LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    You may need a second pad to get down to temps as low as you're looking to get. Will mostly depend on you. If you are dead set on pads, then certainly look at double layer hammocks. As far as side sleeping goes, I sleep on my side in a gathered end hammock just fine, but not everyone can.

When thinking about quilts verses sleeping bags a quilt set the quilts are going to add about 20-30% more bulk and 20-30% more weight. But you're also lossing the wieght and bulk of the pad so it tends to balance out. The reasons most people prefer an UQ are (1) more comfortable and (2) easier to stay on top of. The main problem with pads is that in a hammock a standard width pad it simply is not wide enough. You will at some point roll off of it and become near instantly chilled.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Keep the questions coming as you research and consider. Hammocking is a ton of fun but has a bit more of a learning curve than tent camping.

The UQ will pack up to be bigger than your UL7 but isn't as big as a sleeping bag. Probably about half way in between, depending on which you get. As they're filled with down thy are definitely a solid choice for backpacking.

If you want to sleep down to 10, a 0* under quilt and 0* sleepin bag or top quilt would probably do the trick (depending on how hot/cold you sleep). The under quilts like the Lynx or Incubator tend to be pretty well rated to the temperature thy can keep you comfortable at.

You can follow the upcoming Colorado winter hang details at
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=63539
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    You may need a second pad to get down to temps as low as you're looking to get. Will mostly depend on you. If you are dead set on pads, then certainly look at double layer hammocks. As far as side sleeping goes, I sleep on my side in a gathered end hammock just fine, but not everyone can.

When thinking about quilts verses sleeping bags a quilt set the quilts are going to add about 20-30% more bulk and 20-30% more weight. But you're also lossing the wieght and bulk of the pad so it tends to balance out. The reasons most people prefer an UQ are (1) more comfortable and (2) easier to stay on top of. The main problem with pads is that in a hammock a standard width pad it simply is not wide enough. You will at some point roll off of it and become near instantly chilled.
    Some great points I didn't include in my last answer. +1
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    when i started hammocking i used a ccf pad and my old surplus mummy for a year or so.
    i was comfortable down to about 15. over the years i evolved to using quilts.
    the quilts are more comfortable, but to get started a hammock and tarp, in addition to my
    mummy and pad, was all i needed.
    i started with a WBBB and SF and i was off and hanging with the big dogs.
    i have since switched to all WildernessLogics gear and i find the NO is much more comfortable.
    my big tarp is a OMW.
    there are a bunch of good hammocks on the market so take your time, research what's out there'
    then just dive in!
    so much of hammock camping is personal preference and that comes from experience and
    reading about others experiences.

Have a Merry Christmas!
    __bob__

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yakyakgoose View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies. I live in Breckenridge for the ski season right now, I managed to get on a project working from home and am taking full advantage. But I def wouldnt mind meeting up for a group event to see some of these in action and meet people.

The pad is the sythetic version and the reason Im partial to the pad is that it packs up so small. Doesn't the underquilt end up being like packing a second sleeping bag?

I plan on using it mainly for backpacking.

So does having a down sleeping back rated more than the temps I want to be in and a pad make up for the underquilt? Hows that work?

Im going to look up the hammocks everyone listed and ask more q's
    Easy to side sleep in the WL Snipe or Night Owl.
    Pads will do you out there as well.
    Carry forth.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Your UL 7 syn mat is 4 oz lighter than the UL 7 down version but has half the insulation value (R-3.1 vs R-5.9). However, don't get too hung up on details in the beginning. Just go do it. Your personal preferences will evolve and change with each trip. After a year or two your set-up will probably be completely different from what you started out with. Also, all advice you will get here on this forum is expert advice. But remember it is highly slanted by personal preferences. I know mine differs greatly from most people here but it is what gives me the best nights sleep and least hassle in packing and set-up. Things that are important to me.

You have gotten a ton of good advise on hammocks and insulation, but you also expressed reservations about sleeping on your back and bent up or whatever. With almost all of the hammocks you see offered through the cottage industry folks, it is not a problem to achieve a pretty flat lay. The back sleeping issue may not really be an issue. I slept on my stomach for over 60 years, could not sleep on my back at all. Long story made short is that when I attempted to sleep in my hammock, on my back, it felt completely natural and that is the way I sleep now. I am full time hammock sleeping since May of this year, and it sure is nice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12