Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Australian Heat
    Suspension
    Undecided

Question HH Ultralite with rappel rings suspension?

Hey guys, im a new Australian member to Hammock Forums,
    bought a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe last week from Australia to be delivered to New Zealand where i will be visiting in a weeks time.

Hennessy provides some of the best customer service i have ever received, they have made contact with both myself here in Australia and the Place where im having the hammock delivered to in New Zealand.

Anyway, when i ordered the Deluxe Explorer and hex fly, i went out and purchased some carabiners, rappel rings to use as a suspension system shown in Mcsparron's YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M)

A few days after ordering i get a phone call from Hennessy saying they have upgraded me to a Ultra-lite Explorer instead of the deluxe version. according to the information on the YouTube video they suggest that you do not use this system with the ultra/hyper lite models

So my questions are:
    Has anyone used this system with these models and actually hurt themselves/Damaged their hammocks?

What alternatives do i have if i still want to use the rappel rings set up?

Thanks,
    Swelly

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I used to use that system with my BPUL and my Hyperlite. I stopped after I noticed that the suspension rope was beginning to show signs of damage. I have since switched to whoopie slings. The damage wasn't major,yet, but I didn't wanna take the chance of failure out on the trail.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    If you still want to use the rap rings try attaching them to the hammock and using long tree straps. Run the tree straps through the rings like you would have the rope. Basically just reverse the setup.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Swelly-

You might want to rethink using any rings with your new Hennessy. These can damage the suspension ropes and void your warranty. I would use the stock suspension as it is for at least the first year, which is the warranty period. If I really wanted to change the suspension after that, I might go to Whoopie slings.

Stock suspension lines on the Deluxe are a different material and much thicker than the ones one the Ultralight model, so the ring/buckle system that you planned to use might not hold the thinner rope, hence the recommendation against use with the UL.

If, in spite of this information, you wish to use the buckles, you may need to back up the rings with something like a Marlin spike/hitch to keep the ropes from slipping. With no experience here, I can't really advise you.

Good Luck!
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Australian Heat
    Suspension
    Undecided
    Thanks for the responses guys,

Could i tie the standard suspension ropes to a stronger line, and then use that through the rappel rings, weight and space are not really a problem for me as i will mostly be using this for Kayak camping.

If this could work what knots would you suggest, i imagine i could use the suggested Hennessy lashing to attach the stock lines to the heavier line which would be tied into a loop?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hello and welcome. The system shown in the video is ok but much heavier and bulkier than it needs to be. The popular options among members here are equally simple and much lighter. I'm a proponent of a saying around here that states HYOH-Hang Your Own Hang. If that system will work for you, that's great but if you want or need to shave weight if that is a concern for you then peruse the suspension forum for other ideas. As swingit mentioned, whoopie slings are a popular way to go but as I said before, HYOH. Have fun!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    Swelly I tried this with my HH but was advised that damage to the line could occur over time. I now use whoopie slings and Dutch hardware (its easy to convert the hammock. Makes things lighter too if thats important.
    Depending on time til your trip I would go with the HH tie out and consider change later.
    Alan

I've used the rings before and they work but arent really needed.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellhunter View Post

Could i tie the standard suspension ropes to a stronger line, and then use that through the rappel rings, weight and space are not really a problem for me as i will mostly be using this for Kayak camping.

If this could work what knots would you suggest, i imagine i could use the suggested Hennessy lashing to attach the stock lines to the heavier line which would be tied into a loop?

Instead of heavier line why not just use longer tree straps and let those be the adjustable part. Your rings can be attached to a short section of the suspension rope near the the hammock. In other words you shorten the rope and lengthen the straps. The rings won't damage the webbing. At least not that I've heard about.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellhunter View Post

I've used the Hennessy Explorer Ultralight with rap rings and long straps, similar to the Warbonnet and Arrowhead Equipment strap and buckle suspensions. I used the standard Hennessy lashing to attach to the rings (two per side) and ran the long (~15'/~5m) strap through the rings, back between them, and then tied off with a slippery half-hitch.

This is an easy and adjustable system that can be made faster during set-up and break-down (you don't have to take the webbing out) if you use a climbing-rated carabiner or a Dutch Clip to fasten the strap around the tree.

After tying the stock lines to the rings, I clipped them short, leaving about three inches (7.6 cm) of tail as a safety measure.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast