Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Yep... I really like Brandons setup.. .. I rekon a lot of us like the fiddle factor, me included, but as of now I see no reason for whoopies yet.. Maybe tomorrow......
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    I started with 550 cord and had no problems or stretching at all. Easy and simple way to hang a hammock if you ask me. Now I have a WBBB and use the the webbing it came with. Again no problems and or stretching. Have not needed to venture into the Whoopie World yet. Probably wont need to.
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I put whoopies on the hammock I made and subsequently am giving to my Brother. My RR came with the buckle set up, and I can't really figure out how a whoopie/tree strap set up is going to be much if any lighter. I'd be interested to see some numbers on what an average, ready to rock whoopie set up weighs including dowels or w/e to hold the marlin spike. I can provide the WB suspension weight. The suspension with the rings and cont loop on it weighs 6.5oz.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yup, web+buckles forever for me! I never thought about unthreading the webbing. It all stays together for me, just shove the whole thing into the stuff sack and I'm done.

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by Latch View Post
    I agree. Not sure why everyone switches to whoopie slings?? I hope I can make it to a "Hang" this winter so I can see a set-up with whoopies to see what all the hype is about.
    Whoopie slings are much lighter and are just as quick to adjust.

All a matter if taste and bulk in the pack.
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by CB200T View Post
    I'd be interested to see some numbers on what an average, ready to rock whoopie set up weighs including dowels or w/e to hold the marlin spike.
    My 6 foot whoopie slings, attached directly to the hammock, with 5 ft tree straps and aluminum arrow shaft toggles, weigh only 1 ounce less than my web and buckles. As for bulk, the whoopies may have an advantage there - but not much since you need a pair of tree straps to go with it.
    I keep going back to web and buckles - haven't found anything I like better.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I switched out my straps to a whoopie setup. Partly because of the ease of storing them separately from the hammock (due to tree sap or getting wet).

Also, it sounds like it's just me, but while the buckles aren't necessarily hard to adjust, I find that whoopies tend to be easier, especially when there's a bit of weight on the system from the hammock, attached quilts, etc.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    My 6 foot whoopie slings, attached directly to the hammock, with 5 ft tree straps
    I have the same setup using Dynaglide and 900# straps.
    The suspension total weight for both ends of the hammock is 3.1 oz. this will accommodate 18" diameter trees with 20' of clear space between them.

I have tried every buckle system out there and find them all to be a pain in the fingers to adjust. I would go with whoopies even if they were heavier.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I have tried every buckle system out there and find them all to be a pain in the fingers to adjust.
    +1. My fingers can never seem to move the buckles and allow things to slide quite as easily as I've seen on the videos. Whoopies are much easier to adjust for me.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    +1. My fingers can never seem to move the buckles and allow things to slide quite as easily as I've seen on the videos. Whoopies are much easier to adjust for me.
    This is one point that Brandon and I disagree on. I do not like the buckles; not even a little bit. They are a constant challenge for me to make adjustments. My fingers have all been broken at least once, so they don't always want to work so good; particularly when it's cold out, which is one of my favorite times to go out. I've tried, really hard, to like them...no luck!

Whoopies are nice and I use them semi-frequently. Primarily, I reserve them for times when I'm concerned about weight. Any gram in a storm. I've never had a problem with them and adjustments are relatively easy to make. Not to mention that making them quickly becomes addictive.

However, after playing, futzing, and messing around with every suspension system out there, I've gone back to the second system I ever used: rings and webbing. This method is by far the easiest to adjust for me. Yes sure, it requires a backup knot that takes all of 1.3 seconds to tie, but adjustments happen even quicker. The weight is greater than the buckles, but not enough to be of any consequence to me. Also, because of the rounded edge of the descending rings, there is never any chance at all of nicking or catching the webbing on an edge. The webbing moves through them just as smooth as butter, which is why you need the backup knot.

Folks ask me if I have any totally 'stock' hammocks. I usually say "Yes, I just got a new one last week and just haven't had time to switch out the suspension yet." This is often the only change I make to hammocks, but I almost always make it. Long live Rings and Webbing!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast