WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz

AT Approach Trail and Springer Mtn, Dec 21

Just got back from an overnighter to Springer Mtn. Yesterday's high was about 45 F and the low last night was somewhere below 15 F at 4:30 am. Winds gusting between 15 and 45 mph all night. I'm guesing the low this morning was closer to 10 F or 11 F.
    My oldest son is home from USMA on Christmas leave and wanted a "winter" hike. We got one! You would think he might want to stay with the warm south GA weather for a while, especially since it will be much colder when he goes back.

Here are the sordid details of the "hanging". I hung and swung, he and a friend did the ground thing. I used my HH ULBA with a JRB Nest UQ and a 20 degree bag as an OQ and my BA Air Core (deflated) inside a cotton mummy liner as a vapor barrier. Covered the package with a 8' x 10' silnylon tarp. Did not tie out the HH sides thinking this would allow me to fit lower into the UQ.

Lessons re-learned: Did not take time to make a good check of my setup for angle and heights of suspension line - blamed this on the winds blowing everything around and the 35 degrees at setup. I slid downhill all night.

1) check head and foot height by lying there for a bit to see if you slide around. Duh! The "old" laser-level eye trick don't work too good on hilly ground. "Missed by just ---- that much".
    2) BA Air Core inside a cotton mummy liner as a vapor barrier. Refer to 1) above to prevent sliding. Result - cold spots under shoulders and neck. Third trip to water the trees finally solved the barrier problem at 0630. Otherwise the BA worked fine as a vapor barrier and helped the bottom insulation.
    3) UQ kept sliding to one side, even with foot box omnitaped above the HH suspension line and tied off per JRB directions. Lesson - Tie off UQ to hammock sides using HH tie outs to stabilze UQ side movement.
    4) Tied tarp at a lower level than usual to try and cut wind effects. Wrong move! High wind gusts pushed tarp against hammock all night - from both sides. Did not lose any stakes or rock tie-offs. Lesson - stay with your normal setup and I need a "larger tarp" for my winter ops. Talked with Brian at OES about a Spinntex catcut 10' x 11' already.
    5) Taking down stuff at 10 or 11 degrees is really nasty, especially with the wind still blowing. Fingers freeze in short order. Lesson - take the right gloves for the temps expected.

Otherwise, a great trip up the falls, over the hills, and down the road to grandmothers house we went. Mountains were beautiful and skies were crystal blue
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice report there Rockdawg69 ..... I enjoy hearing about those cold weather hangs! The only way to learn this stuff is to do it and experience what works, what doesn't and what to do different next time.
    Always a good reason to get out huh?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    How go the blizzards in your world?

Any reason to get outa town is a good reason.

Learning a lot as I go with this hanging thing. I also found that the JRB Nest seems to be too short as it does not close up really well on one end or the other. Seems to pull away from the head as I push my feet into the footpocket. Reckon I'll look for something with a little more coverage if I'm going to do cold weather hangs. I kind of think a good limit for the system I had out this past weekend would be around mid to high 20's. A larger tarp that i can close in around the hammock should also make for some more comfort.

Keep on hanging
    Rockdawg69

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    How go the blizzards in your world?

Any reason to get outa town is a good reason.

Learning a lot as I go with this hanging thing. I also found that the JRB Nest seems to be too short as it does not close up really well on one end or the other. Seems to pull away from the head as I push my feet into the footpocket. Reckon I'll look for something with a little more coverage if I'm going to do cold weather hangs. I kind of think a good limit for the system I had out this past weekend would be around mid to high 20's. A larger tarp that i can close in around the hammock should also make for some more comfort.

Keep on hanging
    Around freezing is most people's comfort range with the Nest, add a pad under your butt/feet. Or just use a full length pad with an SPE in addition to the Nest.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Had the BA Air Core (deflated with a mummy liner covering) under me but it kept slipping down. Wrong hang angle. it worked great when I had it in place.
    Rockdawg69

• + New Posts