Ok, so I've decided to make my first silnylon tarp.

This will be the first tarp I have for my hammock setup. I am a gram weenie (which mean's I'll be adding a 'summer' tarp to the collection as soon as I can afford to) but . . . in the meantime, how big should I make my first tarp?

I'm using an Eno Dbl that I'll be modifying by replacing the beener's and heavy rope with Srgt. Rock's UCR's and continuous loops, so it's less than 10' long, and will likely hang with a ridge line length around 8'.

I live in Georgia, and camp mostly during the spring, summer, and fall months. I do have an annual trip in January that I make.

I expect most of the time I'll be looking at night time lows in the 40's with a few dipping down as low as the 20's. The wind in Georgia doesn't blow a lot, but having the ability to block it when it does would be nice.

Given these expected weather conditions, and an expected ridge line of around 8' for my hammock, how big would you make a hex cat cut tarp?

12' x 10'? 10' x 10'? 10' x 8'? Smaller? Bigger? Would you include doors? It will need to be good for three seasons, with the occasional winter trip (seriously, think once a year tops to start) as this is my first tarp. I'll add a dedicated summer and winter tarp later, when funding permits.

Next, what fabric would you get and where? Would you get 2nd's or 1st's? What are your thoughts behind this choice?

Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to your advice.