Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I love to paddle also. I'm planning a long river trip for this summer. I have been using a 1/2 person mar tent for kayaking and motorcycle trips, until this summer.
    I now have a few hammocks, Lawson (probably to small for you),, which is designed to go to ground. A Dangerbird will soon be on order.
    You make good points. My wife will be along for the 1st week & she will have the MSR. I'm sold on sleeping in a hammock, but in my Colorado River, Lake Powell, Mead, Mojave, Havasu, trees r few and far between.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Just because you're paddling doesn't mean the hammock HAS to be heavier. My backpacking setup transfer quite easily to paddle camping. A separate bugnet that totally encloses the hammock could be setup as a bivy under a tarp. Tarps can be pitched without trees using paddles/poles/found limbs. When you see a hammock you like made by a cottage vendor, but seems small, contact them to see if they can customize it for you. Many of the cottage vendors are known for doing just that.

Hammock
    Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckle/strap
    I appreciate all the advice. adkphoto's comments/idea make the most sense to me. I also thought something along the lines of a larger bridge hammock with a heavier (oxford nylon?) bottom, a bug net that has an adjustable vertical rise at the 4 corners with U shaped zip entry into the net, and hammock cross members that can telescope to function as ground uprights as well.
    I saw a new offering in one of the paddling mags that is a flat elongated traingular platform with a three point suspension (crazy?) and a tent like enclosure. Interesting concept except for the 3 tree aspect and the astronomical price tag.
    I hope the question gets some of the creative individuals out there thinking of new ideas. I love the idea of new avenues for this "cottage industry". I have a good idea of what my first step up will be. Thanks again for the info.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Lost Biker and Scottpash are working on a bugnet/bivy combo. It would definitely have application for the beach scenario camping you're describing. It's a work in progress. Check it out: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=63644

I kayak camp all the time and any of the ones I have work. I have most of hte major manufacturer's hammocks. My Clark TX 250 usually gets the nod with all the bells and whistles.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    FYI HH makes all there models in Side entry Zip style as well as bottom entry.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Your also located in Michigan,,check out the trip plannings around you and visit and camp with the people there and check out their gear,,as I am sure they will let you try it out for the lay and fit. Great way to check out all the different gear we all use as there is so much to choose from from our cottage makers who even customize some of it for us. Welcome from Southern Indiana. Acer
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    What about something like this? He also makes a waterproof base which attaches/detaches with velcro, I'm sure the guy who makes them would add the waterproof add on to this for a bit extra? It seems really easy to set up on the ground.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I use my ENo Double Nest with a Ted Bug net now
    working on a newer design for emegency ground goimg

I am 6ft tall 260lbs

My Eno has been kayaking with me it packs down into a bishop bag with net and amsteel
    loops attached to the size of a grapefruit

just my 2cents
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    What about something like this? He also makes a waterproof base which attaches/detaches with velcro, I'm sure the guy who makes them would add the waterproof add on to this for a bit extra? It seems really easy to set up on the ground.
    I had not seen that product before. It seems to meet every single criteria set up in the OP. adkphoto also hits the mark. I think just about any of the cottage guys would do a custom project to fit OP's wants as well. All it takes is a little imagination and a system using currently available products could be devised for a reasonable effort and price.

I am a flat water canoe camper, as well. But since I am always on lakes( like BWCA) I have had little problem finding trees. Except when I went north of 50* N. There I had to go to ground two out of 6 nights. I was forewarned and packed a full length ccf which came in handy.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast