Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Lay comparison between WBRR and WBBB?

How does the lay of a WBBB and a Darien style hammock compare with that of the Ridge Runner? I have the RR, but I don't have ether of the other two.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    I vastly prefer the lay of the RR over gathered-end hammocks because there is no chance of getting a calf ridge or having leg hyperextension problems with the bridge. Some people alleviate the leg problem by putting clothes under their knees, but I don't want to compromise like that. The RR solves all the comfort problems that regular hammocks have, at the expense of weight. Gathered-ends are comfy from the waist up, though.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    If you are a side sleeper then a gathered end hammock tends to give you a few more options. The bridge wins (IMO) for pretty much every other position (but not always by a lot). The bridge is easier to get a comfortable position for someone new to the sport (hanging... But once you learn how to get comfy and sleep the night in a gathered end then you can get comfy in any decent hammock) since you don't have the calf ridge and hyper extension issues. I love both and will continue to use both types because they all have different strengths and weaknesses for different situations.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    If you are a side sleeper then a gathered end hammock tends to give you a few more options. The bridge wins (IMO) for pretty much every other position (but not always by a lot). The bridge is easier to get a comfortable position for someone new to the sport (hanging... But once you learn how to get comfy and sleep the night in a gathered end then you can get comfy in any decent hammock) since you don't have the calf ridge and hyper extension issues. I love both and will continue to use both types because they all have different strengths and weaknesses for different situations.

Dave
    +1 as Samsara hit it pretty much on the head.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I very much like the Ridge Runner and simply thrilled that I found a bridge design that works for me. But, if I were forced to choose between a Ridge Runner and a Blackbird, it really wouldn't require much thought. The Blackbird would win.

I guess I'm the opposite of the other posters so far, but I find more positions comfortable in a gathered-end than in a bridge. Possibly a result of the size of the hanger? I'm 6' in the 240 range and that may have a lot to do with my opinion. In a gathered-end hammock, it's really simple for me; I climb in and lay on my back. About 2 minutes later snores can be heard from under my tarp. In a bridge, I climb in and flop around a little. Try one position, then another. About 20 minutes later snores can be heard coming from under my tarp.

For comfort, for me, gathered-end all night.
    For a view, a gathered-end can't compete with a Ridge Runner.

Like samsara said,
    I love both and will continue to use both types because they all have different strengths and weaknesses for different situations.
    I'd have to agree with that. I flat-out dare anybody to try to take either one of them from my gear room. Would not be prudent.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I very much like the Ridge Runner and simply thrilled that I found a bridge design that works for me. But, if I were forced to choose between a Ridge Runner and a Blackbird, it really wouldn't require much thought. The Blackbird would win.

I guess I'm the opposite of the other posters so far, but I find more positions comfortable in a gathered-end than in a bridge. Possibly a result of the size of the hanger? I'm 6' in the 240 range and that may have a lot to do with my opinion. In a gathered-end hammock, it's really simple for me; I climb in and lay on my back. About 2 minutes later snores can be heard from under my tarp. In a bridge, I climb in and flop around a little. Try one position, then another. About 20 minutes later snores can be heard coming from under my tarp.

For comfort, for me, gathered-end all night.
    For a view, a gathered-end can't compete with a Ridge Runner.

Like samsara said,

I'd have to agree with that. I flat-out dare anybody to try to take either one of them from my gear room. Would not be prudent.
    Actually I agree with you completely on this

I'm a (mostly) side sleeper, or better yet, a lovely hammock 45 degree angle half side sleeper (not possible in a bed thank you very much). Due to that I prefer my gathered ends to the RR but like the RR for relaxing in the back yard, car camping, and for the view when I am in a place where I want to be able to easily see a particularly good view.

If I had to pick one hammock to keep... I would refuse

I only have five hammocks so far and you would have to pry any of them out of my cold, dead hands. They all have a purpose:
    • WBRR - as stated already
    • WBBB - for most backpacking/camping
    • ENO DN - I sleep in this every night at home, it is a GREAT lounge hammock for watching tv and I find it better than the BB or RR for side sleeping
    • My D/L DIY hammock - this is my winter hammock because it is plain, simple, has two layers for putting insulation between, and since it is simple my UQ fits like a glove
    • Bignormous Mayan hammock - this is by far my most comfortable hammock and is like laying on a cloud no matter what position I'm in. I love this one almost as much as I love my daughter (she actually wanted it so bad that I had to give her one for her birthday earlier this year)

I'll probably do a tablecloth hammock in the nearish future and I'll probably have another one or two to add to my collection some day... but I'm covered

Dave

P.S. I'm 6'2" 220
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Yeah, I have the RR and I just can't say enough about it. I haven't been outside with it yet, but hopefully next month that will happen. In the mean time I'm having to be satisfied sleeping in the house with it. The thing that's really killing me is that I just got a new ULA Circuit. Love that thing too, I want to put it all to good use!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Dave
    +1 on this and several other quotes. Both have a place in my arsenal. Gathered end when I need something light and fast. My RidgeRunner when I want views, more traditional comfort - or for me, dead easy insulation. I love how the Lynx fits on the RidgeRunner with 0 fuss. While my incubator works great on my Blackbird, it still requires a bit more setup and tweaking each time.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    in my opinion,you have the cadilac dont look over the fence in wonder of what the vega would be like.you need to go hang your rr telling it youll never think of straying again.i love mine ,and i have no regrets about packing the extra weight.ive never awoke from a nightmare where zombies are tring to rip my legs off in a bridge.the two gathered ends ive had were invented in my opinion in a vietnam prison camp for torture purposes.i know people who think just the opposite though ,so its all a matter of whats right for you.im working on hiking poles to take the place of my spreader bars,so the weight penalty will lessen some.

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    in my opinion,you have the cadilac dont look over the fence in wonder of what the vega would be like.you need to go hang your rr telling it youll never think of straying again.i love mine ,and i have no regrets about packing the extra weight.ive never awoke from a nightmare where zombies are tring to rip my legs off in a bridge.the two gathered ends ive had were invented in my opinion in a vietnam prison camp for torture purposes.i know people who think just the opposite though ,so its all a matter of whats right for you.im working on hiking poles to take the place of my spreader bars,so the weight penalty will lessen some.
    You're right, I always have a nasty habit of saying to myself "I wonder..." Which usually results in me spending more money and time on something tinkering where I could be backpacking or riding my bikes etc. A habit I'm trying to break

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast