Dream Hammock, WBBB 1.1 DL and DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly & Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap

Rolled Hem Foot

I have a Kenmore thread injector (or more accurately my better half has one that I've confiscated). I've been looking for a rolled hem foot that would fit my machine, but haven't had much success. I found a 1/8 rolled hem foot at Hancock Fabrics, but it has a shank/shaft attached to the foot and the Kenmore takes a clip-on type foot.

Is there anyone not there that has been able to find a rolled hem foot for a Kenmore machine? Or can the foot with the shank (I'm not sure of the current sewing term) be modified to work on my machine?

Thanks.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Does your machine have 2 holes in the bed to the right of the foot?
    If so, something like this might be of interest.
    http://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/s...MACHINE/Detail

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have never gotten rolled hem feet to work. So I don't even pay attention to them any more. Having said that... Your foot may clip on but there should still be a removable shaft on the presser rod. Of course just because you can remove the shaft does not mean the other one will replace it properly. Obviously you would want to make sure before you drop any significant change or went about dissecting your better half's machine even if it _is_ on your worktable now.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Ditto what Papa posted.

Speaking of "Hemmer Attachments", I struggle to make them work. I'd love for someone to put up a short video showing one in use. I'm hoping it might shorten my learning curve. In the mean time, I'll stick with rolling the hem by hand.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly & Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap
    I think i might get the "universal" foot I saw at the store and try it out. However, it was only a 1/8 inch hem. Too narrow?

I was thinking something more like a 1/2 inch. ButI guess I might have to take what I can get.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly & Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap
    PapaSmurf - I can't remember right off the top of my head. I'll look when I get home. If so, your linked item might do the trick. I'll check.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillnGA View Post
    I think i might get the "universal" foot I saw at the store and try it out. However, it was only a 1/8 inch hem. Too narrow?

I was thinking something more like a 1/2 inch. ButI guess I might have to take what I can get.
    1/8" is quite narrow. The only thing I have ever used a hem that narrow was on a set of magic silks.

"Universal" when it comes to machine parts and accessories is typically a synonym for "junk". Needle points are ok. But with all the various manufacturers and styles of machines out there I find the claim "universal" for parts and accessories to be laughable. YMMV.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I've sewn for 50 years now, some of it for a living, (I started young, that's my story and I'm sticking to it) and quite truthfully, the various hem attachments I have all have sat in the drawer for decades.

The very narrow 1/8" one is kinda handy for rolled hems on lingerie but I don't think that's what you're working on...

The only other one that I've had much success with is the one that attaches lace at the same time as it turns a 1/4" hem...again not something you'd use.

IIWM, I'd not be looking too, too hard for a 1/2" hem attachment. Your time is better spent on getting stuff done.

YMMV

I've ordered a rolled hem foot. I'll tell you how I get on. Worth a punt at about $5

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    I use swing away hemmers quite a lot actually. If you're just going to hem one or two hammocks they're not worth the setup. If you are going to hem 5+ pieces go for it. For light fabrics like nylon I use a two folder setup. The first folder is a single turn folder about 4 inches in front of the double turn folder. This helps the operator know where to hold the edge of the fabric.

If you want to use a single double turn folder just make sure you're holding your fabric edge far enough to the right of the needle that you maintain the same amount of fabric being folded. If you do not follow that advice you will have lots and lots of wrinkles on your hem. Same goes for rolled hem feet. Put a mark on your machine with masking tape when you find out how far your fabric needs to be to the right of your foot. It really helps if you can hold the fabric with your right hand and start the fold with your left. Always pay attention to where the fabric edge is and keep it in the right spot with your right hand only watching the mark on your machine. If you look at the presser foot or folder when using it you most likely with get the wrong amount of fabric into the folder giving you a very ugly hem.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast