Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    My ankle won't be healed in time so I have to pass.

Time to find a pair of boots that work with an ankle brace.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling +MSH
    Sorry to hear about your ankle Keg!

I'm subscribed and will be following this. I'm interested, but waiting to hear back on time off requests.
    I just read through the thread for the Frozen Butt Hang in Finland, MN and it's got me really pumped!! Hope to re-ignite the conversation about this frozen trip. I would love a nice hike with my snowshoes, among other winter fun.

I'd like to hear more about the proposed site.

DT

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling +MSH
    Dwight, Ontario, closest LCBO to Niger Lake, Ontario.
    Average high of -2.7
    Average low of -14.9

Record high 12.5 (1984)
    Record low -37.5 (1987)

-34 tonight, feels like -38

Wouldn't it be nice?

DT

Hammock
    Speers
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Re: winter hang

Hey all,

Chard, I am definitely interested in coming and will be available at least some of the weekend, working on scheduling to be able to stay till Monday.

I have been getting some suggestions from friends and have spent a great deal of time on google maps. It is really hard to find a lake with a campsite with winter fish regs that is within 2-3 km of parking that is not on a major snowmobile trail... If I can come up with a suggestion I will post it ( I have some spare time coming up early next week that has been eluding me till now).

Also planning to test some of my winter setup this week to see if I am ready for this... coming on the trip regardless It was -32 (-41 with the wind) outside my front door when I woke up at 5:30 this morning..

As always if we end up in my area we can ditch some cars at my place and carpool to wherever ...

Cheers

Cedar
    ...to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach,...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Great story and pics. Really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

Images
    I've been holding off until a site was chosen because I can't commit to the Monday. Some of us don't get that as a holiday (wait... is that a violin playing "Cry me a river"?)

I'm definitely in for Saturday night and maybe Friday night depending on location. I hope to have my Underground Quilt 0* UQ before that weekend and will be testing it out.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey guys,

Looking at the past few posts, I'm glad to see that this is still likely a "go".

At this point I'm divided between a backcountry trip to Niger or thereabouts and doing some ice-fishing, or a car camping trip to Mew Lake where we can join in on some of Algonquin's organized winter festivities, and maybe even meet up with the elusive Entropy. If we do Mew Lake, we can always do snowshoing daytrips and we can push back as far into the bush as we want to set up camp and get away from any crowds that might appear (however unlikely). Also, Mew allows people to come and go much more readily, especially if they can't commit to a 2 or 3 night hang.

Let's hear some feedback.
    Last edited by Chard; 01-23-2013 at 19:07.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, W/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings/MSH
    Images
    Oh, Mew Lake actually makes me quite interested in this trip! I was in Killarney last weekend (yurt, not a hammock) and was starting to feel bad that I wasn't planning on doing this trip. I have reservations on whether my underquilt and topquilt are up to the task. But, car camping or something a short haul lets me add a winter sleeping bag and some pads to the mix.

Now, time to read the thread to see when this is happening

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Hey guys,

Looking at the past few posts, I'm glad to see that this is still likely a "go".

At this point I'm divided between a backcountry trip to Niger or thereabouts and doing some ice-fishing, or a car camping trip to Mew Lake where we can join in on some of Algonquin's organized winter festivities, and maybe even meet up with the elusive Entropy. If we do Mew Lake, we can always do snowshoing daytrips and we can push back as far into the bush as we want to set up camp and get away from any crowds that might appear (however unlikely). Also, Mew allows people to come and go much more readily, especially if they can't commit to a 2 or 3 night hang.

Let's hear some feedback.
    Mongrel and I were near the Mew Lake campground last winter on the Family Day weekend. I will say the that the likelihood of crowds appearing at the campground is quite high. It was packed last year and since they have promoted their family day event more this year, there is probably going to be a bigger crowd than last year.

So if you are looking for a more peaceful time for this trip, there is the Old Railway Bike trail that comes out of the Mew Lake Campground that goes by the Lake of Two Rivers and along to Whitefish Lake depending on how far you want to hike. The trail will be relatively flat with minimal elevation as it was a railway at one point. I will also say that the main area of the campground and the sites that are plowed aren't very hammock friendly. Unless you want to hang on top of a large snow berm.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Having not been to Mew before, we'd have to rely on Mongrel and your impression on hanging opportunities. I think we're all agreed that we try not to be too near to a campground filled with family car campers.

Given that we're permitted to camp virtually anywhere, I can't see getting away from the crowd as much of a challenge, even if it only a kilometer or so away from Mew.

No fishing though...
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast