Comfortable hammock for home use - weight irrelevant

I am after a hammock for home use. We have some hot summer nights here and my wife insists on locking every door and window which makes things most unpleasant. She's worried about our daughter being stolen (ridiculous I know!)

I have used a hammock before and notice a gentle breeze sucks the heat right out from under you so I was thinking of sleeping outside on those hot nights. Since she doesn't mind if I am stolen, this could be a good idea!

So I was afer a recommendation for a hammock setup for:

- hot nights
    - mosquito proof
    - rain fly a bit of an issue, but I could sleep under the car port. Not a deal breaker.

I have used a Hennessey Ultralight before (don't own one though) but I figure a traditional Mexican hammock eg http://www.mexicanhammocks.com.au/Ou...free-accessory might be more comfortable on a hot night because of the open mesh and cotton against the skin. But I am not sure you can lie flat in these style of hammocks like the asymmetrical Hennessey. There might be other issues with these Mexican style hammocks as well.

Weight is totally irrelevant as this is for home use.
    Last edited by PedroArvy; 12-07-2012 at 18:30.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    First a little terminology, so as to not confuse anybody. When I say/hear "Mexican Hammock", I visualize the hammocks I see most often in Mexico being peddled by the vendors. In general terms, thick corded with large openings in the weave. The link you offered, makes me think "Mayan". Nit-picky to be sure, but I didn't want to confuse.

Having said all that, I put together a thread on Mayan hammocks a couple of years ago that outlines exactly why I think it would be the perfect choice for what you describe: A Mayan Hammock's real gift to hangers

They are MARVELOUS at coping with the heat! A simple bugnet 'tube' would secure you from the critters that fly and bite. As for being able to lay flat, not a problem. The majority of Mayan style hammocks open up very well and allow darn near any position you would want. Get a super big one and you can lay perpendicular to the attachment points for a really flat experience.

The really nice thing about Mayans is, unlike both Brazilian and Nicaraguan hammocks, you don't need to spend a lot of money for a comfy hammock. I spend at least $100 on Brazilians and $200 on Nics to be more confident in both quality and comfort. OTOH, I've got half a dozen Mayans that cost me less than $50 that are just fine. Their biggest drawbacks are; 1) zero (I mean nothing!) in terms of insulation and 2) weight. Since weight isn't an issue for you and the whole point is to be not hot, I'd say the style is perfect for you.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Get a super big one and you can lay perpendicular to the attachment points for a really flat experience
    Do you mean get a king size over a queen size? I assumed the queen would be big enough i.e a queen bed is way big enough for one but perhaps you are suggesting I need the extra room in a hammock?

Also, I am buying from Australia and this brand looks as good as any to me. Do you have any specific recommendations?

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    woah woah- Melbourne Australia and afraid daughter being stolen?? And closing every door/window?

Time to get some security screens!

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroArvy View Post
    Do you mean get a king size over a queen size? I assumed the queen would be big enough i.e a queen bed is way big enough for one but perhaps you are suggesting I need the extra room in a hammock?
    I mean big enough for you to be able to lay in the hammock like this:

Whether that means a queen or king size, I don't know. Can't really use standard mattress sizing for comparison. All the vendors have their own definitions for double/triple/queen/king/etc. The sizing is more relative to their other products, than to an industry standard. Specs are your friend, but rarely reliable on these types of hammocks. At 6', it takes a pretty large hammock for me to lay like in the picture. I look for a 'family sized', or similarly titled, hammock. For just a sleeping hammock, where I'll be on the diagonal, anything 'double' (or similar) is generally fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroArvy View Post
    Also, I am buying from Australia and this brand looks as good as any to me. Do you have any specific recommendations?
    It looks expensive to me. It looks nice and I'm sure it will be comfy, but it's on the expensive end of the field. I suspect that this hammock is nearly the same thing, if not actually the same thing. I've ordered a big chunk of my Mayan collection from this site and have been downright pleased with the quality/price ratio.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts