Clark UL; ENO
    Tarp
    CCS, Hexfly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR, Baby Orca
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Big Agnes System

I've been agonizing about outfitting my ENO Doublenest for winter camping and tried something with some success. I've had trouble getting into my sleeping bag while in the hammock and a foam pad kept slipping around. Last month I tried my Big Agnes 15 degree bag with the down insulated air mattress under-inflated and inserted into the sleeping bag sleeve and a KAQ synthetic underquilt. It made getting into the bag easy and I didn't slip off the pad. Unfortunately, it didn't get very cold, so I don't know how well it will perform in 20 degree weather. I'll be winter camping next month and will probably give it a try, but the UQ is awfully bulky to pack into my pack. Has anyone else explored the Big Agnes system for hanging? Any suggestions?
    "I've reached that stage in life where I'm invisible to beautiful women." - Inspector Lewis

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    A number of folks use the BA stuff. As far as sleeping bags go, it's probably the best bet to be able to get in (relatively, at least) and will help keep you on the pad, both of which are pluses.

Your setup could very well get you down to 20*, depending on the specific pad and quilt and how hot/cold you sleep. Putting a space blanket, reflectix, etc. between you and the UQ can help bring the system to a lower temp. I bit the bullet and got underquilts that will bring me down to my desired temps (especially with the help of a hammock sock to go around everything and trap some heat in - and with a hot water bottle).

Generally, though, for comfort, I recommend either getting a top quilt or using your sleeping bag like a top quilt. Like Shug does in his video here. He also provides insight into pad use. As mentioned, the BA system is the only bag I'd even consider zipping myself fully inside of, so you're okay there. But, you'll get even more comfort and flexibility with the sleeping bag as a top quilt trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFWs6UH7C74
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I have 3 Big Agnes sleeping bags and I used them for a while in my hammock with a pad inserted in them until I got my incubator UQ. Worked great, as a matter of fact, I will continue to use in conjunction with my UQ in weather below 0 degrees. I do still use them as top quilts also.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefBob View Post
    I've been agonizing about outfitting my ENO Doublenest for winter camping and tried something with some success. I've had trouble getting into my sleeping bag while in the hammock and a foam pad kept slipping around. Last month I tried my Big Agnes 15 degree bag with the down insulated air mattress under-inflated and inserted into the sleeping bag sleeve and a KAQ synthetic underquilt. It made getting into the bag easy and I didn't slip off the pad. Unfortunately, it didn't get very cold, so I don't know how well it will perform in 20 degree weather. I'll be winter camping next month and will probably give it a try, but the UQ is awfully bulky to pack into my pack. Has anyone else explored the Big Agnes system for hanging? Any suggestions?
    I still have the same BA setup and have used it to 18* last year just fine. This year I converted my BA Encampment to an UQ - that works really well. Been down to 20* no problem. I put the pad in the sleeve to make up for the lose of insulation on that side. I made it for the Mt.Rogers trip next month to supplement my down underquilt. I sleep very cold.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition & WBBB
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have a Big Agnes 5 degree bag with insulated pad. I've had it down to 10 degrees with a space blanket underneath the bag in my HH. It worked ok enough but I had to be careful around the area where the pad and the insulated bag meet. It gets a bit cool there when in a hammock.
    Measure twice, cut once.
    Constitution Woodcraft

in times of crisis some run toward the fight.

• + New Posts