Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hanging in deep snow.

Has anyone hung their hammocks in deep snow?

I'm talking 10' or more.

Anything to be concerned about or does it 'just work' ?

The only thing I'm worried about is that if I make a hot tent I will start to melt into the ground :-

One other perk is I can make really solid snow walls and dig in...

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I haven't but it isn't much different from hanging over water. That is, your anchored to the trees or other points, NOT the ground like a tent. If the snow melts or has a cavity that collapses under you, your still anchored up.

Have fun in your intended hang.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    As long as you stomp down the snow underneath very well with skis or snowshoes, it should be the same sleeping above 10' as 10". A heated stove is fine, especially if it's one that has short legs and you set it on a base like an aluminum plate or piece of plywood. It won't melt into the snow in that case.

Once nice part of stomping it down is you can create a bit of a depression right underneath you. That'll pull more cold air further away from you, lets you pull the tarp right down to the snow around the depression while having a bit more room to stand under the tarp (you're standing down in the depression), etc.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    Has anyone hung their hammocks in deep snow?

I'm talking 10' or more.

Anything to be concerned about or does it 'just work' ?

The only thing I'm worried about is that if I make a hot tent I will start to melt into the ground :-

One other perk is I can make really solid snow walls and dig in...
    If you can walk up to the tree to hang your hammock then it doesn't matter how deep the snow is. You may have to pack down the snow or shovel a bit to clear out an area. Regarding the hot tent question, if you put your stove on top of a pan or something it won't sink much into the snow. I use a hot tent as a warming hut and dinning area (don't actually sleep in it). Haven't had much of a problem with snow melt.

I see you are in SF, are you Kevin? Good to see you on Hammock Forums. I work downtown SF.

S

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you can walk up to the tree... On the other hand, there are craters around some trees, which if you fall down into, you might not get out of.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    If you can walk up to the tree... On the other hand, there are craters around some trees, which if you fall down into, you might not get out of.
    Good point. Always important to very carefully watch out for the tree wells. You definitely don't want to fall into one of those head first, especially if you're by yourself.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    This is why I read random posts on here... I live in Texas, never learned about snow, only been in real snow once... Never would have thought about there being a chasm under the snow inside the trees branches... Makes sense, but never thought about it... Thanks...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Images
    In snow that deep you'll want to bring a snow shovel so you can prep the area.
    Anytime I've experienced snow that deep I had to live on my snowshoes or I would post hole.
    The snow was to fluffy to pack down. I usually try to avoid that deep stuff to camp in and look
    for areas where the trees have blocked some of the snow.

Good luck hope to see a TR.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    This is why I read random posts on here... I live in Texas, never learned about snow, only been in real snow once... Never would have thought about there being a chasm under the snow inside the trees branches... Makes sense, but never thought about it... Thanks...
    Depending on the type of tree, "tree wells" can be a concern. "Christmas-tree" shaped trees - evergreens, pines, cedars, etc. are where you need to be more concerned. The shape means that a tree can be hidden, yet create a hole beneath its lower branches.

A few years ago, we woke up to some pretty big snow in Bozeman. Bridger Bowl (the local ski area) had been dumped on. Something like 6-8 feet overnight. Lots of locals got "powder fever" and headed for the mountain. They were warned to not ski alone due to avalanche and tree-well danger. Unfortunately, a man lost his life that day because of a tree well.

Other things to be aware of: Blowing/drifting snow. Snow is *way* heavier than most people assume. Especially the wet snow they get in places like Tahoe or out East. It can easily take down your tarp.

Extreme amounts of snow, like 10 feet, also means potential avalanches. Don't be below a bunch of snow.

Obviously, where there is snow, there is cold. So be prepared for it!
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I too stomp out my area while still on snowshoes. Then I re-walk all the paths I have used.
    I agree with Outandback that a shovel is well worth the carry. Mine is one pound and my hands and gloves stay dry.
    Good camp work.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast