Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

A few problems to solve for a previous hammocking wanting to return.

Hi All,

A few years ago I started backpacking again and bought a WBBB and a MambaJamba. I absolutely loved most everything about hammocking. I especially love the increased sites available, being able to comfortably sit after hiking all day, and all the room. I am very interested in buying the exact same setup since going to the ground just isn't fun or comfortable.

I've done some searches but haven't found any answers to my problems.

However, I had a few problems that made me go to the ground.

1. The main reason I quit was because of back pain. Annoying, wanting to pull out my hair in the middle of the night pain. For some reason, I have to stretch out my back a few times during the night by laying on my stomach. The hammock seemed to make this worse because of its slight bend while laying on my back. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions? I know the obvious is to go to a bridge-style but I don't think I would like that design.

2. My neck has to be flat or slightly tilted backward to feel comfortable. Again the slight tilt of the hammock makes this hard to achieve. I've tried a variety of pillow designs but never solved this either although this isn't as bad as number 1.

3. I had the yeti underquilt and it was really nice except that everytime I shifted I would have to readjust it. That doesn't sound bad except I shift without waking up. Without adjusting it I get a cold spot and I fully wake up which makes it hard to go back to sleep.

What I'd like to re-try is using a pad. It was plenty warm but I had problems with sweating. Has anyone solved the condensation issue with pads?

Thanks for any help and I hope I don't sound like too much of a wuss.
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

Actually I think a bridge hammock, with one of those airplane neck pillows sounds like it would fix most if not all your issues.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Before I switched to UQs I used a WallyWorld foam pad (the waffle pattern version, not the smooth) and never had a problem with condensation in my BB double layer.

I found using triangle thingies help to keep my UQs from shifting too much. I bought some Dutch Quilt hooks that can be used to also help keep the UQ from shifting. I don't know if you can keep a UQ from never shifting but if mine does I just reach under and pull it back into place, instant warmth and back to sleep.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    I agree with Cranky Bear. A bridge hammock would most assuredly solve your problems. Pitch the foot end slightly higher, add a nice light weight pillow, and you're good to go!

MY JRB UL bridge is an absolutely flat lay. UQ's fit snug and perfect and do not need adjusting once in place. I can achieve this with a gathered end hammock, but the bridge takes all the learning curve out of play and makes it easy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Before I switched to UQs I used a WallyWorld foam pad (the waffle pattern version, not the smooth) and never had a problem with condensation in my BB double layer.

I found using triangle thingies help to keep my UQs from shifting too much. I bought some Dutch Quilt hooks that can be used to also help keep the UQ from shifting. I don't know if you can keep a UQ from never shifting but if mine does I just reach under and pull it back into place, instant warmth and back to sleep.
    I forgot about the patterned foam. Thanks for reminding me. I have a ridgerest that I bought to use on the ground and I bet that would really help with condensation. I've always used the black upholstery type foam. I could add a horizontal strip to the ridgerest to cover my shoulders.

I just don't think I would like a bridge from talking to people. Over half the night I sleep in the fetal position. I'm thinking maybe lay on the ground before I go to bed to get stretched out.

Thanks for the replies!
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post

What are "triangle thingies"?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It does indeed sound like you are a good candidate for a bridge hammock.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

You can sleep in the fetal position in a bridge, may be slightly tighter in the JRB, but from what I can tell on the Warbonnet RR this may be alleviated by the shallower design, but this is only speculation. I can say for a fact that I can sleep (or lay comfortably) in "Any" position in my GrizzBridge.

If there is anyone near you that has one or both I would say try it first before writing it off as it would be a shame if you could get more comfort and get rid of the problem in a different design but didn't try it first.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Knotty DIY, WBRR
    Tarp
    OES, camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighlo 66
    Suspension
    Whoopies, webbing
    Before you write them off, please try a bridge. A friend, who wasn't a big fan of gathered end hammocks, tried the Ridge Runner and said it was like a floating bed. There are several DIY bridge hammock variants which might work for you. If nothing works though it is still great to have you out enjoying the outdoor life. I still use a tent when it's the best tool

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH

Triangle thingies

Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast