Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    UGQ 0° UQ
    Suspension
    amsteel mishmash

UGQ OMG (unexpected night in new 0° Zeppelin)

I just got a 0° Zeppelin with draft collars and resist down from Paul at Underground Quilts.

I'm pretty new to the hammock thing and although I winter hike, snowshoe, and summertime camp, I have never done any cold weather camping. Hubby has the heat down to 66 in the house and I'm cold in bed every night to give you an idea of how not warm I sleep.

Last night on a whim I decided to try out the new underquilt outside for a few minutes to see where my cold spots were and figure out what I needed to adjust. All I brought out was my ENO double nest, the underquilt, a summer weight down sleeping bag from the 60s, a little fuzzy throw blanket, and my pillow. I got everything set up, jumped in and whoa... warm.

There was no cold coming in from below or the sides. The heat I was losing through my wimpy top layers wasn't enough to chill me. Super surprised, I took off my jacket... Still warm. In fact a little too warm, so I took off my wool socks. Mind you this is with no tarp, no sock or shelter, no fancy topquilt. I figured I was mostly just warm from running around hooking stuff up so I decided to stay for a while. Although the weather was completely clear I could feel the moisture condensing out of the air onto my stuff. My sleeping bag was definitely getting moist but the moisture froze as frost on the outside of the UQ.

I pulled the fur front of my trapper hat down over my eyes and nose and pulled the blanket up over my chin and promptly fell asleep uncannily warm and toasty.

I woke up a few times from the dogs barking at unseen wildlife and each time the big dipper had marched further across the sky and I was still very warm. I was really deep down warm so I could sit up out of the blankets in just a long tee-shirt for a few minutes and look at the stars and adjust my blankets without discomfort because my core temp was normal.

I'm totally blown away. I've been awake tossing and shivering all night on fairly warm nights camping in tents and our pop-up.

My husband came out to check if I was still alive before he left for work . I'm not sure how cold it got overnight but the condensation on the outside of the underquilt was frozen. Weather was calling for 20s.

Everything was noticeably heavier carrying it in than carrying it out from the condensation. The underquilt is perfectly dry. The frost flaked off and even where I pulled it over me and it rubbed the wet blankets, the down didn't seem to absorb any of the water that I can tell.

To do it again in the same conditions or even a little colder I think I would only add a waterproof overlay over everything but my face to keep the frost off. I like not feeling like I'm inside of a tent.

Maybe it's not news to all of you, but I had no idea that gear could perform this well.

Very fast production and shipping, great quality craftsmanship, great materials, great communication. The only thing that Paul could improve on is including a newbie setup instructions. I'm sure most customers are old hands at hammocking, but I was a little baffled by all of the tabs and bungies and baffles The setup video on your site is in need of a closeup or two and maybe a shot of what to do without triangle thingies. Maybe a picture with labels ( what the heck is DWR?) With this great of a product word is sure to spread and you'll have more clueless customers like me who need a nudge in the right direction. (What are all of these little loops for for example, they look important ). Anyway, thanks a bunch from a sure to be repeat customer.

~Cindy~
    ~ʎpuıɔ~
    If you teach a child to reason they'll think for a lifetime.
    2019 Great Pumpkin https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/154092-NH-gt-Alexandria-NH-gt-Oct-11-13-2019-gt-Great-Pumpkin-Hang

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe #4 2QZQ Mod
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Just received my underquilt from Paul at Underground Quilts. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how it hangs. Each end has a bungie cord about 3 ft. long that snaps to the "d"rings with a cord lock centered on the cord. And on the long sides there are snaps that are on both ends with one end having a cord lock. I have the triangle things, I'm confused on which of the 2 above mentioned cords connects to the "d"rings on the triangle things. How is yours connected to the hammock.
    I should say I have a Henessy Hammock.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    UGQ 0° UQ
    Suspension
    amsteel mishmash
    Lol, I'm totally not the person to answer this since I barely have it figured out, but I think the long ones that go from head to foot end of the quilt hook to the triangle things. The quilt can then slide back and fourth on these cords. (In his video Paul shows tightening those quite snug) The ones with the centered cord lock I ran through the attachment points at the head and foot of the hammock and I used the cord lock to change the length of those to pull the quilt towards my head or foot to get it centered under me. The last bungies are there to snug the quilt around the hammock.
    ~ʎpuıɔ~
    If you teach a child to reason they'll think for a lifetime.
    2019 Great Pumpkin https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/154092-NH-gt-Alexandria-NH-gt-Oct-11-13-2019-gt-Great-Pumpkin-Hang

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Congratulations on a premium piece of gear!
    Why did we EVER think tents were a place to sleep?

That DWR means Durable Water Repent finish. It's whats keeping the condensation out of your underquilt.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Here are some written instruction for you on quilt setup....

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...700#post888700

Thanks for your support and your wonderful write up on your first night...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Images
    What a great report! And sounds like a very excellent piece of gear!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

Darn Tropical Islands!

Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    Here are some written instruction for you on quilt setup....

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...700#post888700

Thanks for your support and your wonderful write up on your first night...
    Service like this is why you will get my business when I have a chance to experience temps below 75. Probably a few years away due to being active duty military, but it will happen none the less.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Great review on some awesome gear!
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Went a long way toward finalizing my decision on which 0* UQ to get. Already have his 20* Flight Jacket. Looks like it's going to be a matched set.
    Just waiting for a sale of some sort...
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Love my quilts from Paul at UGQ's and they have fit 6 diff hammocks I have used them on including the RR and BMBH UL if you adjust them properly. Great UQ's as well as all the top quilts I have from Paul. I know you will enjoy as you do already your new quilt. Enjoy your hangs!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast