Stability Comparison

Hello,

This is my first time posting (outside the brief intro post I did). I did some searching on this but I haven't found anything on this topic. If there is a thread or threads that answer this then feel free to direct me there.

I'm doing research to make a first hammock. I'm confident enough with my sewing skills to make either one, but I'm short on money while I'm in school so I'd like to just have to make one for a while here.

I know that the gathered end hammocks are much more stable than the stereotypical flat 'rope' hammocks that are on post cards. I've read here and elsewhere that a lower hang helps keep a gathered hammock stable because it lowers the center of gravity.

What I'd like to know is what is the difference is stability between a bridge hammock (such as the GrizzBridge) and a gathered end hammock? How do they differ in high winds as well as for those who move around a lot when they sleep?

Any help is appreciated!

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I know that short of flat rolling out of one you pretty much can't flip a gathered end... I have no experience in bridges so I can't comment there...

Sewing is not necessary to make a hammock... There is a way to make one for less than 20 bucks if you diy it...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=62832
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have both a gathered end (Blackbird) and bridge (RidgeRunner). The gathered end certainly feels more stable, although I've never been concerned about flipping either.

I'm personally not concerned and I move a lot in my sleep - but if it is a possible sticking point for you, go gathered end. Those are near impossible to even feel like you'll fall out of them. They're just different but neither makes me feel like I'll take a spill.

As a note, the bridge really only feels less stable when you're sitting up (and even then, only less compared to blackbird - still doable IMO). When lying down, it's pretty solid. I was out in my RidgeRunner (a bridge hammock) about a month ago at a Colorado Stake Park - on a hammock stand. The winds were gusting around 40 MPH from different directions with no tree or tarp protection (long story there). I was swinging back and forth pretty good and was never once worried that I'd flip (I was slightly worried that the stand might tip...).

Eventually I got out to sleep in my car but that was only because the winds would push my one way, I'd swing that direction and then the winds would blow from the exact opposite direction and stop me in mid-swing, shaking me awake. Only night I've ever had in a hammock that wasn't nice. I didn't mind the swinging - it helped rock me to sleep - it was the sudden shaking stops from opposite direction winds that were the issue.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A gathered end hammock is much more stable than a bridge or one with a spreader bar. Part of the reason is the 30% sag on the gathered end, which gives you the best diagonal or asymmetrical hang.

You can actually get the components almost cheaper than you can make one. Go to the Tablecloth Factory and buy the taffeta fabric (like Dream Hammock uses) with the edges already sewn. The longer the hammock (IMHO), the better you'll hang:
    http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ta...shes-s/132.htm

Whip the ends and put on a couple of whoopies and you're ready to hang! Do a search on Tablecloth hammocks on the forum for more details.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I disagree. I think a gathered end FEELS more stable But you wont flip in a bridge. Kind of like a kayak, feels tippy but is very stable.. I was in a bridge hanging half out the side. One arm and one leg actually out as I was lying on my stomach and was still unable to make it flip.

• + New Posts