WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Do you use bungee on a tarp guy out?

I've been thinking about how I want to rig the tarp. Occasionally I've seen mention of using bungee cord on the tie outs. But if the tarp is catenary cut to maintain tautness, wouldn't a stretchable cord defeat the purpose of that design?

I can see elastic used - maybe - on additional tie outs sometimes seen about mid-side of large tarps. But I'm not so sure elastic would be so effective and major corner tie outs. Or would they?

Having tripped over my share of guy lines, I thought about using some reflective line - but I could run it part way and attach some length of bungee to have both.

Finally, what length do you find useful for the side tie outs. With a tent fly it is easlier - you are usually just going to ground. But with a hammock fly/tarp, often I see the sides elevated with hiking poles, sticks, etc. So if you wanted to come out about 5 ft high and then down at about a 45 degree angle, would that require the tie out to be between 7 to eight feet?

I'm pretty solid on the continuous ridgeline configuration - either over or under the tarp. Now I'm trying to figure out the rest of the guying and if I could just buy a lot of reflective line (Kelty's - $$) or just use a short section combined with something else.

How do you do it?

Thank you,
    Paul

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    The cat cut is to achieve a taut tarp, not maintain it (as well as saving a little weight with minimal loss of coverage), a silnylon tarp stretches a little, and more when wet so it is the bungee that maintains a taut tarp and saves the need to adjust guy tension. If you have a poly tarp or cuben then the bungee is less necessary.

I think most use 6-8 feet for guys, I'm still playing with mine to find the best set up for me.

I'm sure someone will post a link to how to do shock cord tensioners (I'm on my phone so it's difficult) I know headchangeforyou done a tutorial.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    when working in a bucket truck osha makes us wear a harness, with a safety line made with rubber band type stuff in it.it is to break your fall more gradualy.i use a one foot piece of 1/8 bungy at the stake,even on my cuban.i feel that it reduces the dynamic force from the wind on tie outs.i dont know if it helps ,but in high winds it doesnt go anywhere.it also gives you a little time to keep from kicking your stakes out tripping on a line.it sure makes a nice tight tarp too.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    I use bungie.on my doors for easy in and out or quick adjustmemts. I put loops half way down.shock cord and modified mitten hooks let me.tie.them.back....to the d rings or to tye ground...options galore. Also use some on entry side of my asym in storm mode to get into it since its so low and burrito like. Length is just whatever is needed for.the task.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    For reflective guywire, I use this stuff: http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Produ...wire-p881.html

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    I take about 1-foot of bungee and tie it into a loop; then, larkshead the loop onto the tarp tieouts. Attach the guyline to the bungee loop next.

Can always just attach the guyline directly to the tieout when needing a shorter length to the stake. Often will not use the bungee loop for the Ridgeline tieouts.

HYOH!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have 6 foot guylines and a few 6 and 8 foot strings in my stake stuff sack for when I want to attach something to the pullouts and then out to a trekking pole/stick and down to the ground.

The self-tensioning guylines using shock cord are very useful for silnylon tarps. As others have mentioned, when silnylon gets wet, it stretches a bit. These help take up that slack and are incredibly easy to do.

Here's the thread for it:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3731
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I've been thinking about how I want to rig the tarp. Occasionally I've seen mention of using bungee cord on the tie outs. But if the tarp is catenary cut to maintain tautness, wouldn't a stretchable cord defeat the purpose of that design?
    Yer a kayaker right? As a motorcyclist, I use 6 to 8 Nite-Ize Knotbone 5mm adjustable bungees all around on my cat cut Toxaway tarp. Works like a charm if you are careful not to over tighten. They serve a double purpose for strapping gear down to the bike (or maybe kayak) when underway.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Thank you for the cord suggestion

Thank you, thank you, thank you for giving me the alternative to Trip-tease. Looking forward to using that new, less expensive cord from Larson.

I am curious about the YoungBlood method of attachement. It is great if things are moving around. But the other method of attaching the shock cord (as a tied loop) more permanently to the guylines seems there would be less chance of leaving pieces behind and/or having everything together when needed.

I do plan on having a non-attached ridgeline cord that will move from Tarp to tarp. But figure I'll put guylines/shockcord on all tarps and keep them attached.

However, I can see that putting the ridgeline, guylines, line locks, etc. all in one bag keeps the tarp simpler and it just takes seconds to attach.

This is what happens in the winter - too much thinking and not enough doing.

But an UQ will appear soon and then I can see what it is like in the white stuff. ... Yes, I have winter stakes from my tent days.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I've never used bungies so I can't comment on them specifically. I did do research on them because it seemed like such a great idea and would be fun to make. The main problem with them that I've read about is the fact that your tent stake will be a projectile if it loosens and comes out.

While I'm not as experienced as some on here, I have been on quite a few trips. I've never had a problem with my tarp loosening during the night or rain. I setup my tarp when I get to camp and then do a quick tightening as I go to bed. The tarp has time to stretch out before bedtime.

My rig uses the dyneema guylines that have a polyester sheath. They don't stretch like nylon guylines. I have a loop on the stake end. The other end goes through the tarp ring and ends back on itself with a tautline hitch. The lines are always left on the tarp ready to go.

This setup accomplishes a few things. The line slides through the tarp side instead of digging through the dirt if your stake is buried on the stake side. Having the adjustment on the tarp side also allows you to reach out under the tarp if you do have to adjust instead of going out in the rain. You can't loose a tautline hitch and it can't break like a commercial adjuster.

Hope this helps. Just my opinion.
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast