Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Mule,

I can't believe y'all don't have any of the white stuff down there. We were under a blizzard warning yesterday for lake effect. I am glad winter is finally here cuz it sure has been acting like it since thanksgiving. Whew, this one has been brutal thus far. We are under another winter storm watch for tomorrow and wednesday. My daughter is flying home for the holidays, been living in Miami, she is gonna shiver and shake.

I am thinking about hanging tonight, sposed to get to -5 and see how far my homemade patched up stuff will go in the claytor. The wind is sposed to lay, finally, as we had 50 mph gusts yesterday with windchills at -20-30. I was thinking about a paddle yet seems this brutal stuff would be a bit much. Might wait till March when temps are on postive side of teens again.

Have a great holiday. Sure am glad you are enjoying your WB. Got me interested for sure. Days are getting longer. Woo Hoo!
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    It's cold but it's going to let up for a while starting tomorrow. I can't imagine paddling in this kind of weather. I was telling Neo that I am not really even looking forward to paddling next year like before. The last time I went out with a buddy, I found I could hardly get out of the boat, the kayak. I thought for a while I was just going to have to step out in the water or mud and clean up later, my knees hurt so much when I am that low. And a few other things make it hard. Maybe things will get better by Spring.
    Thanks and the best to you and yours too. Merry Christmas.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    BB58, We are in agreement even on the order you choose to list them except 1 and 2 are reversed. Ain't hammockin great? Mule
    It is grand. But you feel the WBBB is flatter than the BMBH? No, you had just said the BMBH is still flattest, so you must be saying side comfort is greater in the BB despite not being as flat?

I felt the main advantage of the BB,as far as side sleeping, was ability to draw my knees up.

I did miss being able to reach out on both sides of the hammock when adjusting quilts and such. And my PeaPod would work a little better if the rt. side wall and net could go all the way down. Of course, I can use something other than the PePod with the BB ( like my WBUQ, for example), but that PeaPod is still number one or dang close to it on my list of sure fire ways to stay warm in extreme cold. Kind of hate to give it up, but tyhere are other ways to get the job done, obviously.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Yes, I agree. Despite the flat lay of the bridge, the WBBB is more comfortable, Not only for sleeping but for living in, reading or music.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

subzero hang

At 3 p.m. yesterday afternoon it was -2 degrees F outside. With wind chill, -25 F. Forecast was to stay below zero until sometime near dawn Monday.

I had just finished up mods to my hammock micro-environment containment device, and was waiting for a chance to take my new DIY underquilt out for a good cold weather spin.

I spent about 45 minutes out in it, during late afternoon. Could not shake the cold-butt syndrome, despite having Mrs. canobie's new best friend in the hammock with me.

Had a Christmas party to attend that evening, and fortified by good cheer, and more importantly, an Exped 7 downmat shortie, I headed back out to hang. Mrs. Grizz was Not Happy about this, never is when I'm not where I'm supposed to be between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. , but particularly when I'm not available to be the warm body implicit in the 2nd law of thermodynamics on nights when she perceives that that law is in her best interests.

Happy to say that I was snug through the night. In particular, no CBS. Below I had my DIY down winter UQ (60" long, a bit over 4" of loft), inside the hammock I had the downmat and a folded over piece of CCF for my feet. Oh yeah, I warmed up the hot water bottle too. On top I had a No Sniveler, on me I had insulated jacket and pants.

The narrow foot bridge is excellent for laying on my back. I turned to my side from time to time, one of the positive side effects of the downmat is that it lifts me up a little, creating more of a gap between me and the sides of the hammock when I'm on my side, so that the overquilt is easily tucked in.

Considering how cold it was, I was really pleased to stay warm...indeed as it warmed some outside I might have overheated some. I had a bit of condensation right over my head on the sock (or the early part of the night the vents there were buttoned up), I should allow for more ventilation.

My kit list for Mt. Rogers and a shake-down outing with Mule is coming into focus.

Grizz

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Looks like you are ready. Thanks for the informative and entertaining report. Mule

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12