Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    I had totally reasoned my way out of buying a Lynx and sticking with general purpose UQ's, but you guys have swayed me. Especially since I finally setup my RR for the first time today. Now the question is 20° full length+pad or 0° full length for mostly fall/winter use? Have a Spindrift already on the way too.
    Nice! Every time someone buys a Lynx, an angel gets its wings.

The spindrift is also great. My only complaint on that particular piece of gear is that it takes some time to take on/off (you really want to take about 15 minutes and do it inside at home) so it works best to put it on for the whole winter season. Not a big thing, but it takes away just a bit of the flexibility of using it.

It'll bring you right down to around 20*, so if you camp just a few times a year below that, it's probably worth going with the 20 and supplementing. That way, you save weight/space for all the other trips about 20. If you winter hang often, though, the 0* is worth it.

Personally, I went with the 20* as I only camp a few times in winter - and I have the Spindrift, which adds 10-15* of warmth to the setup. I like having the flexibility of adding pieces to the system instead of having an overly heavy piece I need to carry in the summer. The lighter weight of the 20* lynx is another reason I really like it - it's still full length but I save nearly 10 oz compared to my Incubator. That just about offsets the weight of the poles, making it nearly comparable to the carry weight of my Blackbird/gathered end setup.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    I went with the 20deg and a z-lite pad and have been down pretty cold. I've got a spindrift on the way, and suspect I should be able to get down to about -20c with this setup. That being said, if I stumbled over some extra $$$, I could see a winter full length lynx making its way to me.

Cheers

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'm interested to see what your opinion is (OP) after trying it out. I've not had good luck on my stomach in the RR. It seems to have more of a give in the butt area than does the JRB-BM. Enough of a dip that I seem to get a little hyperextension. I've found this to be true with a fully inflated pad as well.

That said, I sleep plenty well in it. I think I only tried to get on my stomach because its what I'm so used to at home, not because I really needed to in the hammock.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    I went with the 20deg and a z-lite pad and have been down pretty cold. I've got a spindrift on the way, and suspect I should be able to get down to about -20c with this setup. That being said, if I stumbled over some extra $$$, I could see a winter full length lynx making its way to me.

Cheers
    Callahan, do you have condensation between the z-lite and you? I use a wally pad and an Army CCF sandwiched and have been very warm down to the teens, but that dang condensation between the bag and the pads is a hassle. I got to hang my bag in the sun on a bush to dry it out everyday. Without doing that, and it'll be soaked in a few days.

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    Callahan, do you have condensation between the z-lite and you? I use a wally pad and an Army CCF sandwiched and have been very warm down to the teens, but that dang condensation between the bag and the pads is a hassle. I got to hang my bag in the sun on a bush to dry it out everyday. Without doing that, and it'll be soaked in a few days.
    Because of the z-lite's egg-crate design, I find that condensation drops down into the holes. I carefully remove the z-lite out between the double layers when I remove it, and if there is any condensation, it comes out with the pad, rather than building up between the hammock body and pad. Seems to keep everything nice and dry. That being said, the RR is the only hammock that I like using the z-lite with as it tends to fold up in a gathered end. In the RR, it stays exactly where I put it.

Cheers

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Thank you Callahan, and I agree, the pads don't move in a RR pocket. You and breyman (and the rest of the RR gang) now have me looking around for something to sell so I can buy a lynx.

The RR bug has bit me pretty hard, I've got 2, one with a bug net and one w/o that I got for $100 when he had them on sale.

Funny thing, I got the WL Snipe first. Very quality hammock, but sometimes I got the dreaded knee pain at night, which is why I went to the RR. In the RR, of course I've got no pain at all anywhere, ever. So lately, I've been trying to duplicate the exquisite lay I get in the RR to the snipe, the RR has educated me to how a hammock should feel. And guess what, I'm getting kind of close, to where I can be in the snipe for hours and have no pain. This is new to me and I'm pretty amped.

Go figure, the RR is teaching me to appreciate my snipe! This hammock thing is an education in itself, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    Thank you Callahan, and I agree, the pads don't move in a RR pocket. You and breyman (and the rest of the RR gang) now have me looking around for something to sell so I can buy a lynx.
    My experience with the pad is a bit different. I woke up one morning with an exped UL7 hanging halfway out of the pocket. It was a regular size pad and not a large so that might have had something to do with it. It's also a fairly slippery one.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

RR pocket

Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    My experience with the pad is a bit different. I woke up one morning with an exped UL7 hanging halfway out of the pocket. It was a regular size pad and not a large so that might have had something to do with it. It's also a fairly slippery one.
    Yeah, you know its way wider at the head end and that gives it room to slide if its inclined to. I have a very slippery Kooka Bay downmat and its not been much of an issue.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    Bridge hammocks tend to be more comforortable personally I like the gatherer end for its awesome stability. But I do plan on some day purchasing one of those ridge runners some day. Congrats on your purchase I have never ever seen an angry warbonnet customer. They all tend to be happy and keep the cash flow going.
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The Cool-aid is pretty good, isn't it ferret?
    Tell me about it! I just wish there werent so many flavors!

Thanks all for the info in this thread. Goin with the 20 full length and adding a pad or maybe stacking my phoenix for the really cold temps. Another one bites the dust.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast