Hennessy Expedition A-Sym
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    You are more than welcome to stop by. I don't think anyone will be heading on the trail much earlier than 11:00am on Friday. Saturday may be a better day to visit since it would give you more time to hike in and out. Looking forward to meeting you.
    Thanks Bubba. I might not be able to make it on Saturday, but I'll see if I can shuffle things around to be there then instead of Friday.

- Martin
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Martin, Saturday would probably be best for a day in to visit. But if you want to come Friday we are planning to be at the West gate by 11am...you are more than welcome to join us for the walk in. We don't care if you hang or sleep on the ground if you choose to stay!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling +MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Martin, Saturday would probably be best for a day in to visit. But if you want to come Friday we are planning to be at the West gate by 11am...you are more than welcome to join us for the walk in. We don't care if you hang or sleep on the ground if you choose to stay!
    Martin: Bring whatever you can scrounge up for warmth so you can at least hang your new Hennessy (show it off!!) and try a nap while you're visiting during the day.
    It wouldn't do to have you hike all that way in with only some food and beverage in your backpack...

I plan to meet with Jayson and Hankster at the West gate for 11am

DT

Images
    I'll be at the west gate for 09:00 on Saturday. I should be at the trailhead by 09:30.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling +MSH
    Some info:

Winter expedition info:
    http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/winter/...eaching%20Plan

Algonquin:

Mizzy Lake Trail is located at km 15.4 of Highway 60. At Arowhon Rd.
    Latitude/Longitude: 45.542515°, -78.695621°

West Gate Open
    Friday, February 15, 9am – 4pm (& Saturday)
    The West Gate features current information, permits, publications and bathroom facilities when entering Algonquin Park through the western end of Highway 60 near Dwight, ON. A wheelchair accessible facility.

Maximum of 9 people per backcountry campsite.

Valid to March 31, 2013
    Age 6 - 17 inclusive $5.00*/person/night
    Age 18 + $11.75*/person/night
    Ontario Senior rates have been discounted by 20%, rates for Ontario persons with disabilities by 50%

Possible plowing:
    The following interpretive trails have ploughed parking lots or parking areas throughout the winter months. (However... another page states: Access to trail head parking lots may vary in winter.) Based on the "Winter in the Wild Festival" going on Saturday, this may effect parking lot plowing.

Algonquin Logging Museum
    Bat Lake Trail
    Beaver Pond Trail
    Big Pines Trail
    Centennial Ridges Trail (parking at Highway 60 only)
    Hemlock Bluff Trail
    Mizzy Lake Trail
    Peck Lake Trail (parking at Highway 60 only)
    Spruce Bog Boardwalk
    Track and Tower Trail
    Two Rivers Trail
    Whiskey Rapids Trail

EVENTS:

("Mew Lake Campground BBQ starting at 3:30pm" Mmmmm....)

Winter in the Wild Festival 2013
    Saturday, February 16
    Join Ontario Parks and The Friends of Algonquin Park, in celebrating winter in Algonquin Park through this family event on Saturday, February 16, 2013. Indoor and outdoor events will be held at various locations throughout the Highway 60 Corridor of the Park.

All of the activities during the festival are free with the purchase of a Daily Vehicle Permit or Camping Permit with the exception of food. Lunch can be purchased at the Visitor Centre which is open 9:00am to 5:00pm. A barbecue dinner may be purchased at Mew Lake Campground starting at 3:30pm.

Events Schedule

For complete event details see www.algonquinpark.on.ca…
    Keep up-to-date about this event automatically. Select "Other Event Actions" (below) and then "Notify me of changes" and enter your e-mail address. You will receive automatic updates for this event as they are posted.
    Guided Winter Bird Walk - 8:30am to 10:00am - Meet at Spruce Bog Boardwalk Trail (km 42.5)
    Winter Landscape Photography Tips with Peter Ferguson - 9:00am…

DT

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works
    Double-checking my gear and making sure I have everything...

I'll be meeting at the west gate for 11am, hopefully bright-eyed. See you all there on Friday or Saturday!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    DIY whooppie
    Have fun guys. I'm looking forward to the trip report and pics. See you in the Spring.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Well the first intrepid trekkers ventured off today leaving the rest of us to prepare to head out tomorrow. Too bad some of those that were going to come ended up cancelling. Maybe next time.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Well the first intrepid trekkers ventured off today leaving the rest of us to prepare to head out tomorrow. Too bad some of those that were going to come ended up cancelling. Maybe next time.
    Well I wish you guys the best of luck and suspect you'll have a great time. The weather looks cold and crisp and it looks like Algonquin got some fresh snow over that last week. Take care. Stay off the lakes and rivers and bring back lots of pics and stories of good food!!

Anyway, I'm really bummed out that I couldn't make it. I guess my snowshoes will just have to wait a little bit longer. Maybe I'll start refinishing my paddle and dream.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition A-Sym
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

It was a pleasure meeting you.

On Saturday afternoon I stopped in on the hangers to meet some of my fellow Ontario hangers, check out their setups, and pick up some tips and tricks. What a welcoming bunch of fellows! It was terrific to see, with my own eyes, the sort of terrain one can camp in using a hammock and I must say I'm looking forward more than even before to the warm weather so I can enjoy some crown land camping in my hammock. One of the biggest difficulties of camping off-trail, outside of parks, etc is the lack of suitable tent sites.

My thanks to all the fine hammockers who took the time to answer a lot of newbie questions and show me their setups. I wish I could have stuck around longer before I had to head for home. I hope to be able to join you all for your next group hang.

I took a few pics, but will hold off on posting them here until the hammockers are back home, in case there are objections.

Thanks again gents!
    - Martin
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast