Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Notes on JRB BMBH

I've rested in the BMBH several times, napped a few times, and on 22 Dec spent my first full night sleeping in it. It's hands-down the flattest hammock I've slept in, at least from head to foot. Very easy to sleep on my side, and I spent most of the ~6 hrs in the hammock doing just that. My wife has immediately discounted every other hammock she's tried after about a minute...the BMBH is the only one she's said she'll try for a night, simply b/c of this flatness.

I did get that "shoulder roll" that folks complain about with the BMBH, though. This is something that never really bothered me while napping b/c I wasn't in there long enough. I slept so long on my side that my shoulder started hurting, so I rolled onto my back...but that wasn't comfortable b/c of the shoulder roll. I could accommodate part of it by putting my hands straight down and laying them on top of my body...but that didn't stretch my shoulder like I needed it to. If it were warmer I would have put my arms over my head, which has been comfortable while napping, but not so comfortable at 21F. Or slept on my stomach...again, pretty comfortable while resting but I don't want to breathe into the underquilt when it's cold. So I ended up staying on my side and dealing with the ache. For reference, I wear a 42-44" chest size.

I also like to pull my legs up when I'm sleeping on my side. Not quite fetal but almost...this helps me stretch my back out. The BMBH is too tight along the sides to do that. Again, this wasn't an issue while napping but over several hours I kept trying to curl up in my sleep and couldn't. This is just a peculiarity of how I sleep and may not affect others.

I haven't tested it yet with a pad inside, so that may open it up more and make it much more comfortable on my shoulders. Maybe use a Downmat 7 underneath and the MWUQ on top? That's edging up the weight but may be the most comfortable combination I've used...have to play around with that.

So like everything else, I'll give it a couple more tries before I make up my mind. And I'll have to see what my wife says b/c it's her hammock anyway. (At least I tell her that's why I bought it... )
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 12-24-2008 at 19:12.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    It will make a world of difference to the "shoulder roll" with a pad in the pocket, especially something like your Downmat 7. I love my BMB. I also love my BB. And I love my Clark. I'm a polygamist when it comes to hammocks - they all have their uses/features.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    So like everything else, I'll give it a couple more tries before I make up my mind. And I'll have to see what my wife says b/c it's her hammock anyway. (At least I tell her that's why I bought it... )
    You mean all I have to do is tell my wife the hammocks I own are really for her. Maybe make them a Christmas gift. Now I can take back the vacuum cleaner I bought her. "hey honey open another one, let's see what Santa got you.....wow another hammock, you must have been nice this year"
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Jeff, I tried out the BMBH on Dec.22 for my first hang in the new hammock and really liked it. I put it up and took it down 4 times just to make sure that I was doing it right.(Thanks Smee for the assist on the phone) No doubt about it, the flattest lay in a hammock of any that I have ever tried--Just like laying in your bed. I really did not notice any shoulder squeeze but I did sleep with a pad under the hammock for extra insulation.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    It will make a world of difference to the "shoulder roll" with a pad in the pocket, especially something like your Downmat 7. I love my BMB. I also love my BB. And I love my Clark. I'm a polygamist when it comes to hammocks - they all have their uses/features.
    I have this same love for for various hammocks and their individual pros and cons.

I just don't seem to have the shoulder issues that I had at first, though it is tempting to just sleep on my side. On my side, I seem to be able to bring my knees up enough to suit me if I slide down a bit towards the foot end. At least I think that seems to help a bit, and a wide pad also helps a bit.

Conversely, I think I gain a bit of shoulder room when I move towards the head more than normal, with the end caps functioning as part of my pillow. Though if I go to far there is a tendency for the end caps to tilt my head forward, which I have to overcome with something used as a neck pillow. Also, getting just barely/almost on my side seems to by me a little shoulder room.

On my back, I tend to sleep with my hands laying over my abdomen anyway. So it's no big deal for me to be required to have more or less that position anyway in th hammock. Arms down by my side just won't work, but I don't sleep that way anyway.

All in all, I find a lot of comfort with this set up, especially when using the MWUQ. It is absolutely the only hammock so far that has been- for me- 100% free of that pesky left calf pressure from the center ridge. Which is not to say that I can't deal with this problem in my other hammocks to obtain mucho comfort. Multiple 12 hour nights in my Claytor No Net with PeaPod last Sept. shows that I can indeed. But I is something I have to consider with all hammocks except for the BMBH.

With or without an UQ, I find that pad use with the BH is far superior to all other hammocks I have used. To the degree that it might actually improve the shoulder issues by widening the hammock a bit.

For me, the main drawback is the spreader bar/ tarp contact issue and how to deal with it, and for that, I better start a new thread.

I'm just glad that there are several excellent choices for comfortable hammocks. A person can choose among the various pros and cons according to there personal preferences.

• + New Posts