Tarp
    ENO Profly tarp
    Insulation
    WL SSTQ&UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images

I'm new to hammocks, here's a few questions

So, first off, I got a Grand Trunk Nano 7 with an ENO Profly raintarp. I am upgrading the suspension system with paracord and climbing rings. my questions are: 1) should I add a ridgeline? and 2) would a small bead tied on the paracord prevent the water from beading down into my hammock? Last night I tested it in the rain and my hammock got soaked from water beading in. I even had a brand new Wilderness Logics top quilt in there! Luckily, I was trying a space blanket for insulation so no water got on the quilt. But back to my questions, what do you guys think?

Don't use paracord, it stretches. I like whoopie slings and a Dutch biner for my suspension. I use it with tree straps and a toggle.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Most add a ridgeline - I do on mine, at least. It helps get the hang just right every time and gives you something to hang items from and to drape a bug net over, as needed. The standard is to have the ridgeline 83% of the length of the finished hammock.

Suspension: First, not many use paracord. It's not as strong as other options and it stretches. Polyester straps and/or amsteel (7/64, usually) are the most common options. Straps all the way around the tree to buckles near the hammock are pretty common and act as a good beginner setup. The hardware acts as a drip stop in those cases. Warbonnet sells a nice setup, as does DutchWareGear.com and a number of others.

Not sure about a bead tied on - I've never tried that, although it might work. The easiest is to tie a short piece of string (cotton shoelace, piece of yarn, etc.) to the suspension underneath the hammock but before the gathered ends.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome from Alabama. I don't want to sound harsh, but ditch the paracord dude. If you talk suspensions here, you'll get one set of people telling you to use whoopie slings and another to use webbing and buckles, but most everyone agrees that paracord is not the way to go. Try finding so many people overwhelmingly agreeing to anything else. There is way too much stretch in paracord and the rating including knots isn't as safe as you might think. I came here very high on paracord, but quickly drank the amsteel kool-aid. At redden marine amsteel is less than $0.25 a foot; buy 50' and with shipping you're less than $20. You won't be sorry. Whoopie slings are easy to make if you are into DIY. I'm sure there are people on this forum that still use paracord for suspension, so it is doable, just not recommended.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakMan View Post
    So, first off, I got a Grand Trunk Nano 7 with an ENO Profly raintarp. I am upgrading the suspension system with paracord and climbing rings. my questions are: 1) should I add a ridgeline? and 2) would a small bead tied on the paracord prevent the water from beading down into my hammock? Last night I tested it in the rain and my hammock got soaked from water beading in. I even had a brand new Wilderness Logics top quilt in there! Luckily, I was trying a space blanket for insulation so no water got on the quilt. But back to my questions, what do you guys think?
    First thing I think is that you don't want to use paracord for suspension, because (1) its breaking strength is too low to have a good marginal of safety, and (2) being nylon it will stretch.

Whatever cord you use, just tie a thin rag or cotton shoestring on the line at a spot that is under the tarp, and that will cause any rain coming down the line to drip off it, rather than continue to the hammock.

As for a ridgeline, that's personal preference. My preference is to have one, it's handy for hanging things from (e.g., headlamp, small bag to hold other "in hammock" essentials.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Images
    leave while you still got a chance. its too late for most of us, but save yourself.

still here?...........then Welcome
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I love paracord, its a great rope with a million uses I carry no less than 50' in my pack all the time... But suspension for hammocks is not one of them... I have a grand trunk ultralight... Love it, I swapped out the stock suspension to carabiners run straight through the sewn channel before I ever laid it in... I just larkshead to my tree straps and I'm done... Not infinitely adjustable like whoopies but it is a great beginner setup... I am going to change that suspension to a mini spreader bar setup soon as my amsteel arrived today... And on my other hammocks WHOOPIES!!!! They are the way to go as far as I am concerned...

Good Luck with your choices, and welcome...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    ENO Profly tarp
    Insulation
    WL SSTQ&UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    thanks for all the replies, a lot faster than I thought. I want to stay with the rings, but I hear you guys loud and clear on the paracord; I'll probably order the amsteel today. Thanks for the info everyone.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    leave while you still got a chance. its too late for most of us, but save yourself.

still here?...........then Welcome
    lol 2 funny....

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    I'm not sure anybody mentioned this yet, but paracord ain't the best for hammock suspension.
    When using descender rings, you have to be careful how they are employed. There are some rigging situations where the rope gets degraded by squeezing between the rings. I use just regular polyester straps and climbing grade carbiners. Don't try to use lightweight biners, they break and then your butt breaks when you hit the ground! Smae for the rings. Make sure they are rated for climbing. Amsteel is very good stuff for hammock suspension. I am not handy at all, but even I made some whoopies slings for a hammock that I eventually sold.
    Oh, and welcome to the board! There are a lot of really great folks here!
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast