Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images

Good first hammock for my dad?

OK, so my dad had been hammock camping with me twice, and he wants to go back...The last 2 hammocks that I put him in, he really didn't like very well. I gave him a Lawson Hammock and he liked it, but wanted something that he cough use his new incubator with more easily, so I let him borrow A GT Skeeter Beeter UL and it was too small of course. I already gave him an UL that would not be so great for him since he is 6'2 and 220.

My question:

What is a good starter CAMPING hammock for him that is fairly cheap and big enough for him to stretch out and be totally comfortable.(I already spent too much jack outfitting his big butt this year, lol) My next option that I have is to let him try some home made stuff and a GT AT Shelter that is around here somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Thank ye!

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Why not give him a shot in a tablecloth hammock... It should be big enough and wouldn't cost a whole lot...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WL Snipe/Modded ENO DN
    Tarp
    SOOPAFLY/WLTadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 3/4 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    How about a Wilderness logics Snipe or Owl? I got my self a snipe. I'm 6'3 and I love it! it's long. And the Knotty mods are awesome! Really comfortable flat lay. Here Shug will show you what's up!http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=6WsBGnwTi00
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence."-Robert Frost

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    If he isn't into UL than I'd also vote for the tablecloth hammock. My "name" hammocks have been put to the side since this past spring because I can't beat the comfort of my tablecloth hammock. https://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ Go to rectangle tablecloths, then go to Crinkle Taffeta and pick the size and color. No sewing required, edges are already done. Many of us have been using them this year.

ButtInASling can fix the problem.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    u:DIY o:golite
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I dont think you can get a more perfect hammock for a newb than the dbl nest!

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Custom 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/pads
    Suspension
    Straps/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganWildcats View Post
    I dont think you can get a more perfect hammock for a newb than the dbl nest!
    I second the ENO Double and if you can get one from REI and he doesn't like it, you can return it for a full refund!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I'd suggest the Lite Owl, or BIAS WW.

Let him lay in the Pink Goodness and see if he likes the feel (you may have to blindfold him first) If he likes it, just get you another tablecloth and you're good to go.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Take him to a Hang, he really needs to tryout different hammocks. I know there are some winter hangs, or wait until Spring when there will be more group hangs.

My daughter and I started out with Eagles Nest Outfitters Hammocks. We purchased them from a Outdoors Sporting Goods Store, I think they were selling them for cost, because we paid $15.00 USD, plus another $5.00 for the straps. These were brand new, we had a choice of colors, single or double, they were on ENO's display rack.

Anyway, we have doubles. I find they are a tight fit on my shoulders, but then I am not fond of anything fitting tight on my shoulders. I have three Hennessy's, they and my shoulders do fine. I have found I am happier without the bug netting. I now dislike being enclosed. Your father could be having that sort of feeling in some of the hammocks he has tried.

Beds are frequently difficult to purchase, they have to fit your body and your needs for softness or firmness, also your warmth factors. Hammocks have the same "fit" requirements, they are a bed, a place to lounge and sleep. Trying out different models is important to finding your own personal fit.

I went from large hammocks to the Hyperlite that works very well for me, plus it does not pinch my shoulders. But then again I am short, I just have shoulder issues, I do not want anything tight over my shoulders or upper arms.

Tell him to wait for a Hang where he can examine other hammocks, to learn what he wants. Anticipation is a good thing, adds a little spice to life, something to look forward to.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Really, for better comfort, longer length, about the same weight, and better price, I'd skip the Eno DN (which I have and it is now my loaner) and go for the crinkle taffeta tablecloth.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast