parallel to the ground going up hills like mongrel.
    Last edited by Bubba; 01-30-2013 at 17:00.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I think Brian's suggestion of cutting off the Mizzy trail onto the Rail Trail toward Source Lake is good. We can follow the shore line of Source Lake North and East for a little way of trail. Trail should be good if three of us walk it first.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    I think Brian's suggestion of cutting off the Mizzy trail onto the Rail Trail toward Source Lake is good. We can follow the shore line of Source Lake North and East for a little way of trail. Trail should be good if three of us walk it first.
    I plan on heading up on Friday morning, so there will be an extra body to help pack down the trail. According to the algonquinmap.com site (downloaded version, it is about 2km from the trail head to the top of Mizzy Lake.

I am sure with enough flagging tape we can make it easy to find us.

I am hoping we get more snow. With today's record temperatures and rainfall the snow depth in the area has dropped to below 12".

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Images
    Anyone hauling a sled or toboggan? Or is everyone backpacking?

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast