WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images

Smile Finally a chance to use my Expedition!!

Well, finally I was able to try out my Expedition Classic.

Initial impressions:
    I loved it!
    It was awesome!
    My son is begging for his own (ok, when the next sale comes around)

Observations/questions:
    1. seemed like I was too high on the left side, I was hitting/nearly hitting the netting -- kept adjusting my position but then I felt like I was not angled quite right.
    2. what is the best way to get into your sleeping bag? I was able to get in just fine at the legs by turning it on its side but the upper body seemed a little tougher.
    3. the bottom entry was fine, but would the side zipper entry make #1 & #2 easier?

Other thoughts:
    1. I think I will never bring a tent again as long as there are trees where we are going.
    2. At 6 foot, 208 pounds, I found the size fine. Unless that is related to my observations/questions above....
    3. Since I'm going to get one for my son now, I'm thinking going Explorer Deluxe Ultra-light (light version of the Explorer Deluxe). Any other things I ought to consider?

Thank you for your feedback.
    Last edited by dchrismer; 12-10-2012 at 10:40.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    1. Might just be a matter of getting used to how close the bug net is on these types of hammocks. Even on my Explorer the net is near the face.
    2. I either turn my bag on its side and use as a top quilt or use an actual top quilt. What are you using for under side insulation?
    3. Absolutely! Did it to both my HHs. 2Q and ZQ are wonderful people and easy to do business with.

Other thoughts:
    1. Amen!
    2. An Explorer might fit you better but it's bigger and thus heavier.
    3. Don't forget to consider other great brands like Warbonnet, etc.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the response Knotty.
    since the temps were only low 60s - upper 50s, I did not use anything under me except for the sleeping bag itself. That is, when I was completely in it. The late night mother nature call is what messed it up I think. I'm thinking I'll try my thermarest pad when I need undercover.

I will check out the Warbonnet blackbird but I really like Hennessy at this point in time.

When I get another hammock, it will be for me and my son will get the Expedition Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    1. Might just be a matter of getting used to how close the bug net is on these types of hammocks. Even on my Explorer the net is near the face.
    2. I either turn my bag on its side and use as a top quilt or use an actual top quilt. What are you using for under side insulation?
    3. Absolutely! Did it to both my HHs. 2Q and ZQ are wonderful people and easy to do business with.

Other thoughts:
    1. Amen!
    2. An Explorer might fit you better but it's bigger and thus heavier.
    3. Don't forget to consider other great brands like Warbonnet, etc.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I too have the HH Exp. and due to some limited mobility the bottom entry is about the only thing I can use. I was about to give up on the hammock idea when Rev told me about his experience with the HH bottom entry system. I am sold now.

My lowest temp so far in it has been about 40F +/-. What I used was a Wal Mart CCF (closed cell foam) pad (the 15.00 one as it is wider). I split the pad about 1/3 of the way from the bottom in order to allow me easy entry and used my 30F sleeping bag over me. Oh yes, I put a 2'x2' piece of Refective under my feet to keep them warm.

I had tried using my Therm A Rest in it but I spent more time chasing and adjusting it than sleeping. I even tried putting some of that non stick rubberized carpet underlayment under it and I still could not get it to "lay down".

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Go with the Explorer UL, you'll enjoy the extra space. I'm 6 foot and about 180. I've slept in my son's Expedition and they're just a bit cramped for me. The difference in weight between the two is negligible so go with more room.

I use the round reinforcement patch on the bottom entry as my reference spot. I put my bottom right on that and then wiggle around to get myself as diagonal as I can stand. Yes, the netting ends up a little close to your face on the left side. You need to be a little cautious not to put your arm up against the netting since the little bloodsuckers can bite through it (and the fabric in fact). Other than that, I love it.

I did the zipper mod to my Explorer a couple of years ago. It's like a new hammock. I haven't used the bottom entry since but it's nice to have it just in case I need to make a quick exit or the zipper jams (belt and suspenders I guess). 2QZQ do great work and the price is very reasonable. The end product is much nicer than the factory HH zipper. The zipper entry does make negotiating getting into a sleeping bag a little easier. There are some videos here somewhere but basically you hop into the bag while standing on your little tyvek mat, zip it up to your waist, then sit back into the hammock. That's the best way I've found, YMMV.

Good luck

• + New Posts