Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

question about WWM ridgelines

I am seriously looking at a WW Micro for my "winter" hammock, as I have a heavier HH Hyperlite but don't zip up the bug net in the winter.

I see some pictures of the WWM with a ridgeline and some without. On the order page, the only options are for a fixed or adjustable ridgeline.

Can you please explain the difference, and is it possible to have a removable ridgeline? Why or why not do this?

Thanks a bunch!

Hammock
    BIAS WWM, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, jarbidge
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Great choice the guys at BIAS make good stuff, I love my MMW

the difference is that with the adjustable, you are able to change the length, it is like a whoopie sling for the RL. The fixed is one set length. I have the WWM, and went with the adjustable to start until I found my comfort zone, then made a new RL at set length. Go with the dutchware biner also , it allows you to unclip the RL at anytime and it is a very nice option, plus dutch gear is very nice. Good luck
    life time believer in the afternoon nap

" the Dude abides "

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    I am seriously looking at a WW Micro for my "winter" hammock, as I have a heavier HH Hyperlite but don't zip up the bug net in the winter.

I see some pictures of the WWM with a ridgeline and some without. On the order page, the only options are for a fixed or adjustable ridgeline.

Can you please explain the difference, and is it possible to have a removable ridgeline? Why or why not do this?

Thanks a bunch!
    Some like a removable ridgeline because they like to sit up in the hammock like a chair and the ridgeline can get in the way. Having it easily removable helps solve that.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    We don't have the RL installed on the hammocks since some prefer not to use one. All you have to do is loosen the larks headed channel loops and slip the ends over and larks head back. As Barlutti suggested the Dutch biner is great for a quick disconnect. The adjustable RLs work better with them too. I personally use a fixed with biner. It also lets me remove my RL pouch if I'm taking a different hammock.
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Both adjustable and fixed hammock ridgelines are removable. You definitely want a ridgeline, though. The only reason to purchase a hammock without one is because you intend to make your own.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. There have been times I have gotten seriously annoyed with my HH fixed ridge line (such as trying to sit up), so it sounds like the ridge line with ti ditch biner it is. Not sure if I need fixed or adjustable, though. I thought the fixed ridge line was to always keep the right angle of hang?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It is, but you may want to adjust it from time to time. For example, let's say that windblown rain was coming in through the ends of your tarp. You could shorten the ridgeline a bit to get more tarp coverage and keep the hammock drier.

I have adjustable ridgelines on all my hammocks, but frankly, I hardly ever adjust them. It's nice to have the option though.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit

Fixed vs. Adjustable

I prefer a fixed RL to an adjustable one. That being said, I find the adjustable RL as a part of my overall kit. I use my adjustable to dial in on the right hang for a new hammock.

I start at 83 percent, but I sometimes dial up or down and I use my ARL to do it. Once I get the right sag, I make a fixed RL to fit that hammock. In the case of BIAS, we ship 9 foot fixed RLs (83 percent) and it saves folks who don't want to tinker from wondering what the recommended sag should be. They come with loops spliced on each end and, but it's easy to take a 10 foot length of Lash It, Zing It, Dynaglide, etc., and tie a simple loop on each end to meet your hammock's right sag.

Untying and retying a length of cord to get the right sag is a real PITA. That's why an adjustable is part of my kit. SilvrSurfr (back in action after major damage inflicted to his home in Storm Sandy) also makes a good point about there being times you might want to adjust on the fly (directional wind and rain).

If you want a fixed ridgeline to hold the right sag, but you want an adjustable one dial in on what that is, get an adjustable and add a 4 yard length of Zing It so you can customize your own RL to the right length. In our photo tutorial on ridgeline installation, you can see the RL in those images is one with a simple tied loop. Easy.

http://www.buttinasling.com/riin.html
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I placed my order this morning! Can't wait to try out the new hammock!!!

• + New Posts