Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images

cheap bottom insulation for Hennessey

so a friend of mine was gifted an Expedition, (bottom entry), and he wants to try winter camping a bit. I don't know much about HH systems so i'm hear to get the info from the HH wise ones. He's looking for the easiest and cheapest way to get into the high 20's, low 30's. I know he doesn't want to spend $$ for the super shelter etc. I suggested just throwing a couple of ccf pads inside but honestly don't know how well that works for HH .

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have HH bottom entry and am using Walmart Blue CFF with no issues at all. Once I finishing sewing up the holder so I can have wings on it, I have no doubt about it getting to at least mid 30's. Of course that says I have a decent top quilt and something to go under my feet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I have HH bottom entry and am using Walmart Blue CFF with no issues at all. Once I finishing sewing up the holder so I can have wings on it, I have no doubt about it getting to at least mid 30's. Of course that says I have a decent top quilt and something to go under my feet.
    Thanks DK; good to hear ccf works. That's probably the route he'll go,,,not sure how serious he is,,,,time will tell.

bill

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I made us pads that were shaped the same as the HH double bubble reflector pad. Picked up a "yoga" mat and cut two pads out of it. they are full length, about 30" at the head and taper to about 18 - 19" at the foot end. 5/16 ccf and the reflectix layer will easily take you down below 20*. you will want to be inside your sleeping bag as opposed to using it like a topquilt.
    I found that with pads the sleeping bag works better zipped up around you. My wife put her pads inside the bag and it worked for her...never tried that myself.

Cheap and pretty light. Two layers of the ccf and the reflectix took me to -26* C with a -20 bag and midweight fleece shirt and pants. Needed two layers of wool socks.

Oh that was in a HH Expedition zip.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux Asym
    Insulation
    Windshiedeflectors
    I have used: a self inflating thermarest pad inside a fleece bag liner; a thermarest CCF pad; a windshield sun reflector with a piece of fleece sewn on top -- all in a HH hamock, but only one at a time.

Have never used any of them in extreme cold in a HH, but have used them in tent in winter weather.

I've used a ThermaRest and a TNF Cat's Meow down to the mid-upper 30's in a HH classic entry(bottom) and was almost too warm, not warm enough to vent, but warm enough that it could have gotten colder and still been fine
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Dutch hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    HG Underquilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    My first trial with a HH was with a mylar space blanket, self inflating thermarest pad and a 30 degree synthetic sleeping bag used as a topquilt cover. had mylar between hammock and pad. Described myself as "toasty". The temps at night ranged from high teens to below freezing. Woke up New years Day to a couple inches of lite snow, locked behind a snow gate.

My second cold weather trial 2 months later, was with a 3/16 30inch wide closed cell foam yoga pad and a silver bubble wrap car screen, still frost on the ground in the morning. described myself as "comfy"

My tip for a new Hennessy Hammock.

Grab some lint from the dryer to use on velcro opening. It's hard to open, when brand new.

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    I think you are on the right track either blue pad or thermarest! You may want to accompany one of these choices with a equal length of Reflectives! I use Duct tape to border the edges of the piece and the tape keeps the piece from fraying and sliding!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Thanks for all the tips everyone. He's going to go with the CCF and i'm going to help him make an SPE,,,,he'll probably p/u a windshield visor as well.

bill

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    With the bottom entry I think you will find cutting the pad down to torso length is a good idea. Take a separate sit pad for feet. That lets the pad clear the slit with less hassle. In i about shoulder to knee that also comes out as kneeling pad in canoe. ;-) I made my pad cover with nylon on the back and polarfleece on the top. Never had an issue with clammy feelings on the pad. I think that is because any condensation is under the fleece. That one is not a SPE so always had a problem with cold sides. It will be if I ever go back to using it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast