BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    i'm not sure which material your tarp is made of?
    if silnylon, yes bungees are a good bet. if cuben, still a good bet. allows for wind/snow load to have less stress on the tie/outs. especially, imho, if they are center/side tieouts.

silnylon stretches as you know, or sags when wet. bungees keep it tighter, with little weight penalty.

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

practice

I apologize for the tough love: Practice rigging at home or at the park, to see what suits you. Don't wait until you are miles from the trailhead to find out what you need more of. Mason line, in the hand tools at Walmart, Lowe's, or Home Depot is cheap and strong enough until you measure how much you need to buy of the better line.

With practice, you will rig faster when it does matter.

I use a loop on the end of each side tie-out. I fold it back on itself to make a cinch to larkshead around a rock or a dead limb. That is one reason I'm hanging, too many rocks, not enough space to lay down. I usually hang where the wind isn't blowing since the ground surface doesn't matter to me.

New Guy Here... Need Help with this topic!

Hi Guys, many searches for info kept bringing me back here. I am in the process of purchasing a Kelty Noah's Tarp 16 x 16, I know it'd the big one. I contemplated the 12 x 12 but want it for multiple use, for Boy Scout's too. My son is a Scout, proud of him, I regretfully never was....

My dilemma: I don't know what to use or how to make Guyout lines!!! I am buying (4) of the Kelty extendable tarp poles, the heavy duty ones. I considered Kelty triptease cord, but am now looking into the Lawson Glowire Cord.. I hear it's better perhaps. I don't know what lengths to make the lines, I do want 2 per corner, and several for sides. What do I use for the inline adjusters that will HOLD in Michigan weather/winds.

Then... good stakes as well.

Thank You...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    I'll probably get flak from some of the people here for having such a non-elegant solution but I just ordered some shock cord online, cut it to fit my needs, tied it to my tarp outs, and then to my stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieCash View Post
    I'll probably get flak from some of the people here for having such a non-elegant solution but I just ordered some shock cord online, cut it to fit my needs, tied it to my tarp outs, and then to my stakes.
    Thank You! I take it you never had a gear question... a natural born hammocker.

I appreciate the hospitality... but you're probably the token funny guy though right ?

New here... ill catch on
    Last edited by Mund; 06-25-2013 at 17:26.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mund View Post
    Hi Guys, many searches for info kept bringing me back here. I am in the process of purchasing a Kelty Noah's Tarp 16 x 16, I know it'd the big one. I contemplated the 12 x 12 but want it for multiple use, for Boy Scout's too. My son is a Scout, proud of him, I regretfully never was....

My dilemma: I don't know what to use or how to make Guyout lines!!! I am buying (4) of the Kelty extendable tarp poles, the heavy duty ones. I considered Kelty triptease cord, but am now looking into the Lawson Glowire Cord.. I hear it's better perhaps. I don't know what lengths to make the lines, I do want 2 per corner, and several for sides. What do I use for the inline adjusters that will HOLD in Michigan weather/winds.

Then... good stakes as well.

Thank You...
    I did some videos with tarp intel......maybe will help.
    I use two from the ridge line 15' each of No-Tangle line. Corners are basically 6 to 8 feet. Many types of stakes. I prefer Ti stakes and tie a marlinspike knot to adjust.
    There are many other ways as well.
    Shug

http://youtu.be/0GQFuhtlaAE

http://youtu.be/Ac3pbM7o0xg
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/ W-L SS
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I am in the process of putting together some guy lines like those described here.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=tarp+guylines

Images
    I had originally skipped adding a bungee tensioner to my cuben tarp as it doesn't stretch, but while pitching it, it always seems that in the many directions you're tugging things, you end up getting one corner or side tight, only to add slack into it while doing the next.

Does that matter at all? Probably not. I had slack in Grayson Highlands with 30mph gusts and didn't have any issues with noise or anything. That being said I may give this a go and see how I like it.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Quote Originally Posted by Mund View Post
    Thank You! I take it you never had a gear question... a natural born hammocker.
    I appreciate the hospitality... but you're probably the token funny guy though right ?
    New here... ill catch on
    I'm a bit puzzled by your response. I think you took my answer as being snarky but I was being sincere.

I just use some shock cord. It's relatively light, simple, and (if you get some decent product) durable.

Granted it isn't as light as some options, but it works for me.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Do you use bungee on a tarp guy out?

Quote Originally Posted by ky chris View Post
    The main problem with them that I've read about is the fact that your tent stake will be a projectile if it loosens and comes out.
    Yep, I learned my lesson with that. I used shock cord loops on the main corner tie-outs of my silnylon tarps for years. Also full length shock cord on my doors. Worked fine and no issues.

I recently upgraded to cuben fiber. On that I opted for shock cord only on the doors since it's not necessary on the main corner tie-outs for cuben as it holds tension better and doesn't loosen up like silnylon. The first time out with my cuben tarp I tripped on a door line and launched a titanium shepherds hook stak clean through the side of my tarp! It had so much force I couldn't even find the stake it must have traveled a long way. After that I removed the shock cord and just use line on all the doors. I do use a small loop of shock cord on the door I am using to enter and exit from though otherwise it's a pain to keep the door tensioned decent when closing it. I use a metal #2 biner to connect the line to the shock cord loop on the one door. Fortunately the cuben tarp was easily repaired with cuben tape.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast