Hammock
    Clark NX-250

The NX-250 performed flawlessly

I must say that the NX-250 rocked on my first outing!

The list of sleeping gear I took:
    1. Clark NX-250 with the XL Rain Fly
    2. An old Coleman sleeping bag from the 80s
    3. Therma rest Prolite Plus
    4. Mid-weight polartec base layer clothing
    5. Small throw fleece blanket
    6. A beanie
    7. Wool socks

I took the hammock out to east Texas for a short camping trip with some friends. I didn't have too much of a hard time setting it up once I found the trees to use. I did notice that I had to hang the tree huggers a little high since the trees were spread apart a good distance. I'm learning as I go. Also, I could have done a better job setting up the tarp as well, but it worked fine. One little trick I tried was using pony tail hair ties as a make shift shock cord on each of the tarp loops. Seemed to work pretty decent.

The temperature was very nice during the day(high 60s or so), but at night it got around 38-40 degrees. While we were kicking back around the campfire trying to stay warm, I kept thinking that I might not be able to handle the cold in the hammock since I'm a warm sleeper. We'll needless to say, once I got into the hammock and my sleeping bag, I stayed pretty toasty. The only cold that I felt was on my face. I only woke up twice through out the night mainly shifting from my back to my side. I think I could have endured maybe 5-7 degrees lower before it might start to feel a little uncomfortable.

This first outing was good experience in the hammock and it gave me an idea of additional stuff I'd like to buy.

The list of additional sleep gear:
    1. Balaclava
    2. Small tarp to place under the hammock on the ground
    3. Small light for inside the hammock
    4. Small thermometer
    5. Better sleeping bag.
    6. Replace the suspension system... Seriously thinking about whoopie slings

I'm also looking into underquilts, top quilts, and a larger tarp, but I'm still doing my research on them.

After a couple of months of researching all the cool hammock brands out there, I'm happy that I spent the money for an NX-250. I have to say that this was the most comfortable night of sleep that I've ever had camping. And all you guys are a great wealth of information and good inspiration for mods.

jlesp2112, a great piece of gear you have there. I have the same thing, have been using it as my nightly sleeping place since the end of May and don't plan to quit. The only way to really believe the comfort is to use it. I changed out my suspension, I replaced the ropes with endless loops of amsteel 7/64, to these I attach straps with elephant trunks, which work great, but there are a number of otheer options for straps that many like as well or better, your choice. I find that I like the straps for their ease of operation, as well as that they will adjust very close, where whoopie slings often don't. An under quilt will make that thing rock, I mean for real. Happy hanging friend.

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Very cool hammock, welcome aboard.

Hammock
    ENO Double - (for now)
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ, Rev-X 0* TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Congrats! Sounds like a great start.

Hammock
    My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock
    Whoopies will make your life so much easier. Also, learn the "PRUSSIC" knot. It will make setting up your tarp much easier too.
    You'll have to find out what you like best and what works for you. The biggest thing is, have fun.
    Don't take life so seriously, its not permenant.

• + New Posts