Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't see much benefit of shock cord or bungee unless it's a stretchy material like silnylon. All I own are poly or cuben fiber tarps, so it became readily apparent to me that shock cord tensioners weren't doing a darned thing on no-stretch tarps. The slingshot effect also immediately annoyed me. I lost a few stakes and never found them. They might be in orbit, for all I know.

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I regularly use reflective cord from lawsonequipment.com or other that I had on hand. I highly recommend the reflective lines, as it has helped me prevent issues in a number of settings.

I have not used shock cord with my tie outs for either my silnylon or cuben tarps, and have been happy with the performance of both regardless of conditions. For times where I have remained in the same site for multiple nights I may have adjusted my guy lines, but never had an issue with them remaining suitably taught for the conditions for the night. However, with my silnylon tarp I tend to use longer tie outs which may help compensate for some of the stretch of the tarp itself.

Really the best suggestion I can make is to try it a few times in various conditions to determine what works best for you. If you don't need the extra shock cord it can make set up and adjustment a little easier. If you find that you do need it to keep the tarp taught, then having it already in place will make any weather condition more enjoyable.

Michael

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    If you use the lawson equipment line I would recommend you "milk" it quite a bit before fusing or knotting the ends. I found the sheath to stretch quite a bit so after a while the ends of the lines end up looking like a saggy pair of socks. The line glows like a laser beam so a quick scan at night is an easy way to find your tarp.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't see much benefit of shock cord or bungee unless it's a stretchy material like silnylon. All I own are poly or cuben fiber tarps, so it became readily apparent to me that shock cord tensioners weren't doing a darned thing on no-stretch tarps. The slingshot effect also immediately annoyed me. I lost a few stakes and never found them. They might be in orbit, for all I know.
    I like the ability to swith into porch mode without adjusting the lines. Then again, I don;t cinch them down as tight on the side I use to enter (typically the side that isn't against the wind).

If I have the right abount of tension I just stick the hiking poles under and it's done in about 10 seconds for both.

It also makes getting in and out easier for me. At 6'6" I'm not a fan of stooping over when I can avoid it. This way I just push up on the tarp when standing.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I haven't tried tarp tensioners yet but I run 5ft guys on one side, and 10ft on the other to allow for porch mode. I marked one side of the ridge-line tie out D-rings with a white paint marker to indicate which side has the longer guys. This way I can set up so "porch mode" is in the direction I intend.

Right now i use 1.2mm z-line for the guys and ridge tie outs. It's a spectra sheath with dyneema core available from z-packs. 200+lb breaking strength.

Smile I Greatly Appreciate all the comments & suggestions ...

I Greatly Appreciate all comments & suggestions...

I've watched the video's, clicked on the associated links... while confused still about a little, I have come a long way in my understanding in just this 24 hours!

I don't know if I need shock cord for the Kelty Noah's Tarp, if it has any elasticity in it or not, or what set-up i'd prefer best using it... still debating on that darn size of 16 x 16 opposed to 12 x 12. The 12 x 12 is most common I know, but I need larger as well at times for multiple use, tent camping, scouts, etc. Can't afford both right now. With that thinking of getting (4) of the Kelty Adjustable Tarp Poles instead of just (2) for now. The (2) additional for situations when there are no trees present and we need cover.

I have decided on using MSR GroundHog Stakes & Lawson Reflective Glowire Cord not in stock currently but it is what it is. I can wait a little.

I have some experimenting to do... applying my engineering background, young scout know how from these youths, tips from you folks, mistakes on my behalf... the hard lessons learned, hopefully not costly, i'll get there.

I Thank You for the information, the time taken to share, direct, guide me, etc. Spare time is scarce for many of us.. THANKS

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

Thumbs up +1 ^shane^

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Mead View Post
    I am in the process of putting together some guy lines like those described here.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=tarp+guylines
    I ^shane^

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123