Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Richloam Florida March 2017 North Loop

Well, my adventure began early, on the way to this hang, and ended early. Still, it included a Friday night under the stars, surrounded by dear friends around the campfire. Beautiful clear skies, 70's daytime, 50's nighttime.

The adventure began with my car overheating after traveling 175 miles with only 25 to go. Parked on the shoulder of a 2-lane country road, I called O-boy, who I knew would be on the same route as me. After telling him where I broke down, to my delight, he said he was only 20 minutes behind me! He took me to buy coolant & by the time we returned to my car, the engine had cooled. With fresh coolant, O-boy followed me the hang, with no further problems.

My trip included only the first night, spent about a mile from the trailhead. I had gotten a head cold earlier in the week. Still recovering, I didn't want chance the long hike of Sat/Sun & get sick again.

But that one night with friends was more than worth the 400 mile round trip. And to think I almost didn't make it if it hadn't been for O-boy coming to my rescue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MAD777; 03-25-2017 at 12:03.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Relaxing in the woods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I wasn't able to make it all the way to the end of this hike either. After a great time spent around the fire with friends old and new and a belly full of Hobo Pack Low Country Boil I headed off to the hammock. Didn't take long to realize that a tooth that had been twinging once in awhile was going to be trouble. Used most of the meds in my kit and and decided to call for a pickup and cut my hike short this morning. Hope everyone has a great time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Well, it's obvious you made good use of the time you had! LOL

Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema

Just some pics to wet your whistle.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    Here is a short video Dancing Spider put together for your viewing.

https://youtu.be/4KqvhklLSDo
    Last edited by Life Scout; 03-26-2017 at 17:59.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Wow! Impressive video, Life Scout! It captured all the flavors of that hike!

Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Looks good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Well, my weekend started at about 5am on Friday. Met Big_Country at his house at bout 6:20 and we headed to Lakeland, to retrieve olddog. We were the first three to arrive and after enjoying a cold brew, at the fire tower parking area, we set out on the 1/2 mile hike to our Friday camp. Friday evening was spent catching up, with old friends, as well as meeting new ones. We awoke Saturday and enjoyed our breakfasts, before the day's hike. We said our goodbyes to a handful, who were backing out, for various reasons and headed off, across the Richloam forest. We hit our first water cache, to discover, half the jugs were empty, from critter claws. I pondered why critters, would need our water, when it was much easier for them to get at it in the swamp. It seems, someone, thought it a good idea, to pack Propel packets, with the water. We salvaged, what water was left and ate our lunch. As the others, were still eating, Birdiesgirl and I, began the last leg of the hike. We ended up at camp third and fourth, as emcee and jimj, had arrived ahead of us. The rest showed up, shortly after, minus Big_country. It seems, at a turn in the trail, he kept walking, down the road. The 5 gallon water stash, at the camp, was intact, even though there was propel, packed in with it too. However, with the large group, we thought it best, to go retrieve more water from Blue Sink pond. So, emcee,craigc,jimj and myself, set off for water duty. We made it a group effort, filling bags and sifting duck weed, from the water. The baby gators, were present, but no sign of momma gator. We have deduced, that she has already abandoned them. As we arrived back at camp, Big_country, had arrived, to complete the group. Saturday night, was spent around camp, in sort of mellow conversation, with a few laughs mixed in. We were all pretty tired and I think, we were all in the hammocks, by 10pm. Big_country and myself, decided we were going to try and hit the trail, at daylight, this morning. So, my clock was set for 5am. I had to water the bushes, at 4:15am, this morning and it was apparent, with the owls hollering, that I was not going to get another 45 minutes sleep. I sat in my hammock, just enjoying the sounds, for about 20 minutes. I decided, I would go ahead and pack up and get it out of the way. By 5am, I was all packed and headed for the picnic table, for my coffee. Big_country awoke at 5:30 and the two of us, sat there, enjoying our coffee and the stars. This is my favorite part of camping. That time of the morning, just before sunrise. The peacefulness of the woods, at that time, is food for my soul. Well, Big_country, Birdiesgirl and myself, headed off, down the trail, just before 8am. It was a beautiful hike and when we reached the last water cache, it was intact. We didn't need a lot, but topped off our bottles. We arrived at the fire tower around 10;30am and decided to hang out and wait for the others. We said goodbyes and another successful trip, was in the books. This group, has become very special. We are comfortable enough, with one another, that we can pick at each other and just laugh it off. You guys are some of the best people I know!
    DSCF0197.jpg
    DSCF0200.jpg
    DSCF0201.jpg
    DSCF0202.jpg
    DSCF0203.jpg
    DSCF0204.jpg
    DSCF0205.jpg
    DSCF0206.jpg
    DSCF0207.jpg
    DSCF0208.jpg
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan