I've recently had a transfer to another dept at work and after the new year I'll have every weekend off. This is great because my wife and I have mostly had conflicting schedules and now will have the opportunity to do some camping together.
So my question is, does anybody out there know of some good places to hang in Northern California? Summer and winter.
I live about 10 miles west of Sacramento.
Looking to hopefully drive less than 2-3 hours.
I don't have the gear for both of us to do much of any cold weather camping yet.
She prefers car camping and day hiking. Although she is not opposed to packing in a short hike to a developed site and day hiking from there. I myself love to hike and just camp off trail and don't mind high mileage days.

Also, I do enjoy learning about the history of the particular places I hike and camp. I know California has a very rich settler, mining and Native American history. So anything you guys might know about these particular places I would be very interested to hear about that as well.

I didn't see too many northern cali hangers listed on the HF google map but I know you're out there...