Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    straps
    A Napa/NorCal Hang Sounds like fun. I did a first hang at the Solano Campgrounds with Gary the Saturday after Thanksgiving and had a great time. I'm out of shape and new to hiking so I'm up for a short hike in and then camp. The area above the lake looks very dry and barren. What is it like to hike and camp in? Any water sources?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomeBuddy View Post
    A Napa/NorCal Hang Sounds like fun. I did a first hang at the Solano Campgrounds with Gary the Saturday after Thanksgiving and had a great time. I'm out of shape and new to hiking so I'm up for a short hike in and then camp. The area above the lake looks very dry and barren. What is it like to hike and camp in? Any water sources?
    Water can be scarce depending on where exactly you decide to camp. Signage at the trail heads state that dispersed camping is allowed 1/4 mile off the road. You can bring a couple gallon jugs of water and leave them in your car while you set up camp and return for them as needed. There are also seasonal streams that flow in the winter time.

Here's a couple of my favorite pics I've taken out there.

First one is cold canyon loop trail, south of the dam. Hills are especially green in the spring months.

Second one is my favorite hang spot in my immediate area, pic taken whilst sitting in my hammock just after sunrise.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    So what do you think of a meet up in the next couple weekends? I've just changed positions at work and will now have my weekends off I did a sleeping bag to underquilt mod last week and I'm itching to test it out outside! So I'll be going regardless If you're interested let me know PM or reply or whatever and I'll post or PM you directions and a map of how to get there.
    And by the way, what do you think of lake solano? I've got some in-laws that live on the lake there.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DANGLER View Post
    I've recently had a transfer to another dept at work and after the new year I'll have every weekend off. This is great because my wife and I have mostly had conflicting schedules and now will have the opportunity to do some camping together.
    So my question is, does anybody out there know of some good places to hang in Northern California? Summer and winter.
    I live about 10 miles west of Sacramento.
    Looking to hopefully drive less than 2-3 hours.
    I don't have the gear for both of us to do much of any cold weather camping yet.
    She prefers car camping and day hiking. Although she is not opposed to packing in a short hike to a developed site and day hiking from there. I myself love to hike and just camp off trail and don't mind high mileage days.

Also, I do enjoy learning about the history of the particular places I hike and camp. I know California has a very rich settler, mining and Native American history. So anything you guys might know about these particular places I would be very interested to hear about that as well.

I didn't see too many northern cali hangers listed on the HF google map but I know you're out there...
    Hi Dangler: I live up hiway 80 past Auburn almost into Colfax. To get to one of my favorite places I go up the 80 and turn back on the 20. Turn right on Bowman lake road and go in about 8 miles. You can turn right on one of the dirt roads to either Grouse Ridge or Carr/Feeley lakes. It may be snowed in by now but I've been able to park off the side of the road before Fuller lake and snow hike in towards Lake Spaulding.

Here's a video of the Carr/Feeley lake area this past summer.

If you continue up hiway 80 you can stop at Boreal and hike the PCT north or south.

Also, check a map and follow hiway 49 from Grass Valley up towards Downieville and Sierra City. The PCT goes right through there as well.

Right now the Tahoe Rim trail is snowed in but there's great info with nice maps here http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/ That's an awesome place to go in the late spring through about November.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB View Post
    Hi Dangler: I live up hiway 80 past Auburn almost into Colfax. To get to one of my favorite places I go up the 80 and turn back on the 20. Turn right on Bowman lake road and go in about 8 miles. You can turn right on one of the dirt roads to either Grouse Ridge or Carr/Feeley lakes. It may be snowed in by now but I've been able to park off the side of the road before Fuller lake and snow hike in towards Lake Spaulding.

Right now the Tahoe Rim trail is snowed in but there's great info with nice maps here http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/ That's an awesome place to go in the late spring through about November.
    GregB, Thanks for sharing your great video of Carr/Feeley lakes! It is a trip to aim for this summer.

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    Excellent, I didn't know I had a forum member so close by
    I'm next door...Davis. During this time of year I go snow camping in Tahoe area. 6* was the lowest. I would also look at Henry Coe State Park. Never thought about Solano Park...are there trees to hang from?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    straps
    Solano has trees, some are big'uns they vary from site to site so drive around and pick the ones you like. Have you been hanging at Henry Coe?

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    I didn't use a hammock out there yet, but I heard there are trees out there. Don't remember exactly, but I heard Mahoney meadows comming up from Los Cuseros and then taking the lost spring trail has good trees.

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Excellent, I didn't know I had a forum member so close by
    I've done a fair amount of camping around Lake Berreyessa, beautiful countryside over there If you drive Berreyessa Knoxville road between Clear Lake and Lake Berreyessa you will find a lot of hiking trails and open camping on all the BLM land in between.

+1 on the north coast! A few years ago I went to the Lost Coast in January. Fantastic trip, We had the whole campground to ourselves and the weather was perfect during the daytime. However, strong storms blew in every night. Even collapsing our tent one night(wish I was a hanger back then)

I can agree with that. The temps I would feel comfortable sleeping at would probably be mid thirties. My wife, however is a cold sleeper and she doesn't have as much insulating gear as I do, she could handle overnight lows around 45-50 degrees. Other than that, we can handle rain and we have good tarps/rain jackets.

I've found that on the coast it can rain even under the canopy! Hanging at point reyes a very foggy morning led to a steady drip most of the day from all the condensation on the trees.
    Also, what good is a non-functional tarp?

The trails around Castle Peak are great and offer many beautiful vistas. Although last time I was up there I took a wrong turn(Donner Loop trail signs and PCT signs look very similar when you're rushing your way down the trail trying to get to lost lake before sundown) By the time I realized my error it was nearly dusk and I decided to continue on rather than backtrack. Found a great spot though at the end of that trail. Just south of castle peak on the end of a small ridge. Anyways, about 1:30 am, I'm about to put out my campfire and head to my hennessey when I look over and not more than 5 feet away is a mountain lion standing there looking at me! Long story short I hit both the mtn lion and myself with my bear spray and luckily it ran off. I stayed up all night keeping the fire going and remaining vigilant. I come to find out when I get back to the trailhead in the morning that there supposedly is a lions den on the small outcropping just south of castle peak. Have you ever heard of this? the guy I was talking to said that there were probably 4 or 5 of them up there with me
    This is another reason I posted this thread, because I haven't been out camping since and I'm looking for some inspiration and motivation to get back out there.

I've been fishing in Wrights lake and Dark lake up near desolation but never hung in that area. Hung out in D.L. Bliss state park on the west side of lake tahoe. The moon was so close and big it seemed as though you could reach out and grab it! I'm loving northern ca! I grew up in Minnesota and have a great passion for the outdoors. I have always hiked, camped, fished as long as I can remember. I just discovered hammock camping a few years ago when researching lightweight solo shelters for a trip to Yosemite. [First time you see that tunnel view down Yosemite valley]=MIND BLOWN!
    Dangler, im looking into a hiking the southern part of the Lost Coast in a few weeks. It sounds like you hiked it before. Im trying to get info about the possibility of hammocking there? are there much trees? im hoping someone out there has more info on this. thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Boggs Mountain Demonstration State Forest is nice. Lake County. Drive and dump your stuff. Many fine trees.

And there's a hang there the first week of April this year. Link to trip planning thread in my sig.
    -Liz -

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast