Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

NX150 or NX250?

I am sorry if this has been covered ad nauseam. I am 5'11" and weigh 180 lbs. According to the Clark Comfort chart, the NX150 seems like a no brainer; cheaper, less bulk, and 5 oz lighter. But is there extra room and firmness with the NX250 for someone my size that could increase comfort on cold rainy Northwest nights to justify the cost, bulk, and weight difference?

Also, do the NXx50 package costs include the drip rings and tarp tie out cords or are they "nickel & dime ya" add-ons?

Thanks for your guidance.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Not so easy as it may seem:

At 10lb less than your weight and 4" less height, I find the 8' models, which included the NX150, plenty long and comfortable. I'm an every (dry) night hanger, too. The NX250 is more than I need, especially after weight loss.

OTOH, if you intend to use the pockets for insulating pads, especially your own, be aware that on the NX150 the total width of the 3 pockets pockets adds up to much less than the 46-48" length on the NX250, which is the size of a typical fractional UQ.

Note that Clark has a third size hammock body,intermediate in length between the 8' and 9' models. The Tropical and (cheapest) "Ultra-Light" now share that 8.5' length with the North American.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Not so easy as it may seem:
    At 10lb less than your weight and 4" less height, I find the 8' models, which included the NX150, plenty long and comfortable. I'm an every (dry) night hanger, too. The NX250 is more than I need, especially after weight loss.
    OTOH, if you intend to use the pockets for insulating pads, especially your own, be aware that on the NX150 the total width of the 3 pockets pockets adds up to much less than the 46-48" length on the NX250, which is the size of a typical fractional UQ.
    Note that Clark has a third size hammock body,intermediate in length between the 8' and 9' models. The... 8.5' length with the North American.
    More choices is just what a guy with analysis paralysis needs ... are there reasons to consider North American over the NX series besides the lower cost?

I get what you are saying about the combined width of the NX250 pockets providing a greater area of warmth if using the pockets (instead of an UQ) to hold insulation. I'm thinking of trying to build a DIY UQ from an old but good fiberfill sleeping bag but does the NX150 combined pocket width adequately cover the torso and buttocks of someone 5'11"?
    Brian

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    HammockGear 40*UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    On the website the North American sounds to be the more all around hammock, although I have the NX-200, which is a tall model of the north american, it is pretty much the NX-250's size with no bars, but the "all aroundyness" that they claim the North American has, with that out there, I am 6'6'' and I fit just fine, with the pockets covering my back and buttocks. When I ordered mine it came with drip rings and the tarp tie outs.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I had the North American and the NX-250 and I liked the NX-250 much better. It has so much more room to move around, and I'm 5' 10". I also liked the bars to open it up. That is just my $.02, hope it helps.
    "No whining in the woods"

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblique Angler View Post
    More choices is just what a guy with analysis paralysis needs ... are there reasons to consider North American over the NX series besides the lower cost?

I get what you are saying about the combined width of the NX250 pockets providing a greater area of warmth if using the pockets (instead of an UQ) to hold insulation. I'm thinking of trying to build a DIY UQ from an old but good fiberfill sleeping bag but does the NX150 combined pocket width adequately cover the torso and buttocks of someone 5'11"?
    On the first: I too obliquely suggested Clark might be closing out smaller sizes, so there might be a deal to be had on a "floor model."
    On the second: keikepono doesn't disagree with me about pocket coverage. but, the bar-less NX-200 likely has the same 46-48" overall pocket length as the NX-250.

On BajaHanger: Who doesn't like the luxury of a queen-size mattress? Despite the fact that the slender spreader bars do not create more room, they open the unoccupied space to the eye. That's why I had 2qzq create fabric guides for rods for two 8' rod-less Clarks here, the old Tropical 2 and the old UL, making them much like NX-150's.

Last note about size: Clark uses the same-size stuff sack for all their (single occupant) hammocks. So, weight aside, there's a visible difference in minimum packed size between the lighter and heavier models, which in practice means there's more room to stuff a 20F down UQ in with the smaller models.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 01-25-2013 at 02:23.

I'm in a NX250, love it and the roominess inside. For myself, I can't find any justification for down sizing. I do use mine on a nightly basis.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    I'm in a NX250, love it and the roominess inside. For myself, I can't find any justification for down sizing. I do use mine on a nightly basis.
    May I ask what your height and weight is?
    Brian

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    I had the North American and the NX-250 and I liked the NX-250 much better. It has so much more room to move around, and I'm 5' 10". I also liked the bars to open it up. That is just my $.02, hope it helps.
    May I ask what your height and weight is?
    Brian

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I have a NX150 and a NX200 (same as the NX250, but without the poles - they no longer sell it). I'm 5' 6" tall and about 195 lbs. I find the longer, but heavier, NX200 much more comfortable. But, if I were to carry a Clark on an AT hike, I'd probably go with the lighter weight NX150. It's still very comfortable, just not as comfy as the longer NX200.

• + New Posts