Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang_time View Post
    I tried the space blanket VBL once and my back was wet through the entire night - ixnay on the anketblay.
    That's the idea. The vapor barrier keep all the moisture contained rather than letting it evaporate through the quilt, which on extended winter trips, can build up on the down and degrade the loft little each night which can be a problem.

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    That's the idea. The vapor barrier keep all the moisture contained rather than letting it evaporate through the quilt, which on extended winter trips, can build up on the down and degrade the loft little each night which can be a problem.
    So I was too warm during the night? I'm assuming my body was too warm which created all the moisture from sweating...? I was wearing a LOT of insulating clothing - base layer, fleece, and high-loft patagonia down jacket. overkill me thinks.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd agree with the too much clothing.

I've used a 0* full length in the summer and it's been just fine. I've found that I only had to use a thin TQ or less (blanket). Another thing that you can do is invert your UQ, so that the inside is on the outside, which makes it not quite as tight a fit...

When I go to bed, I switch out all my clothing to long johns. I'll add layers if it gets too cold for my UQ and TQ alone.

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    Reflectives are a great cold spot fixer for me and if condensation is the issue you can always pop some holes in it to breathe or Make something to cover it for condensation reduction !
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang_time View Post
    So I was too warm during the night? I'm assuming my body was too warm which created all the moisture from sweating...? I was wearing a LOT of insulating clothing - base layer, fleece, and high-loft patagonia down jacket. overkill me thinks.
    Basically. The trick with them is to wear just enough to keep warm, but not too much that you'll over-heat and start to sweat.
    Regardless, vapor barriers are really only needed below freezing and on extended trips.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I purchased the 0 degree Incubator and will use it anytime that it is going below 50 degrees. I will vent accordingly. I have a DIY uq that I made that gets me to about 50 degrees and it cost me about 20 bucks to make. So I feel like Im set on uq's
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Great advice on the 0* uq. I was wondering what to get next. I have a 30* synthetic UQ I made, but need to get one that will carry me to 15*, plus I like the idea of being able to compress the down smaller. My synthetic sleeping bag and underquilt together are pretty **** big - picture a basketball and a five pound bag of sugar. I've been looking at top quilts too, but first thing is first...
    I was debating 20* vs 0*... I hate to spend $300 and still be cold. 0* it is...
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Well I know Leigh offers a 15 degree down uq for 200...
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    I hate to spend $300 and still be cold. 0* it is...
    Good choice. I wasted money several times buying 2/3 & 3/4 UQs for assorted weather down to 30*. I finally 'splurged' and got a full length 0*. Even with that I was initially cold, until I figured out how to get it 'fitted' snugly to the bottom of the hammock. I've been happy with it ever since. I use it most of the time, especially if weight isn't an issue.

I've since purchased a 40* full length, which is what I use with summer temps or when weight is more of a concern. I used it last month down to 29* on a two nighter and was very warm (along with a UQP).

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Good choice. I wasted money several times buying 2/3 & 3/4 UQs for assorted weather down to 30*. I finally 'splurged' and got a full length 0*. Even with that I was initially cold, until I figured out how to get it 'fitted' snugly to the bottom of the hammock. I've been happy with it ever since. I use it most of the time, especially if weight isn't an issue.

I've since purchased a 40* full length, which is what I use with summer temps or when weight is more of a concern. I used it last month down to 29* on a two nighter and was very warm (along with a UQP).
    Weight wasn't my concern. My current UQ is 27 ounces inside its stuff sack, and according to hammockgear, the down quilt will be about the same. Mine is just really bulky, being synthetic and all. I bit the bullet and ordered the 0* incubator today. I want to replace my cats meow with a down top quilt soon. The Cat's Meow is warm, but HUGE when compressed. I look at my friends with down bags that are rated the same, and they are HALF the size of mine. Now I see how they all have 40-45 liter packs... their stuff is so small! I can still use my DIY quilt at 40 and above, but below that I want an alternative.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast