Clark Flex 180
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Exped Downmat 9
    Suspension
    Clark

Flex 180 Hang Technique

I was recently looking for a simple way to hang my Flex 180 when only a single tree was available at the foot end. I still wanted to maintain the full width of
    the foot and support the hammock's right corner.

As you can see from the photos, the left corner suspension line is tied normally to a strap on the single tree. A short length of proper strength cord is tied to a second strap wrapped above the first. A climber's rappel ring is postioned/tied off at the opposite end of the cord directly back from the right corner. The smaller diameter right corner suspension line is run through the rappel ring
    and brought back diagonally a distance away. The line is tensioned to raise the right corner to the desired height, then staked out. I used a 9 inch clunky v-stake in softish ground. It held my 230 lbs in the hammock w/o pulling out.
    A 7 inch MSR Groundhog stake failed to hold on an earlier attempt.

The right corner of the Flex is fully supported and won't rotate using this technique, which also works when a second tree is available at the foot at an other than optimal distance.

Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Smart thinking... Good use of leverage and angles to get what you wanted when you don't have what you needed..
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Clark Flex 180
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Exped Downmat 9
    Suspension
    Clark

Flex 180 hang technique

Thanks, Brute. It worked out well and I didn't even lose much hair scratching
    my head trying to figure it out - a dead giveaway that many other people had
    it figured out before me!

Tony

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Hey Pataneap, I replied to your email but will post here as well. If it were my hammock, I'd probably make a couple of short pieces of line with a loop in each end and a descending ring made into one loop on each line. I'd larks head the ends without the rings onto the hammock. When hanging with two trees, I'd attach a whoopie sling to each ring with a larks head and connect each to a tree hugger. When hanging with one tree, I'd place one whoopie sling onto the two rings combined with a larks head and place a spreader pole between the two foot connection points on the hammock. That would make sure to maximize the room on the foot end when hanging with one tree on that end. There are probably lots of other ways to hang with one tree but the above is simple and flexible.

Hammock
    Clark Flex 180
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Exped Downmat 9
    Suspension
    Clark

Flex 180 hang technique

Hi SmokeBait,
    I'm still new to hammocking and haven't looked at whoopies yet but may at some point. They look interesting and seem to be very popular.

When using a single tree at the foot end of the Flex, I want to eliminate rotation of the hammock as much as possible. Next time I get out, I plan on trying Keith Hubble's technique using the spreader bar and running a line from the base of the tree to the drip ring in front of each end of the spreaderbar. The line would wrap around the base of the tree and would be tied off at each ring, providing support at both corners at the Flex's foot. Using the spreader bar without the support allows too much rotation for my taste.

Tony

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pataneap View Post
    Hi SmokeBait,
    I'm still new to hammocking and haven't looked at whoopies yet but may at some point. They look interesting and seem to be very popular.

When using a single tree at the foot end of the Flex, I want to eliminate rotation of the hammock as much as possible. Next time I get out, I plan on trying Keith Hubble's technique using the spreader bar and running a line from the base of the tree to the drip ring in front of each end of the spreaderbar. The line would wrap around the base of the tree and would be tied off at each ring, providing support at both corners at the Flex's foot. Using the spreader bar without the support allows too much rotation for my taste.

Tony
    I hear ya on the rotation. Tell me, is it more prominent on the foot end or are both ends about the same? What about some side timeouts similar to use on Hennessy or WBBB hammocks? Elastic cord from side down to a tent stake.
    Just a thought...

Hammock
    Clark Flex 180
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Exped Downmat 9
    Suspension
    Clark

Re: Flex 180 Hang Technique

Hi SmokeBait,
    The free axial rotation is only at the foot end, which has a gather at each corner. There is a single gathered end at the head. There are no side tie out points on the Flex. One could certainly tie small lines to the suspension lines where they tie in to the hammock body and run them to stakes on the ground.
    Thanks for your suggestion.

Tony

• + New Posts