90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

3rd Annual Bussey Point Campout and Cookoff (Lincolnton, GA) Trip Report

The 3rd Annual Bussey Point Campout and Cookoff was a great success! We had 15 hammocks, 3 tents and an A-liner camping for the weekend. More folks joined us on Saturday for the main cook-off event and geocaching. This was a geocaching event hosted by PilgrimsProgress of Augusta, GA.

When I arrived with Yardmaster3 (a geocaching friend), Mr. PP greeted us and showed us where the campsites were. We chose the last site which had plenty of well spaced trees and was also close to the primitive bathroom facilities. I quickly set up my gear, which was a completely new set-up for me as I had a new tablecloth hammock, a Hennessey Hex tarp, a PL for a cocoon, and my DIY down UQ and TQ. I expected it might take me awhile to get everything just right, but it all went up amazingly easily.

After awhile, Hermit showed up, chose his trees and set up his gear. Later, kkd4f joined us. This was our first hang together, although he had hung with Doc at Helen, GA. Gladius and a friend finally arrived late into the evening as he had to work and had a long drive to get to us. Another geocacher, SCGeoNinja camped on our site with us.

As the day progressed, many geocachers and hangers trickled in until we had 6 campsites filled. On our site, we had 5 hammocks on Friday night and 7 hammocks with 2 tents on Saturday night.

Friday night, we visited the hosts campsite for supper, a yummy potato soup and also some spicy tuna with grilled veggies! Lots of laughs around the campfire, roasting marshmallows and some gooey concoction involving ice cream cones, bananas, and marshmallows rounded out the evening.

On Saturday morning, we started the day with breakfast of egg frittata and saugsage provided by the hosts...YUM! Afterwards, I began getting all the ingredients ready for my entry in the cook-off main dish category, Cowboy Stew. It included bacon (everything is better with bacon), top sirloin roast cut into bite size pieces, salsa, black beans, corn, mixed vegetables, a can of chili, tomato paste, A1 sauce, worcestershire sauce and a special pepper blend. After everything was in the pot, kk4df graciously kept watch over it for me so I could go do a little geocaching with some of the others. Kk4df decided to stay behind so he could make his cherry cobbler, which was outstanding! When we returned, it was time for the judges to come-a-tasting! They came to our campsite first! They were very nice and checked out our campfire setup with our dutch ovens. They seemed very impressed with both the stew and the cobbler...cleaning their plates!
    After they had visited each site and sampled the entries, we all made our way with the food to the host campsite. After much deliberation, the winners were chosen. I won 2nd place for the Cowboy Stew and was awarded a $25 Amazon gift card...Whoo Hoo...now I can buy more gear! We all filled our plates with amazingly good food and desserts...so much that we were all stuffed to the gills!

After lunch, some went on a LONG hike (7-8 miles) to find geocaches and some went even further logging about 15 miles hiked! I decided to stay back as I did not think my hip would think kindly of me if I tortured it in that way. We were also expecting Doc and Elysse to arrive and I wanted to be there as I had some new gear for him. After getting them set up, and Gladius and I fighting...I mean...working together to re-rig our underquilts, we headed back up to the host site for a leftover supper and more campfire time.

There were 6 new geocaches placed in the park on Saturday, so we decided to hop in Yardmaster3's truck and go do some night geocaching! Donning flashlights, we were able to find them all. Fortunately, we had BlueEagle with us who had found 5 of them earlier in the day and was able to give us a nudge when we got stuck. It was a lot of fun looking for all the new caches!

When we returned, we had some more campfire time at our own site. It had been a long day and we were all pretty tired, so we hit the hammocks and I think we were all out like lights (after listening to a coyote serenade.) Sunday morning, we awoke to a couple of rain drops, but mostly just a foggy mist hanging low over the lake. I could hear a deer huffing in the nearby pine thicket and walking around, but it never appeared. We had a relaxing morning of coffee and eggs and then began packing up. Goodbyes and See-you-laters were exchanged and we all headed back to the real world...looking forward to the next time we could call meet back in the woods.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bussey Pointe Pics<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>password: Bussey
    Last edited by Junebugdawn; 12-12-2012 at 19:58. Reason: added info
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

• + New Posts