a few questions about full time hanging

I want to go full time I know that i sleep so much better in the hammock my only problem is I'm not sure its possible at my house. I weigh 330 and the only room I have where I could hang is only 10X10 and I want to hang an eno dn

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    You should be okay....if worried about the weight you can screw a 2x4 into a few studs and then hang off that. With that size room you can use different suspension. Good luck!
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsfan05 View Post
    I want to go full time I know that i sleep so much better in the hammock my only problem is I'm not sure its possible at my house. I weigh 330 and the only room I have where I could hang is only 10X10 and I want to hang an eno dn
    Think about building or buying a hammock stand rather than messing around with beefing up your walls. with the 10x10 room you will probably be OK diagonally.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    I would just put a 4x4 in each corner of the room, affix them to the wall(s) somehow (doesn't need to be very robust because they will only be supporting the downward forces of gravity and since they are in the corner the walls will prevent them from falling over due to side to side motion), and put a 2x4 or chainlink fence toprail between the two corner posts to prevent the compressive forces from pulling the 4x4's away from the walls. Then use dejoha's hang calculator to figure out the height that you should hang from to get what you want.

If you read up on the turtlelady stand (huuuuuuge thread) you will learn about what I'm talking about. It separates the two forces (gravity pulling down and the hammock pulling the two ends inward) and makes it possible. The biggest issue I see for you would be to make sure that your attachment to the 4x4's is very strong and will hold you. Maybe a big eyebolt (at the correct height) that you put in the 4x4 and bolt it all the way through and shave some of the corner of the 4x4 off (the part that will be nestled into the corner of your walls) so that you can put in a washer and the nut in a way that won't prevent the 4x4 from fitting into the corner.

Just a thought... clear as mud, I'm sure

Dave

P.S. It would probably be best and easiest to have your toprail near your hang height and then you can just do your eyebolt through your toprail (2x4 or something like that laying on the top of your height adjusted and cut to size corner 4x4's) next to the 4x4/toprail joint... it's clear to me but might not be very well explained
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    If I understand what you're asking about, if you place the hammock diagonally in the room, you'll have about 14 ft to hang. Should be enough, but follow the advice given above about not using your walls to support the hammock and instead build a separate stand.

Hammock
    $25 Walmart special
    Tarp
    Custom Squidbilly
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/huggers
    gunsfans,

Since I first started reading this forum I find it really interesting that so many members use hammocks for sleep therapy. My wife is one, too. Kind of cool that a aspect of our camping pastime offers such awesome reward.

I like the diagonal hang idea. If your room constuction is standard wood frame construction, the corners of the room should have what are called "tee posts" where walls adjoin. This will be much stronger than brackets lag-bolted to a stud. The 4x4 post lagged to the corners is an excellent idea. Another idea would be to lag-bolt brackets made of 3" angle iron. If you have someone who can weld, have them weld a ring to it for attaching your slings.

I made flat bar iron brackets (two holes for lag bolts, one ring for hammock attachment) for my wife's "sleep therapy" hammock. When I lay my 230 lb carcass in it, the walls creak. but do hold. Those brackets are only lagged to wall studs. I imagine the diagonal room set up would be much stronger.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    So I am not full time in my house, but I do hang on occasion and have spent the last week hanging indoors. I currently hang diagonally in my bedroom because it allows enough room to just use the hammock as is, but if you're going to dedicate a hammock to use in your bedroom.... I would modify the suspension to work in a smaller space so I could hang more out of the way. It is pretty frustrating to have the hammock go from corner to corner and trying to walk around it and get to the closet and what not. Just my 2 cents.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    well me and my lady friend just put bolts in the studs and well one hammock holds me and her. but we do have separate hammocks too. the studs hold up nicely.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    At your weight I would be leary of just attaching to the studs. samsara's idea would impart little or no pressure on the walls if I'm understanding his idea. As far as interfering with the room access just unclip one end of the suspension and reclip on the opposite end thus opening up the entire room. Using a chainlink fence toprail, 2 sections, with eyebolts attached to the rail and the rail resting in notches on the 4x4s the rail sections can be removed and stood in a corner along with the hammock. Thanks for the question. This may possibly be the way I can hang my hammock in the RV while traveling to Maine next summer.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Just make a turtledog stand out of 2x2's (or 4x4's if your really worried about the behavior of the 2x2's with your weight). Square off the bottoms of the legs with the floor (this will require a little geometry to get the angle of the cut just right) and place a 'furniture foot' on the bottom of each to protect your floor. That should hold you up nicely and won't require any room modifications.
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

"A man stands tallest when he stoops to help a boy."

• + New Posts