I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yessir....tough do get all you want on that budget but you can do OK. Get a hammock, throw in a camping pad, use your sleeping bag and maybe just get a cheap blue tarp from a home store to start.
    Bit by bit.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    If I was going to do it again (on the cheap) this is what I'd do. Take it with a grain of salt!

Of course, this is pending that bulk and weight are not an issue.

Hammock : DIY Tableclothfactory hammock (126x60) $12
    Bugnet : Fronkey style DIY toulle from wally world $6
    Suspension : straps from wally world $4 / Whoopies from the PIF section (or make my own)
    Tarp : Kelty or Chinook $40 (a bit heavy, but nice coverage and good reviews)
    Insulation: Sleeping bag and CCF pad $35 (this would be tough because I'm spoiled, but I could survive if I had to)

Whatever you decide, have fun and get out there. Just be careful and be sure you have a back up plan. Test in the back yard, or at local place so you can bail if something doesn't work out and you have to.

The backpacking tarps from wally world are fine tarps. There's a thread on there about putting two of them together to make one larger tarp.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

thanks for all of the advice so far guys, this is what i am thinking of getting so far:

Hammock: Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter pro
    Suspension: DIY whoopie sling, straps from walmart 15' tie downs with 600lb capacity and 1800lb breaking strength
    Insulation: mod either the intermediate or patrol bag for use as a underquilt, use other as a top quilt
    Tarp: for a tarp ill just buy a cheap blue walmart tarp, and eventually upgrade to a kelty noah or a guide gear tarp if they ever come back in stock

and for a sleeping pad, would a usgi ground pad work? my grandfather gave me and my dad a couple a long time ago thats in near perfect condition.

in all i think all of it will be roughly ~$130 minus the kelty noah and if i can find any of it on sale

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    the ground pad you have should work, but you might get cold shoulders, where the hammock wraps up and touches you. Google ENO hotspot for a solution to that problem.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Straps
    Images
    Newbie Hammock Setups

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8921

Good sticky to start with and cut your teeth on. From there, I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend.

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Welcome Justin, +1 for the Skeeter Beeter Pro. My 2 cents on the tarp, I have a Kelty Noah, but found I like a 10X12 better.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Straps
    Images
    I got myself a cheap WalMart Equip hammock, a 4 mil tarp, and some ugly yellow tie down straps from Harbor Freight. That simple setup cost me under $40.

I live and camp in south Texas and it doesn't really get to cold down here. I re-purposed one of my daughter's old fleece blankets, ran some 60" shoelaces through the hems and use that use my "under quilt". I also use a simple twin size blanket on top. I'm a hot body, so this works great for me. I've feel good and comfortable around 45 degrees. (Really, I sleep in gym shorts and often go topless in the hammock.) Take my advice as you wish, this is my first year camping in a hammock.

I spent all my money on my backpack.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by justin12234 View Post
    It will be 90% car camping and 10% hike, and the hike will be in the summer when its around 70-80 at night and winter can be anywhere from high 20s to mid 50s and it will be around a 2-3 mile hike. I was wanting to diy a few things but we don't have a sewing machine and it'll be cheaper to buy the gear than buy a sewing machine.

And its information overload beyond belief. Ive watched the first 4 parts of shugs video and ill watch the rest later and I'm still clueless on most of the stuff on the forums.
    Then, yes, your intended purchase list is pretty good.

I'd look at the Kelty tarps or the Hennessy PU-coated hex tarp (costs ~$70.00 plus shipping) rather than trying to combine the two WallyWorld tarps. Though, if you're set on that specific tarp, REI sells a 9.5x12 tarp from the same company that makes the WallyWorld tarp for $57.00 plus shipping.

Personally, I'd use the patrol bag as the top quilt and the heavier bag as the underquilt; you get more mileage out of your underquilt (it wraps further around you) than you do out of your top quilt.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Then, yes, your intended purchase list is pretty good.

I'd look at the Kelty tarps or the Hennessy PU-coated hex tarp (costs ~$70.00 plus shipping) rather than trying to combine the two WallyWorld tarps. Though, if you're set on that specific tarp, REI sells a 9.5x12 tarp from the same company that makes the WallyWorld tarp for $57.00 plus shipping.

Personally, I'd use the patrol bag as the top quilt and the heavier bag as the underquilt; you get more mileage out of your underquilt (it wraps further around you) than you do out of your top quilt.

Hope it helps!
    I'm not really set on anything specific, I was thinking of getting the kelty Noah 9.

Also, does anyone know if for straps I can just buy 10 or 12 feet of 3/8 or 1/2 inch polyester webbing from strapworks and cut it in half and put knots with loops on the end and just burn the ends to stop it from unwrapping?

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just wait. Soon you will gt the DIY bug...... My wife is still pissed I found this site.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast