Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

Question about Incubator

I have a 20* incubator, no overstuff, and LOVE it. Actually got a 0* Burrow recently and love that even more!

I am a cold sleeper, and tend to do a lot of 35* and lower temps at night, with a planned February trip that could easily see 0*. The 20* keeps me just warm at 30-35 with a layer of reflectix or other light pad. I am very comfy to 40* in it.

I am thinking of getting a 0* Incubator. But is that the same as a 20* Incubator with 4 oz of overstuff? or does the 0* have bigger baffles, meaning more loft? Should I get a 0* with a couple extra ounces so I will be toasty at 0*????

The extra weight of the 0* will stink when it is warmer, but then I won't have to schlep the extra insulation of the reflectix (lightweight but cumbersome).

Arghhhh!! Decisions, decisions!!

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've got a 0°F Crowsnest UQ and a Shamu UQ that's good to about 35°F and I mix and match them as appropriate. I would think, in your case, you could take the 20° UQ to about 40ish and then use the 0° Incubator for anything lower. You could also combine the two if you really want to dip into the freezer!
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Forgot to answer your question about the 0° Incubator loft. It seems the new HG site doesn't have the comparison charts up yet, but if I remember correctly from seeing them on the old site, the 20° Incubator has 3 inch baffles, and the 0° Incubator has 4 inch baffles and more down therefore higher loft. If I've got the specs wrong, I hope someone will correct me.

Here is a link to HG's site on the right you will see the table breakdown for the incubator.

http://hammockgear.com/under-quilts/

A winter incubator not only has more down but it also has larger baffles, the larger baffles allow for maximum loft which is in excess of 4". The baffle height for the winter version is 4" but the outer shell is differentially cut, so this usually gives an extra inch (or more) so there isn't compression when used.

By just adding more down to effectively change the rating has a upside and a downside. Depending on how much extra is added you may not be able to get full loft because of the compression when used. Most times adding a ounce or two doesn't hurt the loft (as long as there isn't 30% or more overfill already in the quilt), but adding more (think 4+) may do more harm than good if the baffle height isn't adjusted for properly. By adding a ounce or two has a tendency to help those whom sleep on the cold side to get closer to the rated temperature, but not in all cases.

Hope this helps???????
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DangerBird, BIAS WW Micro
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG, JRB
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by KefWalker View Post
    Forgot to answer your question about the 0° Incubator loft. It seems the new HG site doesn't have the comparison charts up yet, but if I remember correctly from seeing them on the old site, the 20° Incubator has 3 inch baffles, and the 0° Incubator has 4 inch baffles and more down therefore higher loft. If I've got the specs wrong, I hope someone will correct me.
    Their new site lists the 20* with 2" baffles and 4" baffles for the 0*. You should definately be warmer with the larger baffles versus overfill. Specs are listed in the quilt drop down.

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the corrections guys!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for the info! I am sure it is right in front of me, but I can not find the specs on the new site! Just something new to get used to,I guess

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am a cold sleeper as well. I started with a three season Warbonnet Yeti which wasn't quite enough for cooler nights. Because of that I bought a 20* incubator. I like the versatility of using the yeti in the summer, the incubator in the spring and fall and both in the winter. Works very well and is a lot less bulky in warmer weather. The Phoenix UQ may be just what you need. Now if I had lots of money I'd have one of each I just ordered a 40* Burrow so I don't have to carry a 20* TQ during the summer. It is way to hot and bulky for summer needs.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    I am a cold sleeper as well. I started with a three season Warbonnet Yeti which wasn't quite enough for cooler nights. Because of that I bought a 20* incubator. I like the versatility of using the yeti in the summer, the incubator in the spring and fall and both in the winter. Works very well and is a lot less bulky in warmer weather. The Phoenix UQ may be just what you need. Now if I had lots of money I'd have one of each I just ordered a 40* Burrow so I don't have to carry a 20* TQ during the summer. It is way to hot and bulky for summer needs.
    I was going to layer the 20* with my peapod, but at 100 ounces for the whole set up, I figure I would rather have the 0* with a little overstuff. I can use the Peapod by itself in the 40* range. I still want a summer quilt (40*), but need to wait till next year to get it.

Most of my camping is 30-40* at night, so the 0* should work for 80% of my camping. I may need a ccf on really cold nights...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    I am a cold sleeper, and tend to do a lot of 35* and lower temps at night, with a planned February trip that could easily see 0*. The 20* keeps me just warm at 30-35 with a layer of reflectix or other light pad. I am very comfy to 40* in it.

I am thinking of getting a 0* Incubator. But is that the same as a 20* Incubator with 4 oz of overstuff? or does the 0* have bigger baffles, meaning more loft? Should I get a 0* with a couple extra ounces...!
    First off, you might try your setup without the reflectix in the backyard. With most of HGs stuff, they under rate it. When it's rated to 20*, you can likely go to 15*. I've found that the felt warmth on the inside of the UQ at 40* outside, was about the same as the felt warmth on the inside of the UQ when it's only 20* outside.

You might find that you can use it just fine at 15*. The only way to know, is to try it.

The other thing that I've sometimes found, is that I'm colder wearing more clothes or a pad than I was after I removed them.

As far as the loft, the 0* Incubator has an extra 2" of height to the baffle, which means that it will be warmer the same amount of feathers as the 20*.

• + New Posts