WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

a longer hammock?

Just throwing a question out there-----what difference does hammock length make, and is it possible to make a hammock too long?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I just finished a 11 ft DIY double layered that I have found to be very comfortable. Have not had a problem hanging it unless I am using Whoppies at some of my hanging spots. Still deciding on using Whoopies or straps with adjustable buckles with this hammock.

I do find it comfortable enough that I am working on another 11 footer using a different fabric.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I just finished a 11 ft DIY double layered that I have found to be very comfortable. Have not had a problem hanging it unless I am using Whoppies at some of my hanging spots. Still deciding on using Whoopies or straps with adjustable buckles with this hammock.

I do find it comfortable enough that I am working on another 11 footer using a different fabric.
    As to the length and using whoopies, on my 11ft, I have continiuos loops at the ends. If I find a spot that is far, I attach the whoopies, if it's close, I just hook the continiuos loops onto my Dutch Buckles on my tree straps. Then adjust the buckles for the hang length. Not as easy to adjust as the whoopies, but not bad.....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    As to the length and using whoopies, on my 11ft, I have continiuos loops at the ends. If I find a spot that is far, I attach the whoopies, if it's close, I just hook the continiuos loops onto my Dutch Buckles on my tree straps. Then adjust the buckles for the hang length. Not as easy to adjust as the whoopies, but not bad.....RR
    Can you post a pic of how you set this up? I love my whoopies but do want to make a longer hammock so I am curious what this set up looks like.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    longer hammocks will get rid of the leg cramps or knee discomfort,,you can lay diagnol alot better,,,flatter lay,,,lay on your side even easier...some of the taller guys are even going to 12' hammocks.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thats exactly what I needed to know---thanks guys!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    ...and is it possible to make a hammock too long?
    The weight and bulk you want to deal with and how high you are able to hang the suspension will be a couple of the determining factors for this.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The weight and bulk you want to deal with and how high you are able to hang the suspension will be a couple of the determining factors for this.
    Also, tarp coverage cab become a growing issue the longer it goes. 11 footers are generally fine, but too much longer and the ends may not be fully/well covered by most tarps.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook
    I recently up sized to a BIAS 11ft hammock. It's only 8" wider than my previous one but the extra length really made a huge difference in comfort. I'm using the fixed 9ft ridgeline that came with it and it makes the sag perfect.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    My 9x9 tarp only works on my 11 foot hammock when turned on the diagonal because an 11 foot hammock has a 9 foot ridgeline and you need rain coverage on the ends. So the perfect tarp is (to me) 8x12 or 10x12...that way it doesn't require the diagonal hang and gives maximum protection. Other than that, an 11 foot hammock makes a tremendous difference. I am sure a 12 footer would be even nicer, but you start to limit yourself with hanging options and tarps at some point.

Things I notice with longer hammocks:
    1) Less calf pressure. It matters. Get the sag right, though.
    2) Can manage with narrower hammocks. Add to the length and you need less width.
    3) More storage area in the hammock. Takes some ingenuity but there's more dead space at the head and foot.
    4) An 11 footer that's four feet wide feels a lot roomier than a 9 footer that's 52 inches wide.

Can you make a hammock too long? You have to get a diagonal lie to be flat... at some point, hammocks become too narrow to be used on a diagonal. At some point, hammocks become too long to be made wide. There's the weight factor. To get a 12 foot hammock to weigh the same as an 11 footer, you have to reduce several inches of width. When you do this, the lie becomes less flat. Or the hammock becomes heavier as an alternative. Then you have to carry a longer, heavier tarp. Then you have to deal with trees farther apart. It starts to limit you.

Everyone has a different belief. I subscribe to the 56-inch-wide and 11-foot-long theory of the perfect hammock. 52 inches wide for ultralighters...But that's just my belief. Plenty of others exist and no one is wrong. HYOH.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast