Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchStuf

Hanging in Missouri?

I have a dual purpose for this thread.

1) Has anyone ever made an overnight run in and out on the Riparian Trail at Pershing State Park? http://mostateparks.com/park/pershing-state-park

If so how was hanging near the river on that trail? Any thoughts and or suggestions?

I am looking for an over night Hang location with only about 2 hours in and 2 hours out / 4 hour loop. This park is only about 1 1/2 hours from Kansas City. I am open to suggestions on other Parks 1-3 hours Maybe 4 from Kansas City in any Direction. Just want to make sure there is decent water source near by in places along the trail.

2) Suggestions on a Good Missouri 2-3+ Day Hike. In and out or a Loop would be better. I have not done anything on the Current River Section and was considering that.

What is your Favorite Missouri Trail?
    Hoot's YouTube Channel - Please Subscribe!

Hoot's Facebook Page - Visit it and give it a Like!

Hammock
    DIY double table cloth
    Tarp
    DIY with ridgeline
    Insulation
    Poncho liner DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY
    Images
    I'm too far south to help. Lots of great places down here, but not convenient for you. I never have trouble finding two trees in the woods. Happy Hanging. Merry Christmas.
    Hanging in the Ozarks

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    ive never hung on your side of the state,but if you dont mind the drive anything in the mark twain national forest is great .check out bell mountain.3 forum members are doing 37 miles of the ozark trail this weekend,you are welcome to join in.you could car pool with me from columbia.also check out the katy trail,it runs along the missouri river,the west end is close to you.
    Last edited by hairbear; 12-19-2012 at 05:15.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    South of Jeff City is Ceder Creek Trail. It is great for hanging and with loops and easy in and outs.

My SO is from Macon, about another 1/2 hours east of Pershing. I never even knew of this place so I will have to check it out. Maybe the next time we go out to Macon I will head out for a night on the trail.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    We just did a KC Area Hang just west of Lawrence at Clinton Lake (Woodridge Primitive Use Area) a couple of weeks ago. That's an area you can at least camp/hang at for free that's still in the general area. They've got a 4.5 mile trail that you can hike/camp on...not much distance, but a pretty hike.

There are a few other parks on the east side of KS that might warrant some checking out as well.

I'll take a look at the park you've suggested and provided a link to...never been there, but might be worth trying.

If you're interested in a get together here in the area, there's a few folks that have also been talking about doing a Jan/Feb hang again possibly.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images

Ozark Trail trip planner

This is a pretty cool website for all things Ozark Trail. Here is a link to a trip planner, where you can input your hiking preferences and they will suggest portions of the trail for you to use. This might be pushing your limits for distance away from home though.

http://www.ozarktrail.com/planner/index.php

Hammock
    DIY Gathered & Whipped/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings Duh
    I'm in Springfield and we have a couple of areas that provide a great hang but not the best for putting on miles. If you find a spot close to both of us let me know and I'll join ya

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchStuf
    Looking pretty hard for something easy-ish. My wife is going to join in the fun of Hiking and Hammock Camping.

So with that in mind I was looking hard at something I can break her in easy with.

@hairbear - Unfortunately I have entirely to much Christmas Festivity that require my attendance this weekend. I would love to been able to go.

@Owl I was looking at that park as well. I figured it would be gentle on her, for her first time you know.

I would be all in for a Feb Hang, even possible for a Late Jan Hang as well.

I'm always open to weekend trips with folks. I dont mind long drives for a good time too. Just this time I was looking closer to home. I have been around in CO, Washington, Oregon, Arkansas (Man there is some Kick Arse Country Side there) and NM (I'll NEVER do that again). Most all of that was in my Tent Days. Back Breaking 40-ish pound Hikes.

Someone is going to ask so I will save the post later and spill the beans.

I was in Very South Central NM Tent Camping. Hiked in along this Valley Early Spring about 3 years ago. Crashed out that first night - slept like a Baby. Woke up to a Helicopter Hovering over head. (Border Patrol) So I got out realized what was going on and waved. He headed on southwest from my location.

I went off about 30 feet from the tent, took in the scenery then headed back to my open tent. (I left the tent door open.) I climbed in the tent, Zipped it up as it was still pretty cold out from the night. I kicked back on my bag looked left and there sat a nice 6in Tarantula. Not sure who made it out of the tent first... him or me but I will tell you once we were out he went one way and I went the other. Not sure who got scared more.

It was a site to behold. I still laugh as I recall that story.
    Hoot's YouTube Channel - Please Subscribe!

Hoot's Facebook Page - Visit it and give it a Like!

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    there is a town on the katy trail,rochport,it has bike rentals .there is a winery on the hill,resteraunt on the trail.make a nice romantic introduction to hiking.between there and heartburg is beautiful.there is a camp ground called coopers landing that has for tip only entertainers that perform, i loved it when i was there.they have to play their own original stuff.there were kids, through an 87 year old man who was amazing.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Looking pretty hard for something easy-ish. My wife is going to join in the fun of Hiking and Hammock Camping.

So with that in mind I was looking hard at something I can break her in easy with.

@Owl I was looking at that park as well. I figured it would be gentle on her, for her first time you know.

I would be all in for a Feb Hang, even possible for a Late Jan Hang as well.
    That park would be a pretty perfect place for her to go for a first time. You can camp/hang at the trailhead, where there's a well and vault latrines. The trails are about 4.5 miles long, and relatively easy. No real elevation changes, and a lot of it is along the lake and some beautiful scenery.

One option might be to camp the first night at the trailhead, let her get used to the idea, and then hike in and spend the next night somewhere on the trail.

If you look for the KC area hang thread, you'll see some pics and videos from the trailhead.

Looks like I may be setting up another hang in that Jan/Feb timeframe for out there, and she'd be more than welcome to come along as well. My wife might come out as well, weather dependent.

Oh, and it's free!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast