DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

>Canada>Ont>EGL Gearing Up For Winter 2014-2015

EGL Gearing Up for Winter 2014-2015

With the snow starting to blow up north, it's high time we started thinking about everyone's favorite excuse to get out and do some laid back hanging and BBQ'n. Those who've come out before know the Gearing Up hang as an excuse to lolligag, roast meat and get a relaxing night's sleep. Newcomers get a chance to test out their winter rigs in a controlled environment and see how others have managed to take Old Man Winter's best shot and survived to tell the tale.

It'd be best to wait and have the hang when we're pretty sure of getting some cold weather. Daytime's not a problem, we usually have a nice fire going and night time, well, that's when we get to tuck ourselves in hammocks and drift contentedly off. I think somewhere within a week or two of New Year's sounds about right, so with that in mind, I'm going to suggest Saturday Jan 10, 2015 as the main night, with Friday Jan 9th for the early birds. Personally, I'm pretty flexible around dates.

Valens Conservation Area seems to fit the bill pretty nicely for this kind of hang. It's a drive-to, so the cars are on hand to pack in extra supplies (and/or blankets) and provide a bail out option if things get too uncomfortable. There's a heated washroom with showers next to the site and that's pretty hard to beat! Of course, depending on the turnout and the weather we might want to turn this into a proper back-country hang, but let's see where this goes.

Everyone's welcome, if even just to join us for lunch or dinner and there's no lack of trees to hang from.

I look forward to seeing you all out there!

Cheers,

Chard
    Last edited by Chard; 11-14-2014 at 01:26.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm up for a hang! Finally something that's not 7+ hours away.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Will talk to the Boss and see how it looks for us. Would be great to get out for a group meal again!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Ahh, EGL trips, a chance to gain some weight after the holidays. Sounds fun.

I was talking to one of my students who is a wilderness guide and he said he always loses weight on trips. I told him he's camping with the wrong people.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Noob question. What's EGL?
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    Eastern Great Lakes

A great group to camp with although you should be warned that some (hahaha - almost all) take their hanging and their cooking very, very seriously....)

Have a great time at Valens guys, we'll see you in the spring when there's no snow on the ground and the water moves...

Would love to come but unfortunately don't have the winter gear for it

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by northboundcanadian View Post
    If you are close by, you could always visit for lunch or dinner. Also, keep an eye on the this thread as there are many people here with extra gear to lend. My first winter hang was done with borrowed equipment since my inbound gear was sitting in a post office.

As always I will be working on attending.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    aaarrrgghhh!!! I'm not going to make it again to Valens this year!
    I was so hoping to get up and hang with the Canadians again, eh.
    If things change I'll be there.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I'm up for a hang! Finally something that's not 7+ hours away.
    Excellent! Looking forward to meeting you. Yeah, we do quite a few backcountry hangs and for the most part that means heading north but we've got some diehard hangers coming from as London Ontario (5+ hours) and Buffalo's about as far. We can chat more about it at the Hang.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Will talk to the Boss and see how it looks for us. Would be great to get out for a group meal again!
    Nice! It's been over a year since Pen! We need to get you guys out again!

Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    Ahh, EGL trips, a chance to gain some weight after the holidays. Sounds fun. I was talking to one of my students who is a wilderness guide and he said he always loses weight on trips. I told him he's camping with the wrong people.
    Well sounds to me like your student would waste away on a long trip; not a recipe for survival at all! Sounds like he needs a new recipe... for Chow-da!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Eastern Great Lakes
    Like the Lakes themselves, the spirit of name was meant to span borders, whether they be provinces or countries. Afterall, in one way or another, we all have a vested interest in this amazing watershed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    A great group to camp with although you should be warned that some (hahaha - almost all) take their hanging and their cooking very, very seriously....) Have a great time at Valens guys, we'll see you in the spring when there's no snow on the ground and the water moves...
    Keep your tools sharp. You'll have a better time, a better product and more time to relaxing. I think people get into hanging out of a healthy sense of curiousity and a desire to improve our time outdoors, as limited as it usually is. Otherwise, we'd all still be tenting. Not only do I love seeing all of the hammock camping oriented products people have bought to fill a particular need (or want), I've always been impressed by the number of DIY'ers that come out on these EGL hangs. I've also been amazed by the quality of the down-home cooking the gang brings to the hangs. Between fresh baked banana cakes, home dehydrated 5 alarm chili, grilled venison, some of the best hot sauces I've ever tried, and (if I may say myself) some of the best **** stews if ever eaten in the bush or in a restaurant, there's never a want of variety. Granted we're usually either canoeing/portaging or car camping and weight isn't as much as a concern as it would be when backpacking. But then again, that's one of the beauties of canoeing.

Quote Originally Posted by northboundcanadian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    If you are close by, you could always visit for lunch or dinner. Also, keep an eye on the this thread as there are many people here with extra gear to lend. My first winter hang was done with borrowed equipment since my inbound gear was sitting in a post offic.
    Ditto. Coming out for the day trip is certainly a great option. Depending on the weather, it might be possible to McGyver an outfit, or as Bubba said, gear might be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    As always I will be working on attending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    aaarrrgghhh!!! I'm not going to make it again to Valens this year!
    I was so hoping to get up and hang with the Canadians again, eh.
    If things change I'll be there.
    Hey Bubba! As always, I'll be hoping you'll be able to come out.

Hey Crash! Hopefully you finangle a way to make the Valens hang, but if not, let's try to get you out in the Spring!
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast