Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Simple Versatile suspension

A couple of months ago, I bought an ENO doublenest, and wanted to make a suspension system that would be able to work in the widest number of ways. First off, I live in the Los Angeles area, where our mountains have a limited number of trees. I frequent the Sierra Nevada Mountains where trees are in abundance, but the circumference can be pretty large. I had not read this forum, and had I done so, I probably would have done things a little differently, but here goes. I purchased 40 feet of 9/16" climbing grade webbing from my local REI. I also purchased 4 Omega Pacific rappeling rings. I split the webbing into two pieces, and sewed a loop in each of the four ends. To hang, I simply wrap the webbing around the tree, through the loop, and down to the hammock. Then one pass through the rings, and out between the rings on the second pass to lock the webbing in place. I can then adjust the hammock with my structural ridge line that has a string level attached. This system allows me the widest range of hanging options with a minimum of complexity. I can also hang above treeline using large boulders as supports. The loops on the ends of the webbing can serve as wedges by placing a rock inside the loop. As an added bonus, the two pieces of webbing makes a nice 40 foot rescue rope (the mountains above LA are steep, so you never know...) The weight is 11 oz, which is a bit heavy. After discovering this forum, I'm going to make some whoopies, and see how they work in the Spring time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    A couple things if I may. Nylon webbing stretches so that may be something to keep in mind. You may set up and over time find your comfort changing as the webbing stretches. Also, if your SRL is to be truly structural you may need to swap out that S biner. If you set up with trees very far apart, the SRL may take on a heavier load and that S biner is not strong enough. Whoopies are fun to make and easy to use. Have fun with them.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

I hadn't noticed any stretch, but I'm new, so my hiney may not yet be sensitive to such things...I use the ridge line for setup, as I throw my pack on the hammock for some weight, and level it out while standing. Seems to work. I'll troll through the posts and see about the proper use of the ridgeline. I made it from 2.2 mm zing it cord. My first whoopie! (You never forget your first, do you?)

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnmanmike View Post
    I hadn't noticed any stretch, but I'm new, so my hiney may not yet be sensitive to such things...I use the ridge line for setup, as I throw my pack on the hammock for some weight, and level it out while standing. Seems to work. I'll troll through the posts and see about the proper use of the ridgeline. I made it from 2.2 mm zing it cord. My first whoopie! (You never forget your first, do you?)
    Looks like you purchased the "mil-spec" webbing from REI. If so, then rest easy it does not stretch. I have used it for tree straps often. If it stretches at all i can attest it is not noticeable.

Also looks like your webbing is closer to 1" than 9/16th". Hope it is closer to 1" cause 9/16 is probably not wide enough to protect the trees.

I'm pretty sure you will enjoy the whoopies! Using them will allow you to significantly reduce both the weight and the bulk of your suspension by getting rid of much of that strapping.

You might also consider replacing those two pair of ascender rings with something like a Dutch whoopie hook

It's all good. HYOH
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

I ordered my 7/64 Amsteel and hooks from Dutch last week. I plan on making whoopies (sounds kinda funny) for both my fiance's and my own hammocks. I've been reading up on the forum here, and learned more in two days than the previous two months! I plan on making continuous loops to replace the stock rope on the ENO, then girth hitching them to rap rings. I'll also hook my whoopies, and SRL to the rap rings to keep everything nice and clean (also to keep the rain off). In case of a failure of some sort, I can tie off to the rap rings with whatever I have handy. The dutch clips will be attached to the tree straps for a quick setup. I know there are a dozen ways to connect, but I like the versatility. I may carry some extra Amsteel to use as extenders should the need arise. I also look forward to experimenting with my setup in the desert and above treeline...I have some ideas, and I'll post them here.

gmcttr, that routing works on 1", but slipped on the 9/16" This webbing is also really soft. I run it twice around most trees. I have the option of being able to go around really large trees, but I haven't yet. Since I'm changing the whole kit now, I may never use it for that.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    That sounds like a great system. The only time I have noticed stretch with nylon webbing is when it gets wet. Went to sleep at knee hight. Rained over night and I was rather surprised in the morning to find I was about 6" off the ground.
    I especially fond of your putting rocks in the loops to make wedges.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    I especially fond of your putting rocks in the loops to make wedges.
    I agree! Very resourceful!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    if you only use the RL for set up, that's cool. It is used by many as a guide to getting the sag they want. It only gets tight when you have a shallower suspension angle as is the case when trees are really far apart and you cannot get the suspension high enough on the trees to maintain a 30 degree suspension angle.. Zing it is pretty strong, I was only concerned if the S biner gets some serious pull on it and no, you never forget your first.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Eagle Rock & Highland Park

How long have you been in Eagle Rock? I was there in 1968.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast