Tarp
    Superfly camo
    Insulation
    Zissou 15 Dridown
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hanging out in Cape Breton, Canada

Hello everyone!

I am a new member trying to learn about hammock, etc. I thought I was starting to learn what I needed to know after being on the HH site but then I came here.... There's a lot for me to learn.

I'm planning on taking a cross Canada trip this year from the east to the west and then all the way up north. The dempster highway, then coming back through alaska all on a Hammock and I need help.

Look forward to leaning the ropes here,

Thanks

Hammock
    Tree Boat
    Tarp
    Guide
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    straps
    Welcome to the forum macinnisl. This is the place to learn and ask questions.

It's nice to see another hanger in the province. If you ever get to the Dartmouth area we can do some hang'n out. Your trip sounds great , looking forward to hearing about it.

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome! Wife and I did the Cabot Trail this summer on our bike and hammocked most of the way - some nice country out there.

If you're planning on making it to Dempster this year, bring some mitts…oh and a flashlight - I don't think they have too much daylight left. Get a zero degree topquilt (TQ) and an underquilt (UQ) and have them overstuff as much of that fluffy white stuff as they possibly can, cause BRRRRR!

If you have time, watch Shug's video's on youtube, he has a (I think it's a 10 video) beginner series on hammocks. In fact you can watch him and others hang in northern Minnesota at like 100 below

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Welcome from an original Minnesotan

now, it pains me just to see Shug in those sub zero MN frozen butt hangs!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Dangerbird Custom in ACU Camo
    Tarp
    Superfly camo
    Insulation
    Zissou 15 Dridown
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by L84toff View Post
    Welcome! Wife and I did the Cabot Trail this summer on our bike and hammocked most of the way - some nice country out there.

If you're planning on making it to Dempster this year, bring some mitts…oh and a flashlight - I don't think they have too much daylight left. Get a zero degree topquilt (TQ) and an underquilt (UQ) and have them overstuff as much of that fluffy white stuff as they possibly can, cause BRRRRR!

If you have time, watch Shug's video's on youtube, he has a (I think it's a 10 video) beginner series on hammocks. In fact you can watch him and others hang in northern Minnesota at like 100 below
    Very cool the cabot trail is a lot of fun. I also rode it this year and then continued on accross Newfoundland, unfortunately last summer I had NO IDEA about Hammocks so I camped in a tent and sure enough my back hurt. Really looking forward to trying out the Hammocks.

Although I do eventually want to do some extreme hammocking in super cold temperatures I am planning on doing the Dempster in August. This will also mean I will be passing through Ontario... and all of Canada. Very excited about this trip.

I saw Shug's first video and I'm going to sit down and invest some time learning all about this. I need to acquire enough gear to get down to some pretty cold temperatures anyways though. The low's in August can get into the low freezing temperatures at night (around 0C for us Cannucks) and as high as +30's in the day. Should be a good trip.

I was thinking of getting a good topquilt and some sort of pad under me and a decent top cover. Any opinions on if I will need more then that?

Bluenose Climber I used to live in Halifax in 2008 I'll send you a line if I head back down that way! Same if you come up this way with your hammock let me know. Only thing is I suggest the Cabot trail is way nicer in the summer or fall as I am sure you know.

Thanks,

Luc

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by macinnisl View Post
    I was thinking of getting a good topquilt and some sort of pad under me and a decent top cover. Any opinions on if I will need more then that?
    We ended up with a couple of double layer Blackbird hammocks, opted for the dbl layer, at the time I thought I might try a pad. However in all my research (and even Shug says that they slide around a lot) I thought we would both like the UQ's better so we ended up getting those. Got a great deal on 4 quilts at Underground quilts. I have yet to try a pad btw.

With that said, there are those who like sleeping with a pad, so YMMV. It's definitely a cheaper way to start out, that's for sure. You can pick up some CCF and cut it yourself to the size you want.

Comfort wise, my wife has some back pain when getting up in the mornings on a regular mattress. When she sleeps in a hammock - nothing! She loves it. The only thing she says is that for some reason it takes her at least a night before she can sleep right through, I think it's just the change in the sleeping environment.

Anyway, you've come to a great forum, lots of nice folks here that love to talk hammock.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    and oh...forgot to mention.
    I hiked with a guy from Cape Breton for about 2 weeks this past summer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    welcome to Hammock Forums and hey from high point nc.

Hammock
    Dangerbird Custom in ACU Camo
    Tarp
    Superfly camo
    Insulation
    Zissou 15 Dridown
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks everyone!

Also a special thanks to Bluenose Climbers who by the sounds of it is going to help me to make a DIY Hammock this spring as well as a few other lads.

I can tell already that this forum is going to be great already I have had someone offer to guide me through which Hammock is best and Bluenose offer to show me how to make one! Great group! I'm very excited about this! Making stuff ties into my love the outdoors and being comfortable!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooo Buddy Welcome up the in Cape Breton)))))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast