Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I tried using some of the Knorr sides; several with different noodles. They all tasted thick, slimy and too hard, even after 20 minutes in a cozy. So it was really poor recepies on my part.

I've read a lot more about "assembled" meals for FBC and I've also found an old dehydrater my wife had bought me 20 years ago. Last night I experiemented with dehydrating cooked angle hair pasta, ground beef and some spaghetti sauce left over from dinner. The unit works quite well but I can tell I'm going to have to experiment.

I do think cooked pasta that's been dehydrated will taste less starchy when rehydrated....we'll see
    The Knorr Pasta sides take up to 20 minutes of actual cooking time to cook. if you are using them you need to start dehydrating them in the afternoon in your freezer bag with water and then they are ready to cook again by the time you boil the water in the evening. Dehydrating pasta is much better, or you need to find instant pasta ( harder to find!) I use the Knorr sauces and they are a good tasty addition.
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Sounds like you had a good time.
    I really enjoyed your photos.
    Thanks

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Great report... Looks like fun glad you made it home safe and kept a cool head about losing the trail... Sometimes slowing down and looking at what your doing and where your supposed to be going is the only way to make it home...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Great report Gideon! Love the pics. I use natural sleep aid when I'm not concerned with maintaining an elevated alertness. Anything with melatonin and valerian root works good for me.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Nice report. Nice pix. The Irish wilderness is a wonderful and interesting place. Un touched by man for nearly 200 years. There are many bear in the wilderness, but I believe the rub was done by a large buck.

p.s. I'm a long time backpacker, and a brand new hammock camper. I was wondering if any of you Missouri guys could recomend a good 4 season tarp suitable for our weather here.
    Last edited by Ozarkhillbender; 12-15-2012 at 20:44.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Hello Ozark...if you want to go all out on the tarp, I'd recommend the 4 seasons cuben fiber tarp from Hammock gear. It weights about 8 oz and has 4 doors. You can rig the doors with shock cord so they're open and folded back, then when you need them you unhook the shock cord from the side pull outs and you can close it up tight.

If you use trekking poles it's simply outstanding.

If you look at the picture of me sitting under my tarp; well that's the tarp I'm talking about. I ordered it with an extra foot on the ridgeline so it's 12 ft long; helps keep the longer hammocks tucked underneath the tarp on the ends.

Despite being so light it seems quite strong. I also like the cuben fiber becasue it let's in the light so during the day it isn't dark under your tarp.

So for 8 oz, I have 4 doors, side pull outs and an extra long length. With the doors secured back, it's a great summer tarp in porch mode but with the doors closed and the tarp hung closer to the ground you're good to go for winter or severe weather hanging.

The only draw back to the cuben fiber is that is does NOT blend in with the surroundings. That can be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective. I like to blend in when I'm out in the woods; don't know why but I always have. You'll see your tarp hundreds of yards away!

Gideon

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    awesome trip report, thanks for sharing!

To me, that Oak tree looks like it was ripped up by a bear just because of the near linear lines in the bark. Course it is very hard to tell through a picture. do you remember seeing any velvet in the vicinity?

Anyways, looks like you had fun and again, thanks for sharing!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    Gideon,
    Thanks for your trip report. I have shared a lot of the same experiences over my solo trips. My first attempt at FB cooking turned out like yours, and your advice to experiment at home first is more than wise. One meal I used on my last trip was half a bag of instant potatoes (side dish), one half cup of stove top, and the smallest can of chicken I could by at Walmart. I paid a little bit of a weight penalty for the canned chicken, but the meal was easy to fix, cheap to buy(less than $3.00), and actually tasted good. As far as the restlessness I have just come to accept that sleep deprivation will be part of my back country trips until I can go n a long enough trip to break myself of this learned behavior. I had hoped to thru hike the LT in Vermont late next year and figured it would either cure me of restlessness or drive me crazy Either way I wouldn’t have to deal with it anymore
    Peace,
    Gris
    Last edited by Gris; 12-17-2012 at 13:55.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast